Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PHaas
New Contributor I

RTF Drone Flight Instability

So I have been struggling with getting my RTF to fly stably. It seems like the front motors are exerting more power than the rear motors causing it to take off with the behavior shown in the video.

In the video the drone is supposed to be hovering, but instead flew forward pretty quickly and I had to quickly disarm the motors.

The setting is on manual flight mode.

I have installed and reinstalled the firmware many times.

I have reinstalled the OS many times.

The compass/GPS unit is secured firmly and facing the correct orientation.

All of my firmware is up to date, the bios is up to date, all of the sensors and the RC is calibrated and showing correct compass orientation and attitude in QGC.

I do not believe the 3d printed propeller guards are causing a problem with weight imbalance, I observed this behavior without them attached.

I took out the middle support of the frame so I could better center the battery for balance but this did not appear to change anything.

The state estimator being used was LPE but I have observed this in behavior in EKF2 also.

I am using Ubuntu as the operating system but first installed the latest Yocto image.

QGC is connected to the drone via the Hotspot

Thank you in advance for your help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvafwkuf5md3w1e/DJI_0039.MP4?dl=0 Dropbox - DJI_0039.MP4

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PHaas
New Contributor I

I just noticed something after calibrating the RC. With the left thumb stick at center, the yaw defaults a large distance from the zero point as shown in image.

PHaas
New Contributor I

I may have answered my own problem, at least most of it. I will let you all know after I get the chance to fly it. \

So, this project I have been working on is the first time I have used a drone and it was very unclear in the RC calibration instructions on how to zero out the channels. I didnt realize that that's what those little switches were for. This may be an issue other users are experiencing with having unstable flight. It might be useful to add this clarification in the Wiki instructions.

idata
Community Manager

Hi mikeyscience2,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

First, please make sure you are booting in the right kernel.

The output of the command uname -a should be:

Linux frelon 4.4.76-aero-1.2 # 1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 6 19:42:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Let me know if you have the same problem when you fly the drone. I am going to close this case but it will automatically reopen when you reply to this message.

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hi Alexandra,

How do I switch to boot from a different Kernel?

Is the following Kernel ok?

yoni@yoni:~$ uname -a

Linux yoni 4.4.76-aero-1.2 # 1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 9 21:20:17 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thank you

PHaas
New Contributor I

I am booting in the correct kernel

Linux robou-CherryTrail 4.4.76-aero-1.2 # 1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 21 09:55:38 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have flown the drone since I zeroed out the trims. It now has an issue where it slowly spins in all flight modes.

My firmware is up to date

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2

AeroFC firmware version = 1.6.5

I added the flight logs from my last attempts. The first one was in manual, the second was in altitude, and the third was in position.

idata
Community Manager

Hi mikeyscience2,

Have you done a frame reset after updating to the latest software?

Is the flight behavior the same when using the Ardupilot flight stack?

Regards,

Alexandra
PHaas
New Contributor I

I've done a frame reset and the behavior was the same. I just finished trying to fly it with the ardupilot flight stack. It does not spin uncontrollably anymore but it does not hover, it bounces up and down. It sometimes briefly maintains altitude but then comes back down and hits the ground. I'll have the throttle all the way up and it won't maintain any altitude.

idata
Community Manager

Hi mikeyscience2,

Did you see the same behavior when the drone was out of the box?

Could you fly with the following switch positions and send us a video?

Aux switch position 0, flap switch position 0, rate switch position "Hi", flight mode position 2 (GPS) and Motor/Thro position "Arm"

Make sure the trims are still centered.

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hi mikeyscience2,

Do you still need help with this issue?

Regards,

Alexandra
PHaas
New Contributor I

sorry, I have not been able to try out what you said. I am having gps/compass issues