Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JJerr2
Novice

intel aero drone - can't mount /dev/sda1? - not a block device

attempting to upgrade OS/firmware on Intel Aero Drone. have located an USB 3.1 OTG cable and have created a USB with the .iso image burned there.

following the instructions here ==> https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup# flashing 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

Flash Intel Aero Linux distribution

Connect the USB drive to Intel Aero using the OTG cable.

If you already have a system with firmware v1.2 or more recent, type the command:

aero-reboot-update.py

If this command does not work, it means you have an older version. Type:

mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot} mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/iso mount -o loop,ro /tmp/iso/rootfs.img /tmp/newroot /tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py

The commands above will verify you have a valid USB drive connected, do some sanity checks and reboot into the update image.

>>>>> since my intel aero drone has firmware prior to v1.2, entered these commands ...

1) mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot}

2) mount -o ro /dev/sda1 <=== this command is failing with the error message (/dev/sda1 is not a block device)

what to do? I have used Etcher on a Mac to re-burn the .iso image, and have checked the md5 is correct.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello jdoob,

Thanks for reaching out!

Let's try to see if your Aero is detecting the USB drive and if so how the system is naming it. To do so, with the USB not connected, enter the command ls /dev and capture the output. Then connect your USB drive and enter again the command ls /dev, if the board is detecting it you should see one more result, if so, how is it called?

Let me know.

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

Pedro,

Thanks for your response.

I did the test you mentioned and the Intel Aero Drone did not add any entries to the /dev directory.

1) boot drone without USB stick device connected via OTG cable ==> ls -1 /dev | wc -l response was 717 entries.

2) boot drone with USB stick device connected via OTG cable ==> ls -1 /dev | wc -l response was 717 entries.

3) tried to a few different USB sticks that I had used for transfer files, but drone did not recognize any of them (always getting same entires in /dev).

is there an /etc/fstab or some config file to be looked at to see if USB support is enabled?

thanks for your help.

Jerry

idata
Community Manager

That is strange, the board should be able to detect the USB drive, I mean, USB support should be enabled by default, you shouldn't have to modify any configuration.

Could you please show us a picture of the physical connection? Also, you mentioned that you used several USB drives, do they all work fine on other devices, for example, your PC?

Let me know.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Hello jdoob,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

Pedro,

I tried a few other USB sticks (some new, some old) but cannot get the Intel Aero Drone to recognize the USB stick.

I tried a few different USB OTG cables, and even using a USB hub, but cannot get the USB stick to be found.

when I try to access /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, or /dev/sda - getting the error message - 'not a block device'.

NOTE: I received the Intel Aero Drone from a previous developer project, so things (config files) may have been changed prior

to the drone being in my possession.

Is it possible to review the files (/etc/...) that would enable USB support of the Intel Aero Drone?

guessing it would be /dev/mtab, /dev/fstab? (and maybe other files).

what steps can I take to make sure that the USB port is working at the hardware level?

thanks in advance,

jdoob

idata
Community Manager

I understand, yes, perhaps the person that used your Aero before you didn't want anyone to connect a flash drive to the board. I just checked on my Aero and as expected the flash drive was recognized without any issues. In case you are interested, this is the content of fstab on my Aero:

# stock fstab - you probably want to override this with a machine specific one

/dev/root / auto defaults 1 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

tmpfs /run tmpfs mode=0755,nodev,nosuid,strictatime 0 0

tmpfs /var/volatile tmpfs defaults 0 0

# uncomment this if your device has a SD/MMC/Transflash slot

# /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/card auto defaults,sync,noauto 0 0

/dev/disk/by-partuuid/d9614c23-a0c4-4df3-9ca1-98807733fc9d swap swap defaults 0 0

UUID=8F81-69F6 /boot vfat defaults 1 2

You might want to check if yours has been modified.

Let me know.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Hello jdoob,

Do you have any updates about this?

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

Pedro,

no luck on the issue with the Intel Aero Drone not finding the USB stick when using a USB OTG cable (same cable as in the wiki picture here => https://github.com/intel-aero/Documents/raw/master/doc_photos/cables_usb-hdmi-connected.jpg https://github.com/intel-aero/Documents/raw/master/doc_photos/cables_usb-hdmi-connected.jpg ).

I have purchased a USB 3.0 HUB and USB keyboard, and now attempting to plug the US stick into the HUB,

and see if that works at all.

when looking at the /var/messages and boot log, seeing some errors there, so wondering if the Linux bootup process

has been tampered with since I received this drone from a prior project and not sure how to do a factory reset?

any ideas on where to go from here. at this point USB device cannot be found, so what are other options?

thanks in advance for further assistance,

Jerry

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I did face the same issue. It worked for me when i used sdb1 instead of sda1.

Kind Regards

Jay

JJerr2
Novice

thanks Jay, but no entry in /dev matching "sdb1" or anything like that.

there are entry for /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda.

but none of those work, they all return "not a block device".

idata
Community Manager

This issue is strange, let us know if the HUB helps.

However, if it doesn't, the option left is to use the Compute Board's SD Card slot instead of the flash drive. As you can see in https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/25/d5/Intel-Aero-Compute-Board-Getting-Starte... https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/25/d5/Intel-Aero-Compute-Board-Getting-Starte..., the board has a SD Card slot, why don't you check if it is able to detect a SD Card? And if it does, why don't you try to replace the flash drive with the SD Card in the flashing procedure.

