Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Running a recent kernel on the Aero board

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I am trying to install a recent kernel but run into issues. The stock ubuntu kernel version 4.13 runs fine but anything above will lead to file system errors similar to https://askubuntu.com/questions/905710/ext4-fs-error-after-ubuntu-17-04-upgrade filesystem - EXT4-fs error after Ubuntu 17.04 upgrade - Ask Ubuntu except that I am trying to install onto a USB flash drive. I tried compiling an upstream kernel and that leads to the same issue. acpi=off seems to be the only workaround. On a similar note, installing a recent ubuntu seems to be running into similar (squashfs) filesystem errors. Has anybody else seen this behavior and any potential workarounds ?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Compute Board.

Why are you trying to update the kernel?

You should be booting into this kernel, since it was customized for Aero to work:

Linux frelon 4.4.76-aero-1.2 # 1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 6 19:42:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,

Alexandra

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Bandan,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Compute Board.

Why are you trying to update the kernel?

You should be booting into this kernel, since it was customized for Aero to work:

Linux frelon 4.4.76-aero-1.2 # 1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 6 19:42:57 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,

Alexandra

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for getting back, Alexandra. I am working on the IIO interface in the kernel and I wanted to base my work on top of a more recent kernel. 4.13.0-16 in ubuntu 17.10 does work but anything later doesn't which appears to be a regression and I was wondering if anyone has more information before I go bisecting By the way, IIRC, the last time I checked, the IIO drivers in the aero kernel were incomplete which made me jump to an upstream one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

The Aero kernel is a patched ubuntu kernel with patches specifically for Aero. You can take a look at how it's built here:

https://github.com/intel-aero/packages/tree/master/aero-kernel/patches-4.4 packages/aero-kernel/patches-4.4 at master · intel-aero/packages · GitHub

You might need some of those patches for everything to work correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the link. I am still going through the patches in the link and see some/sections of them are already upstream. Indeed, my next step is to apply these on top of an upstream kernel and see if it changes anything. Thanks again!

0 Kudos