Intel® Aero Platform For UAVs
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
This is a peer-to-peer only forum. This forum is not monitored by Intel.
774 Discussions

Works for Yocto, but cannot install Ubuntu 16.04

VNadk1
Beginner

I have (had) Yocto working on my Intel Aero drone perfectly, including connecting with QGroundControl. I also upgraded the Bios and Flash to version. When I ran aero-get-version.py it gave me the BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.16, OS_VERSION = v1.6.2, AIRMAP_VERSION = 1.8, FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2 and Aero FC Firmware Version = 3.5.3. No problems with Yocto at all.

I created the usual Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS Desktop USB (ubuntu-16.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso). When I try installing it, it momentarily flashed an error that said "Error, cannot find /boot", but then on pressing Esc went to the GRUB 2.0 menu that showed "Try Ubuntu without installing", "Install Ubuntu", "OEM Install.." and "Check disk for defects".

When I entered "Install Ubuntu", it reached the initial Ubuntu splash screen with the Ubuntu logo and the cycling orange and white dots. However, it did not get beyond this even after 1 hr. This this once again and same thing. Then I tried "Try Ubuntu without installing" -- same thing, and then "OEM Install.." -- same thing. Just stays stuck on the Ubuntu logo with cycling dots.

Just to make sure there was no problem with the Flash disk, I tried "Check disk for defects" and it went through all the checks and finally returned "Check finished no errors found. Press any key to reboot your system".

Can you please tell me how to install Ubuntu? Otherwise I have a $1000+ brick...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello VNadk1, Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Ready to Fly drone. Firstly, please use the version Ubuntu 16.04.3 for Intel Aero. We did not received this issue when we flashed the drone, so most probability it is related to the USB stick you are using. We recommend checking with a new USB stick. Also, please make sure that you are following these instructions when flashing the image: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation#os Thank you and best regards, Eliza

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello VNadk1, Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Ready to Fly drone. Firstly, please use the version Ubuntu 16.04.3 for Intel Aero. We did not received this issue when we flashed the drone, so most probability it is related to the USB stick you are using. We recommend checking with a new USB stick. Also, please make sure that you are following these instructions when flashing the image: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation#os Thank you and best regards, Eliza
LostCompass
Novice

Hi, 

As a follow up on this issue, I successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 x64 Desktop on the Intel RTF Drone. But when i follow the instructions at theis link: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-%28References%29-OS-user-Installation#intel-ae...

I face two problems: 

1. sudo pip install pymavlink gives errors and doesnt install. Sometimes it complains of "module typing not found". i solved that by running "sudo pip install --upgrade setuptools" but then it ran into another error that just complains of syntax error. I tried searching online for all the different errors I got and tried a bunch of things using pip3, updating pip, upgrading setuptools...etc. Nothing works. 
  2. So I left the installation of pymavlink to come back to after i have installed aero-system using the command given in the instructions on the page linked above: sudo apt-get -y install aero-system; sudo reboot. Everything goes smoothly until it reboots. On rebooting, an orange screen comes up and displays:

Loading linux 4.4.76-aero-1.2 ...

Loading initial ramdisk ...     <- (and it gets stuck here forever. Never actually boots back up. )

I tried going to the grub menu and booting into recovery mode as well but it still displays the same message. 

Do you think its something to do with the version of the aero-repo I install. Is it outdated? or broken?  Would really appreciate some help please. 

Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello VNadk1, We would like to know if the solution above mentioned worked for you and if you have further questions on this matter. Thank you and best regards, Eliza