Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

Up/Down positions on left stick on DXe not working

I'm calibrating the radio through QGroundControl, but it gets stuck every time I get to a point in the program where it asks me to move the left stick all the way up. It doesn't seem to register. Left/right/up/down on the right stick work, and left/right on the left stick work, but up/down on this stick doesn't work. I tried Mode 1 and Mode 2.

With the positions that work, I can feel resistance against the stick, like I'm pushing against a spring, and when I let go it returns back to the center. When I move the left stick up and down, I feel no resistance and I have to move it back manually. This tells me that there is some hardware problem with how the stick is connected.

Is this something user serviceable? If I unscrew the back of the DXe, will it be reasonably easy to fix this stick, or should I return this DXe for repair/replacement?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi JoshDavisNC,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

Are you following this guide?

https://docs.qgroundcontrol.com/en/SetupView/Radio.html

Could you watch the video below and let me know if you see a different behavior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91VGmdSlbo4&feature=youtu.be&t=4m30s

Regards,

Alexandra
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

Hey, thanks for the response.

I am seeing a different behavior than the video. When the person in the video moves the throttle up and down, channel 3 on the channel monitor moves up and down in response. When I move the throttle up and down, there is no response on my channel monitor.

The channel monitor responds to left-right movement on the left stick, and it responds correctly to all four directions on the right stick.

I replaced the Spectrum DXe with a new one, and I'm still seeing this same issue.

idata
Community Manager

Hi JoshDavisNC,

There is one more thing I want to add. If you open it, you might lose your warranty.

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hi JoshDavisNC,

Do you still need help with your issue?

Regards,

Alexandra
idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

We've also experienced this behaviour at one point.

It's not necessarily a hardware issue.

You can try reflashing the firmware for the flight controller and make sure it's up to date.

What OS are you running on Aero?

Have you installed the PX4 firmware or Ardupilot?

Regards,

Octavian
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I reflashed the firmware yesterday, when I got the new Spectrum DXe.

I have tried with Yocto and Ubuntu on the Aero, and it didn't make any difference.

I installed PX4 firmware. Should I try the Ardupilot instead?

idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

Yes, try with Ardupilot and see if it works.

That's the same way we did it.

Regards,

Octavian
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I get the same behavior with Ardupilot. It still doesn't register the up-down movement of the left stick.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

Thank you for your reply.

What device are you running Qgroundcontrol from to do the calibration?

I would advice you to change the host computer/ device you run Qgroundcontrol from.

Try a different computer or a phone/tablet.

You can also install Qgroundcontrol directly on the Aero and run it from there if you have Ubuntu installed.

Regards,

Octavian
idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

Do you require any more assistance with this issue?

Regards,

Octavian
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I haven't had a chance to attempt the next step yet. I will reply here to let you know whether it worked.

JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I was originally runningQGroundControl on an Android tablet. I just tried running it directly on the drone and I'm still seeing the exact same behavior.

JoshDavisNC
Beginner

Do you have any more ideas?

I can't arm the motors with the DXe by holding the throttle in the bottom right position, and I suspect it's because the drone isn't receiving the up/down position of the throttle stick. I can make the drone take off and land by using QGroundControl running on an Android tablet, but I can't do anything with the DXe.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

I think you need to make sure that you set the lower right switch to "arm" and set the rate to "high" on the controller.

The following link might be helpful: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/03-First-flight# first-flight-with-the-remote-control-transmitter https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/03-First-flight# first-flight-with-the-remote-control-transmitter

Additionally, it is important to know that the throttle on the left stick intentionally doesn't have springs and that it's designed as such, not an issue with the controller.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Casandra
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I'm following those steps exactly. I don't believe the drone is receiving input from the throttle control. The radio calibration procedure in QGroundControl gets stuck on the step where it tells me to move the throttle up, because it can't tell that I am moving the throttle. All of the other stick movements (left/right and up/down on the right stick, and left/right on the left stick, but not up/down on the left stick) are reflected in the slider widgets in the QGroundControl app.

The orange led on the receiver on the bottom of the drone and the orange led on the transmitter are both solid, which I assume means they are paired correctly.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Josh,

Can you please try to follow the steps in the following link:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/03-First-flight

Chapter 8. Troubleshooting

The orange LED on the remote control receiver is blinking:

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Casandra

JoshDavisNC
Beginner

The orange LED on the remote control receiver is not blinking.

idata
Community Manager

Hello JoshDavisNC,

Could I ask you to please send me a screenshot of the QGroundControl Summary?

Maybe this would help us understand the issue better.

Thank you in advance,

Casandra
JoshDavisNC
Beginner

Here is the screenshot.

JoshDavisNC
Beginner

I did nothing differently, but I tested again today and the throttle control is now working in the calibration screen, so I am now able to calibrate the DXe correctly.

However, I am still unable to arm with the DXe. I have all of the switches in the forward (away) position -- flight mode=0, motor/throttle=arm, aux=0, flap=09, and rate=hi -- and I held the throttle/yaw stick down and to the right for a full minute, but the motors would not arm. I double-checked to ensure that the orange led on the bottom of the drone was solid (not blinking) and it was solid.