cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

wifi communication with Intel aero board

Hi,

I am encountering a weird problem with wifi connection in Aero board. I installed ubuntu 16.04 on the board but was not able to get the data from imu. In order to solve that I installed Intel Aero repository as per the instructions here (https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/90-(References)-OS-user-Installation 90 (References) OS user Installation · intel-aero/meta-intel-aero Wiki · GitHub ). Now I see two kernels

4.13.0-45-generic

4.4.76-aero-1.2

If I login using aero-1.2, imu/realsense camera works fine but I have problem connecting to wifi every now and then. I tried Ralink RT5372 USB wireless adapter and it shows up when I run "lsusb" but I cant get it work. It doesn't show any network. Is there any driver that I need to install to make it work?

If I login to 45-generic, wifi is not a problem and I don't have to install any driver to get RT5372 work but I cant take the data from imu as spidev doesn't work.

Do you have any information on how to make RT5372 wireless adapter work?

Indrajeet

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel Aero Compute Board.

We are currently looking into your issue and will reach you back as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Eliza
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Thank you for your patience.

Could you please let me know if you manage to connect to your WIFI hotspot by using the below command in terminal:

nmcli dev wifi connect password

Thank you in advance,

Eliza
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes I can connect to wifi hotspot. Problem is that the connection is very slow (and gets disconnected sometimes) when I login using aero kernel but as soon as I login using generic kernel its fine. And I cant make Ralink 5732 usb wifi adapter work on aero kernel.

Indrajeet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Thank you for your response.

Could you please tell me what is the output of aero-get-version.py?

Also, what exactly is the error received from your wireless adapter?

When you have the adapter connected, could you please let me know the output of lsusb?

Thank you in advance,

Eliza
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

The output of aero-get-version.py is:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

OS_VERSION = Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS"

AIRMAP_VERSION = unknown

FPGA_VERSION = 0xa1

AeroFC firmware version = unknown

I do not get any error when I connect the usb wireless adapter and the output of lsusb is:

Bus 002 Device 008: ID 8086:0ad3 Intel Corp.

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5372 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5372 Wireless Adapter

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The adapter is recognized but I cant connect to any network using it.

Indrajeet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Thank you for the information.

Please note that the USB WIFI adapter may not work with the Intel Aero kernel, or the driver might not be installed. Also, you might want to check with another WIFI adapter if available.

I see that your current BIOS version is Aero-01.00.13, so please update it to Aero-01.00.16

Instructions on how to do it can be found on: https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup%23flashing-the-bios https://github.com/intel-aero/meta-intel-aero/wiki/02-Initial-setup# flashing-the-bios

Please let me know if you see any improvement with the WIFI connection after the BIOS update.

Thank you in advance,

Eliza
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Eliza,

I tried to update the bios. I see process complete successfully but when run aero-get-version.py again I see the first line as:

BIOS_VERSION = Aero-01.00.13

The link you sent me says that that it should be like this, although I was expecting it to be Aero-01.00.16. However, it did not change anything, the connection is still bad and I cant make the wifi card working. Is there a possibility that I can install the driver in Aero kernel or set of instructions to make spidev work with generic kernel.

Indrajeet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Unfortunately the Kernel 4.4.76-aero-1.2 is required to work with Aero SW.

Does the Intel Aero build in Wi-Fi not work at all or does it drop the connection?

I would suggest changing the RTFs antenas as shown in this guide: https://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Aero-Drone-Extending-Wifi-Range/ https://www.instructables.com/id/Intel-Aero-Drone-Extending-Wifi-Range/

If the wifi does not work at all, could you please try re-installing Ubuntu and do not select to download driver/3rd party software during the install. Try not to use Wi-Fi during the install.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Thank you,

Casandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Was the information provided previously useful?

Do you require any further information?

Thank you very much in advance,

Casandra
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Casandra,

Unfortunately its still the same. I tried few things like rearranging stuff in the lab and position of the router as the place is very cluttered. So far it did not give any result. I have also ordered 2 other wifi adapters because the one I was using did not support 5GHz frequencies. It will be very helpful if I could make spidev work on generic ubuntu kernel. Let me get back to you after seeing the performance of other wireless adapters. Thanks for your help though, I appreciate it.

Indrajeet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello indsy,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Do not hesitate to contact us back if you encounter issues with the other adapters.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Casandra
0 Kudos