cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agrt
Beginner

RTF - Complete power shutdown/failure when arming motors

Jump to solution

Just received the RTF aero drone, flashed and calibrated everything as per "02 initial setup" from git. 

when using PX4 firmware and arming motor from the Remote control, motors start for a second and then electrical blackout ; meaning the drone shutdown, no power anymore. I have to "power on" the drone again by pressing the button on the PDB. So here we are talking about a major electrical issue. 

• Same behaviour from QGC app. - Arming from the User interface lead to the behaviour above
  • Same behaviour with ardupilot and APM, (ardupilot firmware coming from /etc/... )
  • Same behaviour with ardupilot and QGC. 
  • Same behaviour by editing a python script to Arm/disarm (launched from SSH).

That being said, using PX4 and QGC, with the propellers removed, when I click on the takeoff button and bypassing arming, motors starts and stay running... Bypassing arming seem's to let the motor starting, so no defect on the motors themselves.

However, when clicking on the landing button, blackout again, drone shutdown completely. 

Shall I consider to have been received a defective unit/drone

rgds. 

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.16 OS_VERSION = Poky Aero (Intel Aero Linux Distro) 1.6.2 (pyro) AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8 FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2 AeroFC firmware version = 1.6.5

Side notes :

• Basic setup - "out of the box" ; nothing has been changed by myself on the Hardware side nor software as well, except flashing.
  • Anyhow, same behaviour applied before flashing everything.
  • Drone is powered through a wall socket - 12v - 5A
  • From QGC - Voltage ~12.30v
  • In the current state the drone is inoperative and unusable
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hi agrt, The motors require a lot of current when armed and is causing power failure since the wall socket adapter only provides 5 Amps. It is only recommended for bench programming, not flying. You would need to use a Li-Po battery to test the motors and fly. Regards, Alexandra

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hi agrt, Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero RTF drone. How often do you see this behavior and how long does it take until the drone powers off? You mentioned that the drone is powered through a wall socket. How about when you try to fly it? Did you attach a battery and observed the same behavior? Regards, Alexandra
agrt
Beginner

Hello Alexandra,

• How often ? every time I arm the motors.
  • How long it take until the drone powers off ? < ~2 seconds (just the time to see the first rotations of the motors, then blackout)
  • I currently only have a power wall socket . The behavior occur when I try to fly the drone (thus arming the motors) from the RC or from my laptop.

I do not have batteries and wonder if it make sense to buy them since the drone sounds inoperative.

What do to next ? from Your standpoint, which parts of the drone can lead to such failure ? PDB ? ESC ? Motors ? Software ? need help and advices from Intel. rgds

agrt
Beginner

I made a video and published it on Youtube.

Hi agrt, The motors require a lot of current when armed and is causing power failure since the wall socket adapter only provides 5 Amps. It is only recommended for bench programming, not flying. You would need to use a Li-Po battery to test the motors and fly. Regards, Alexandra

View solution in original post