cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IYada
Beginner

usb 3.0 hub for Intel Aero

Hi,

I had trouble connecting realsense D415 to Aero compute board when I saw this announcement ( ) and a question that says the cable being very long. What is the total length and approximate weight. I have anyway ordered one cable but I want some other sensors also to be powered using the board. They don't need usb3.0 but I would prefer that. The announcement says that you need a separately powered usb hub for that. Can you please recommend one that is small enough to be carried by a uav, I don't want to buy stuff spend time in making them work and then ask questions here because they are not compatible? Looks like Intel puts many important information in support community announcements but not on website.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Indrajeet,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Your request has been received and is currently being investigated.

We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Gheorghe

Intel Customer Support

idata
Community Manager

Hello Indrajeet,

We can't make a recommendation for a hub because it depends on the project specification. We advise You to do a research on 3.0 hubs out on the market.

The USB OTG in the announcement will allow the use of 3.0 devices, without it the USB devices would not be recognized as 3.0 device. The OTG adapter will ensure that the hub is recognized as a 3.0 device.

Best regards,

Gheorghe

Intel Customer Support

IYada
Beginner

Hi Gheorghe,

I got the cable delivered and could connect the usb 3.0 hub and got D415 working. I had two sub 3.0 hubs (one powered through external supply the other not) both works fine if I connect everything and then start the board. Thanks for your help. May be I should have asked a new question but I noticed that the board gets quite hot if I leave camera connected and frequency of "image_raw compressed" topic keeps decreasing. Is it a known behavior? I know your website at one place mention that if you do heavy computation you may need an external fan. I was not expecting just running realsense camera ros package would fall in that category.

On a separate note can I connect the board with an external ssd and it would be faster and anything small enough to put on a quad you have in your mind?

Thanks again for the help.

Indrajeet

idata
Community Manager

Hello Indrajeet,

The RealSense camera is using heavy computation. Using a fan on top of the heat sink may help. You can connect an M.2 SSD, but we can't recommend a specific SSD. We suggest checking the following GitHub issue https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/issues/293 as they talk about using an M.2 on Intel® Aero Compute Board.

If you require additional information, please, let me know.

Best regards,

Gheorghe

Intel Customer Support

IYada
Beginner

Hi Gheorge,

Thanks for your help. I will let you know if I need anything, for now things work all right.

Indrajeet