cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Solid State Drive Instalation on Aero Ready to Fly drone

Hello!

I'm working with your development drone, Aero Ready to Fly, and also your D435i Camera. My goal is to record some bag files for research purposes, and since the drone by itself has a very limited amount of storage memory I needed to upgrade it, installing an SSD, specifically the Kingston A200 256GB.

The problem is that I'm not able to install the SSD on the drone when I boot it using the customized kernel, 4.4.76-aero-1.2. Although the SSD is detected if I list the PCI connections (sudo lspci) when I list the available blocks (sudo lsblk) no NVME block is detected. This prevents me from mounting the SSD. Even using gparted or some identical tool the SSD is not detected.

The funny part is that if I boot using a different kernel, for instance 4.10.x, the SSD is detected and I can mount it. Unfortunately with this kernel I'm currently able to run mavros in order to obtain data from the onboard IMU.

In sum, there are two ways of solving this problem. Run mavros in a different kernel, for instance 4.10.x, or make the SSD recognizable on the customized kernel. Since I can't find any information regarding these procedures, can you help me with one of these solutions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Re: Solid State Drive Instalation on Aero Ready to Fly drone

@MartyG​ will be able to assist you with this.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

It sounds as though it is an Aero drone problem rather than a RealSense one. ​I researched your case very carefully but did not find a solution for detecting the NVME block. A third way that someone used was to install Ubuntu on the MMC, boot from the MMC and mount the SSD as a media drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello!

Thanks for the answers and support. The solution that you've suggest makes sense and works, but it depends on the kernel version that I use. As I said, if I use a different kernel I can mount the SSD as media. The downside is that I can not access to the IMU data. I guess that, unfortunately, there is no solution for this problem...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

I researched the subject further and found some notes that somebody had made about using NVME with Intel Aero on Yocto.

https://github.com/CogRob/intel-aero-notes/tree/master/yocto-nvme

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks once again for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm currently stuck on a very bad situation.

I was trying to flash the Intel Aero Linux distribution (https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup) in order to reset the drone to factory settings and also to install Yocto, so I could follow the notes that you found. The problem is that now nothing works!! I've created an USB drive with the .iso image, then I installed it on the drone. Now the drone keeps restarting in loop with no end. It shows the "Intel Aero Platform for UAVs" but then it restarts, showing the same message and repeating the loop.

I can enter in the bios but I can't boot from an USB drive neither from a file. Every time that I try to do that, it restarts and starts the loop once again.

Can you please help me??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

After you installed the image on the storage on the board, did you remove the USB stick so that the board can boot from its internal storage next time that you boot it (if it is set in the BIOS to boot from internal storage)? I believe that is usually how OS installations from USB stick work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, after the installation I've removed the USB drive, but the drone doesn't boot. I can not even enter in the Internal EFI shell...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

I ​would recommend starting at absolute basics by flashing the BIOS with file aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm to make sure that the system can boot, even if the OS has problems.

You can download the BIOS updater on its own, separate from the iso.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27833/Intel-Aero-Platform-for-UAVs-Installation-Files?v=t

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the answer and availability!

Do you how can I flash the bios without the terminal or shell? When I put the .rpm file on a USB drive the BIOS does not detect that file so I can't run it.

After some investigation I found someone that had the same problem as me: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490RsSSAU/efi-issues-with-the-aero-board. His solution was to send the board to Intel so they could re-flash the BIOS since it could be corruption of the BIOS. Can you help me with this solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

I researched this extensively without much luck. If you can access BIOS then it may be best to see if it has an option to reset the BIOS to its default / factory configuration. This may fix it if the problem is due to a setting rather than a corruption.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've tried that but unfortunately had no success.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Sending the board to Intel would not be an option any more, as Intel no longer provide support for the Intel Aero drone platform.

I located a case where someone else was getting restarts during boot. They found that they could get into the grub command line if they pressed F2 during boot.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P0000069E7jSAE

I am off-shift for the day now as it is midnight in my time zone. I will be back in 7 hours from the time of writing this and will be happy to continue the support conversation if you still need assistance. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the late response. Only now I could try that suggestion and unfortunately the drone does nothing when I press F2, it keeps rebooting. The drone only responds if I press ESC, entering on the BIOS options.

Regarding the Intel support, that's very sad news. Either way, after some investigation I found that Intel boards usually have some way to reset the bios (removing the coin battery or jumper). Do you know if a similar procedure is possible with this board?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Removing the coin-like CMOS battery or using a jumper are ancient but effective board reset techniques. I read somewhere though that the Compute Board does not store its settings, suggesting that taking the battery out would therefore not change the BIOS config.

I did see that if Esc is pressed during boot-up when the boot splash image is displayed then a "Setup Utility" option should be available. Is that displayed on yours, please? If it is, does it do anything significant or is it just the option to enter the BIOS settings?

There was a discussion on connecting to the drone via wi-fi on an "SSH" remote connection from a computer to correct BIOS issues.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490WQK/bios-factory-reset?language=en_US

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Marty,

Sorry for the late reply but since I'm currently researching I was trying to find a solution for the "dead" RTF drone. Nevertheless, I'm still interested on finding a solution to fix the current problem.

Attach you will find a video showing the boot loop and also some pictures of everything that I still (and only) have access to. I hope this helps finding some type of solution.

Regarding the ssh connection, I simply can't do it since the drone is not connected to any network (that I know of).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

If it were possible to boot from USB then having the Aero .iso image on the stick would be the ideal, since it contains the BIOS flash file as well and so presumably the BIOS would get updated if the .iso image file was able to be installed.

The newest iso image version available is in the link below, in a file called intel-aero-image-1.6.2.iso

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27833/Intel-Aero-Platform-for-UAVs-Installation-Files?v=t

An iso file is different from an rpm file, as it should be a complete backup of the drone as it was when purchased. So installing it should restore the Compute Board to its factory-new state,

The iso file from the link above is written to the USB stick using these instructions:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup#create-an-usb-drive-to-flash-the...

When the drone has been set to boot from USB in the BIOS, booting with the stick inserted should provide an "Install" option to select when the iso file is detected on the stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the answer and advice. Unfortunately I'm not able to boot from a USB stick. Although the USB stick is detected by the BIOS, when I force the Aero to boot from it, it simply doesn't boot. The drone reboots and nothing happens. Without Intel's technical support, sadly, I think that this board will not recover.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

There was a case of an Aero user who had drive problems because their USB cable was not designed for OTG connection. Though if you bought the drone as a complete Ready to Fly kit, I imagine it would have had an official OTG cable included?

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490SEmSAM/intel-aero-rtf-do-not-see-usb-periferals?lang...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Also found Aero info about installing a drive image from USB, saying that you should go into BIOS to install a drive image instead of waiting for it to get to the Intel logo screen.

Power up the board and press Escape at splash screen to enter BIOS setup

Select Boot Manager

Under EFI Boot Devices select EFI USB Device

In GRUB menu, select Install

Follow the console prompts to install image to the eMMC

Console will prompt the user to remove the USB installer and press enter

This will reboot the system into new image

The information was taken from here:

https://usermanual.wiki/Pdf/IntelAeroRTFGuide.999579116/help

0 Kudos