Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

running ubuntu 16.04.04, usb keyboard no longer works even on boot

I upgraded the aero board to ubuntu 16.04.04 using usb install. Ubuntu desktop comes up on HDMI, but keyboard and other USB devices no longer accessible over OTG USB.

- connect USB hub to OTG USB port, light on USB hub lights up, but keyboard connected to hub no working, neither does mouse

- connect USB keyboard directrly to OTG USB, does not work

I can access ubuntu over the Wifi AP, but no access to internet to do updates.

1. How do I turn on USB when running Ubuntu (USB keyboard was running before ubuntu install)?

Tried rebooting system,but could not go into BIOS as keyboard does not work.

2. Could I access system (BIOS, OS) using serial console with UART on power connector on Aero board?

3. Is there another way to fix this?

Thank you,

Waiming

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero drone.

Can you tell me which BIOS version did the board have prior to installing Ubuntu?

Were there any changes made to BIOS?

The wifi issues after installing Ubuntu are due to using wifi during installation.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

Do you still need help with this issue?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes,

I can access the Aero board via ssh into ubuntu using Aero's AP.

Because the USB is disabled, non of the sensors (GPS, accelerometer, ...) worked, even

when the radio controller is connected to the drone.

I need to find a way to enable the USB on the Aero board.

ideally I'd reload the Yocto OS onto the board.

Please help.

Thank you.

Waiming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

I asked you a few questions in order to understand better what exactly is the issue and be able to help you.

Can you tell me which BIOS version did the board have prior to installing Ubuntu?

Were there any changes made to BIOS?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I do not have direct access to the BIOS, as they USB keyboard no longer works.

I followed the steps here to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04:

1. https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup 02 Initial Setup · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

this upgrades to the latest Yocto and BIOS and the BIOS is supposed to be

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

I remembered I verified that.

2. I then followed the steps to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki Home · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub

Thanks,

Waiming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

Try doing a bios update:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# bios https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# bios

You can also update to bios 1.00.16 by copying the rpm bios file with SCP or other method via WiFi.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I did the update as follows:

rpm2cpio aero-bios-01.00.16-r1.corei7_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

sudo mv BIOSUPDATE.fv /boot

sudo aero-bios-update

sudo reboot

Upon reboot, it looks like its' updating something. However, USB keyboard still not working. I ssh into system and did a lsusb, it showed

2 USB controllers.

lsusb -v showed more info, including 3d camera, etc.

However, I do not have internet access to update drivers under ubuntu, so the devices are not usable, including radio remote.

Regarding USB keyboard, could the cable be a problem?

- I used the USB Micro-B cable that worked initially, as keyboard and USB drive to upgrade to ubuntu worked.

- I tried different USB Micro-B 3.0 (wide) cables from Amazon, none now work.

- I've ordered the Intel $16 USB Micro-B 3.0 cable, that would take some time go get here, let's see if that works

Any advice on USB cable or other means to keyboard working?

Thanks,

Waiming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello studentofchange,

It's possible that the cable might be the issue could you please try a power usb hub too?

Also double check that you did not change any bios settings. Specifically the xhci support.

Could you confirm that the bios update did update to 1.00.16 with the aero get version command?

Thank you very much in advance,

Casandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I received the Intel USB cable, tried it, but it does not allow USB keyboard to connect.

I still can get into Ubuntu via the Intel wifi-AP.

How do I check BIOS version from Ubuntu, as I could not interrupt the boot process to get into BIOS?

How do I check BIOS setting on xhci from Ubuntu?

Is there a way to flash the board with the origin or latest BIOS image without keyboard?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello studentofchange,

We saw a similar problem when installing Ubuntu but the keyboard/mouse worked prior to Ubuntu booting up for us. Can you confirm if you are able to get into the Bios by pressing "Esc" right after applying power?

We previously tried to update the bios via command line (ssh). Can you try to flash the bios again and confirm that the bios is updated with aero_get_version.py ?

You can follow the steps mentioned here:

https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# bios https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation# bios

second set of instructions (after the "OR to flash the latest BIOS release").

Let me know if this works.

Best regards,

Casandra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Studentofchange,

Was the solution provided in my previous post helpful?

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

Best regards,

Casandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I've tried powering the system, with battery disconnected initially,

and holding onto the ESC key.

But the AERO prompt did not come up and after a while, the Ubuntu logo comes up.

No BIOS access.

Is there a way to reflash the board w/o keyboard?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Cassandra,

I have also seen the same problem as studentofchange. I installed the latest yocto-release on the aero, and then proceeded to update the BIOS and fpga. I have confirmed that the proper bios version was installed using aero-get-version.py. Then I installed Ubuntu following the posted instructions on the wiki. My keyboard and mouse work fine during boot, as I can use "esc" to go into the boot menu and navigate around. However, when I allow the system to boot into Ubuntu, once the desktop itself comes up the mouse and keyboard are no longer recognized. I can see that the numlock LED on the keyboard is lit when I am in the boot menu, and then it turns off somewhere inbetween boot and the desktop loading.

What is really weird is that earlier this summer - beginning of June - I followed this same process with another aero and everything installed fine. I can confirm that it has the latest version of the Bios using the get-version script. I believe the only difference between the two is that on the aero that I set up in the second week of June - the one that works - I did not set it to automatically log in, while on the one that i am trying to set up now - and failing with - I have been setting it to auto-log in. Could this be the issue?

p.s. I tried the recommended action of updating the bios, confirming it was installed, then trying ubuntu but it did not help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

Did you try to update the BIOS via SSH?

Can you provide the output of get_aero_version.py?

Hi m1baldwin,

Could you try re-installing Ubuntu with the default settings and do not install updates or use wifi during the install?

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I'll give this try again.

Coming from a different perspective:

I've ordered another processor board for the Aero.

When that comes, could I just swap out the board and everything would work again?

Is it hard to change the board?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I upgraded the BIOS to 1.00.16 by putting the BIOS update file in /boot/efi.

(The instruction said to put the file in /boot, which did not work).

Running aero-get-version.py, I get the following, I get the latest BIOS version (see below).

However, USB keyboard is still disabled and I could not hit ESC to go into BIOS when I reboot the board.

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.16

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = 0xc2

AeroFC firmware version = 1.6.5

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello studentofchange,

You mentioned you ordered another Intel Aero Compute Board.

You should be able to replace the Aero Compute Board with the new one ordered. I would recommend updating all the components (OS, FPGA, BIOS) on your desk prior to installing. Make sure to flash the FPGA with the correct JAM file aero-rtf.jam, install Yocto (software v1.6.2: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27833/Intel-Aero-Platform-for-UAVs-Installation-Files?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27833/Intel-Aero-Platform-for-UAVs-Installation-Files?v=t)

Let me know if this works.

Best regards,

Casandra

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry, I have not had a chance to try this out yet but I will give it a shot today or tomorrow and let you know what the result is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi studentofchange,

Did you try to follow the instructions I gave you in my previous message?

Regards,

Alexandra
0 Kudos