We will be waiting for your reply.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Hello jdoob,

Please connect a HDMI monitor to the micro HDMI port, a USB Hub with mouse/keyboard and a bootable USB stick to the Intel Aero RTF Drone and then try the following steps:

1. Power on the drone

2. Hit escape on the keyboard

3. Check bios version (Aero-01.00.XX)

4. Select "Boot Manager"

5. Select the EFI USB Device

6. Select "install" from the grub menu

Also please send us a picture of the setup connecting the hub to the USB 3.0 OTG port.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Pedro M.
idata
Community Manager

Thank you for going through these steps, please let us check your output and analyze the next steps. We'll get back to you as quickly as possible.

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

why are you attempting to update the Intel Aero Drone compute board with Intel i7 firmware?

According to the Intel docs, the Intel Aero Drone has an Intel Atom chip.

this does not seem like the correct link.

idata
Community Manager

Hi jdoob,

That is a very strange message, try flashing the same bios to reset the settings and see if the USB can be detected. You can also try the previous bios version.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26389/eng/capsule-01.00.11-r0.core2_64.rpm

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26500/eng/capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm

The python script is not there because it's an older version of the image. Once the drone is able to detect the USB we can update the image. Try flashing another version of the image.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26748/eng/intel-aero-image-intel-aero.iso

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

Pedro, you indicated to update the Intel Aero Drone BIOS, so here's what I tried:

1. downloaded ==> capsule-01.00.11-r0.core2_64.rpm to my ~/Downloads folder

2. booted my Intel Aero Drone

3) connected to the Intel Aero Drone wifi access point

4) copied RPM to drone

scp ~/Downloads/capsule-01.00.11-r0.core2_64.rpm root@intel-aero.local:/home/root/

5) log into Intel Aero Drone using SSH

ssh root@intel-aero.local

6) updated the BIOS using the RPM

root@intel-aero:~# rpm -ivh capsule-01.00.11-r0.core2_64.rpm

Preparing... # [100%]

1:capsule # [100%]

7) rebooted my Intel Aero Drone

root@intel-aero:~# reboot

checked the bios version file after reboot:

root@intel-aero:~# cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version

Aero-01.00.11_Prod

NOTE: HDMI cable connected to Intel Aero Drone and HDMI monitor, but still NO SIGNAL

1. downloaded ==> capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm to my ~/Downloads folder

2. booted my Intel Aero Drone

3) connected to the Intel Aero Drone wifi access point

4) copied RPM to drone

scp ~/Downloads/capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm root@intel-aero.local:/home/root/

5) log into Intel Aero Drone using SSH

ssh root@intel-aero.local

6) updated the BIOS using the RPM

root@intel-aero:~# rpm -ivh capsule-01.00.12-r0.core2_64.rpm

Preparing... # [100%]

1:capsule # [100%]

7) rebooted my Intel Aero Drone

root@intel-aero:~# reboot

checked the bios version file after reboot:

root@intel-aero:~# cat /sys/devices/virtual/dmi/id/bios_version

Aero-01.00.11_Prod

NOTE: HDMI cable connected to Intel Aero Drone and HDMI monitor, but still NO SIGNAL

I don't think I will be able to get into the BIOS without video?

idata
Community Manager

Hi jdoob,

Thanks a lot for sharing this information with us. Please let us analyze it to see if we can determine what might be happening. If we are able to find anything useful, we'll make sure to share it with you in this thread.

Pedro M.
JJerr2
Novice

update: several issues remain that prevent updating the OS/firmware/FPGA on my Intel Aero Drone.

cable setup follows...

1) have a USB 3.0 powered hub, have it powered up.

2) have the USB 3.0 OTG cable and connected it to the Intel Aero Drone USB port and other end to USB hub main port.

3) have the HDMI micro to standard HDMI cable and connected to the Intel Aero Drone and a HDMI monitor.

4) have the USB keyboard attached to the USB hub.

*see attached images for cable connections.

issues:

1) when booting and running the Intel Aero Drone - cannot get a signal on the HDMI monitor (have tried several different HDMI monitors/devices).

since I cannot see the console on the monitor, unable to get into the BIOS.

can anyone help?

1) Is there any support for sending the Intel Aero Drone back to Intel to get it fixed/updated? (I received this Intel Aero Drone from a prior developer

and have not been able to get the OS/firmware/FPGA updated)

JJerr2
Novice

now attempting to use the SD card to do Intel Aero OS/firmware/FPGA update.

On a Mac ...

1) used Etcher to burn the "intel-aero-image-1.5.1.iso" image to the SD card.

2) booted the Intel Aero and connecting to the Wifi access point.

3) ssh into Intel Aero using terminal with command: "ssh root@intel-aero.local"

using a slight variation of the instructions here => https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-Setup 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

Flash Intel Aero Linux distribution

**changed "sda1" to "mmcblk1p1" to use the SD card.

root@intel-aero:~/sdcard# mkdir -p /tmp/{iso,newroot}

root@intel-aero:~/sdcard# mount -o ro /dev/mmcblk1p1 /tmp/iso

root@intel-aero:~/sdcard# mount -o loop,ro /tmp/iso/rootfs.img /tmp/newroot

root@intel-aero:~/sdcard# /tmp/newroot/usr/sbin/aero-reboot-update.py

No USB device found. Please connect a USB drive with update image.

Refusing to reboot.

oh no! - looks the the aero-reboot-update.py wants to use the USB drive.

what now Batman?

surely there lives instruction somewhere on how to boot the Intel Aero drone board from SD card?

JJerr2
Novice

update: searching around in the forum, found a year old (2016) thread that indicates the Intel Aero Drone may not support booting from SD card?

--will keep looking to get clarification on this, since the USB stick can't be found.