Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

A question about AMT redirection

postaquestion
Beginner
Hi!
Let me to ask you some questions about a function of Intel AMT IDE redirection. I have read white paper about redirection library from IAMT SDK documentation, but I can't find answers on such questions there:
a.. Could I redirect IDE hard disk drive?
b.. Are there any features in booting from remote IDE drive, or it is the same as from local?
c.. Should the remote computer that operates Management Console and performs IDE redirection to AMT-capable computer be also AMT-capable?
d.. Could I perform IDE redirection via Management Console from any computer, connected to LAN, to any AMT-capable computer? And what requirements should this computers satisfy?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

Hello, I will attempt to answer your questions - please let us know if this helps or not:

a: You can redirect to a floppy drive, to a CD drive, or to an image file. (Currently, not to a USB drive or to another hard disk) Note that IDER does not support DVD format.

b: I'm not sure what is meant by remote vs local. Redirection enables a Management Console to attach one of it's floppy orCD drives to a managed client (your AMT system) over the network. Once the session is established, the AMT system can use the IDE device as if it were directly attached to one of its own IDE channels.

c: The Management Console (performing IDE-redirection) is typically not AMT capable; however an AMT capable machine certainly could operate as a management console.

d: Yes. If the AMT system is setup in Small Business mode you can access the AMT client by going to the following url: http:// of AMT system>:16992. TLS (Enterprise mode)uses port 16993. System Requirements depend on how you will be running AMT (Enterprise or Small Business Modes.) You may want to look through the "User Guide.pdf" file in the SDK docs folder. Generally, you can try this out from a Windows XP or Vista Management console running the AMT Commander (Intel AMT Developer Toolkit). The .Net Framework is required. The management console does not have to be a "beefy" system. If your environment is going to support the Enterprise mode (TLS/Certificates etc) you need a provisioning server (Windows Server 2003). You can take a look at the Intel Setup and Configuration Server Docs to see what system requirements would be for that.

0 Kudos
__deimos__
Beginner
Hi!
Great thanks for your answers! They were very helpful.
But may I ask some another questions?
1. Is there any emulator of AMT device?
2. As I understand I can see a redirected IDE device in a list of available boot devices in Advanced BIOS Features menu after implementation of redirection. Could I choose this devise as first boot devise remotely via network?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
john_prothro
Beginner
There is/was an emulator... it is old and out of date with current implementation though and therefore would probably not be usefull to you. If I am wrong about this being out of date, someone will correct me, so... The short answer to your second question is no... there is no redirection api call to choose the boot order... you can choose the boot device via the api, as well as some other things, but not the boot order.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
John is correct - there was an Emulator but is is very old and is applicable to prior generations of Intel AMT. It would not be of any use to you with today's versions of Intel AMT.
0 Kudos
__deimos__
Beginner
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Im interesting what mechanism of redirection is implemented in AMT device? What part of AMT enables redirection process and executes commands of Management Console? Is it AMT firmware or BIOS or maybe some other thing?
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

AMT firmwaredoes theredirection and responds to the commands from management consoles. When you are provisioning the AMT system, you have to enable the redirection. Let us know if you have further questions.

0 Kudos
__deimos__
Beginner
Hi!
Thank you for reply!
It the moment I have no questions. But in a few days Ill receive hardware for my work and Ill start work with AMT. So some questions may arise.
0 Kudos