cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Optical flow camera distortion

Hello,

After updating to the Intel Aero v1.6 O/S (and also v1.6.1), I've noticed distortion in the 640x480 greyscale optical flow camera on the right-hand side (about 25% of the image area):

I don't recall seeing this distortion when I was using the Intel v1.3.1 O/S. I suspect the difference may be the change in internal frame rate since I believe v1.6 bumped it up to 75 Hz. However, given that we are applying optical flow algorithms, this distortion is a bit of a problem. We have noticed this issue on more than one unit. Is this a known issue? Will there be a fix coming?

Thank you for your assistance.

Dan

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

I was not able to reproduce, how are you accessing the cameras? In version 1.6 the FPS were increased to 75fps. I opened the RTSP Stream via QGroundControl and did not see any distortion.

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/06-Cameras-and-Video

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

I'm using Video For Linux 2 to access the camera since I need to do some onboard processing of the video stream.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Dan,

I would like to reproduce this issue, can you please provide me the v4l2 commands that are using to access the camera?

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

i Jesus,

Rather than have you try to replicate my Video For Linux 2 application, I thought it would be easier if I just used the Camera Streaming Daemon provided by Intel with QGroundControl. Here is the video output streaming from rtsp://mydrone.local:8554/bottom:

As you can see the distortion is still there, so it is independent of V4L2 or csd, but is something fundamental to the camera or interface. The Intel Aero Compute board is mounted in the Intel RTF Drone and is connected to all three cameras on the drone.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Can you provide me the output of get_aero_version.py? You mentioned you have a second drone, do you see the same distortion on the second drone? Take a look at the screenshot from my QGroundControl video feed, I did not see any distortion on mine. I am running the following version:

root@intel-aero:~# get_aero_version.py

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.6.1 (pyro)"

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2

AeroFC firmware version = unknown

Regards,

Jesus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

My get_aero_version.py output is:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.6.1 (pyro)"

AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8

I didn't include the FPGA_VERSION or AeroFC firmware version because we don't use the AeroFC and we have our own custom FPGA. As for the other drone, we have two more sets of cameras but we can't get them working at all so far. Not sure why.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Dan,

I am checking with the engineering team about the distortion on the camera. The other cameras that you are having issue getting them to work, are you using them on Aero with v1.6.1? The streams should be running out of box.

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

We've tried the other cameras with an earlier version of the O/S with V4L2. We are waiting for a new set of cameras which we have ordered and we will try with a brand new Intel Aero Compute board with the latest O/S.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

For the cameras at our other office that showed the same distortion, O/S v1.6.0 was being used.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Can you please provide me additional pictures/information for engineering?

We would like to obtain pictures of your test configuration, how the camera is mounted on the Aero RTF and how it is orientated in relation to the target image. If you can also send over a close up of the VGA camera, both cameras side by side if possible. Have you also tried to take photos in various image resolutions or other tunable settings?

If you prefer to send additonal information privately, please open a support ticket and we can work together. https://supporttickets.intel.com/?lang=en-US

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Jesus,

We are expected to get new cameras in the next couple of days, so I will try those first. We are suspecting that the issue may be connector fatigue as the cameras have been moved around in the prototyping stage and we investigated the rating on the camera connectors on the Intel board and they appear to be rated for only 30-50 plug/unplug cycles.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I understand, please let me know once you are able to try the new cameras.

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

We received two new camera sets and have tried them out with v1.3.1 and v1.6.1 of the Intel O/S and they work fine without any distortion on both versions of the operating system. We will be getting more sets to try but at the moment it is looking as if the problem was with our other cameras or connectors. My suspicion is that the distortion was due to connector fatigue because in the prototyping stage we were moving cameras between systems. We were not doing this frequently and in all but one case the connector looked fine visually, but that is the only potential explanation I have at the moment.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

Are you working with Ubuntu?

If so, can you share the code to read video/images from the down facing camera?

Thanks, Yoni.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No, I'm working with the Yocto project. In Yocto, using V4L2, the RealSense RGB camera is /dev/video13, the separate RGB camera is /dev/video2, input=0 and the optical flow monochrome camera is /dev/video2, input=1. I don't know how they are assigned in Ubuntu.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Ok, thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Dan,

That is the only explanation I can think of too. I will mark this thread as answered. Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Thanks Jesus.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos