cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

VGA camera issue with VIDIOC_S_FMT

Hi,

I know there is at least one more thread for the same issue but I did not see a resolution so I decided to open a new thread for the same.

I am getting err = -1 when trying to set the format on the VGA camera using VIDIOC_S_FMT as the ioctl request code. I tried using different supported pixel formats (YUV, RGB..)

Has anyone been able to find the answer to this ?

ioctl(camera->fd, VIDIOC_S_FMT, &format)

MartyG

intel_corp

best

Rohan

26 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Is there a solution to why the ioctls fail ? The command C=10 INPUT=0 MODE=PREVIEW ./capture_examples --userp -d /dev/video0 works and does the above. I am calling the same ioctls in my app. This is taking way too much of my time on something that seems to be either a hardware/kernel issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Rohan,

Glad to hear you're able to take pictures with the camera. However, we're unsure why you're still receiving those errors if you're now able to take pictures with the camera.

When we added the sample-apps layer and managed to use the camera, the error 22 would disappear. Would you please let us know, now after adding the sample-apps, what other commands of settings have you changed to receive VIDIOC_S_FMT or STREAMON errors? Could you share more information about your app?

-Sergio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

As you see the below works. It uses MODE=PREVIEW.

root@intel-aero:~# C=10 INPUT=0 MODE=PREVIEW ./capture_examples --userp -d /dev/video0

Preview mode: 640x480, yuv420.

m_width 640, m_height 480, m_sizeimage 462848, m_padded_width:640, bytesperline 640

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-0.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-1.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-2.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-3.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-4.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-5.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-6.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-7.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-8.yuv420

Saving file: Image-video2-640x480-9.yuv420

Preview: Time=334.389000ms FPS=29.905290

When I tried using MODE=VIDEO, I got the error 22. Can you tell me if this camera is not set up for VIDEO streaming ?

root@intel-aero:~# C=10 INPUT=0 MODE=VIDEO ./capture_examples --userp -d /dev/video0

Video mode: 640x480, yuv420.

Setting fps to 30

VIDIOC_S_FMT error 22, Invalid argument

Also, in my app, I am doing almot exactly what capturev4l2 is doing in v4l2_obj.cpp. What would you like to know ?

best

Rohan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Sergio,

I can now detect the ov7251 camera in my app. I still have to try capturing images and video streaming using it from my app, but its a start. I will keep you updated via this thread.

Thanks

Rohan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Rohan,

Yes, please keep us updated. We'll also run some tests on our end to see if we make some progress using MODE=VIDEO.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I do not think VIDEO is working. But let me know what you find. Also, I am trying to use the frames I get with gstreamer and QGC but that seems to not be working like the way it did with realsense R200. here is my pipeline construction -

snprintf(str_pipeline, sizeof( str_pipeline ), "appsrc name=mysource ! videoconvert ! "

"video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,format=NV12 ! rtpjpegpay ! jpegenc ! videocrop top=0 left=0 right=40 bottom=10 ! " "udpsink host=%s port=5600", "192.168.8.2");

pipeline = gst_parse_launch( str_pipeline, &error );

appsrc = gst_bin_get_by_name( GST_BIN( pipeline ), "mysource" );

app_caps = gst_caps_new_simple( "video/x-raw", "format", G_TYPE_STRING, "I420",

"width", G_TYPE_INT, WIDTH, "height", G_TYPE_INT, HEIGHT, NULL );

gst_app_src_set_caps( GST_APP_SRC( appsrc ), app_caps );

gstbuffer = gst_buffer_new_wrapped_full( ( GstMemoryFlags )0, frame_ptr, gst_size, 0, gst_size, NULL, NULL ); // frame_ptr and gst_size are the buffer and sizes respectively.

g_signal_emit_by_name( appsrc, "push-buffer", gstbuffer, &ret );

192.168.8.2 is my ubuntu machine where QGC is installed.

Thanks

Rohan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

HI Sergio,

I have talked to some Intel engineers who work on the intel aero and it seems the VIDEO mode is not tested. Only the PREVIEW mode. Can you please confirm your results with VIDEO mode ?

Also there seems to be an issue with streaming using ov7251 - I have opened a bug for it. Have you been able to stream using ov7251 using gstreamer and QGC ?

best

Rohan

0 Kudos