Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

AMT function have been disappear

hao_liu
Beginner

Hello,

We having product boards for A company, but one thing is puzzled to me . If intel have a utility for reset the ME function back to normal. Detail information please see my *.ppt . Link:http://software.intel.com/file/m/7264

Waiting for you great support to me ! Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Have you tried doing a CMOS reset? Unplug the power cord & LAN cable, open the box and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, wait 15 seconds, replace the CMOS battery, close the box and plug cords back in, then try again.

0 Kudos
hao_liu
Beginner
Hi Lance,

Thanks .We have try it follow as you, we only can reset ME password. Do you hear some tools can reset ME fireware?
Sometimes, vendor will send back many boards to us, which is only ME fireware have been disable. We need to enable ME fireware by hand. If we have a software, which can check ME fireware have been disable or enable ?
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel
Quoting - hao_liu
Hi Lance,

Thanks .We have try it follow as you, we only can reset ME password. Do you hear some tools can reset ME fireware?
Sometimes, vendor will send back many boards to us, which is only ME fireware have been disable. We need to enable ME fireware by hand. If we have a software, which can check ME fireware have been disable or enable ?

Hi,

The CMOS reset actually resets all the ME settings back to the factory mode (the mode in which the system was actually shipped to you) and not just the password.

I am not aware of any tool for checking whether the ME firmware is enabled on the board. Why don't you check with your vendor?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi,

I was wondering if you could provide some clarification to your problem? In looking at the ppt you sent us in your original question, there is a menu that comes up when the system is booting that allows you to pick options 1 through 4. Does this menu come up every time? If you chose 3 or 4, it makes sense that the Intel ME Features Control option would dissapear - because it was just disabled so you wouldn't be able to select it. So if 3 or 4 are chosen, does this mean that the menu doesn't come up again so that you could choose option number 1 instead?

Since you seem to have a custom bios, maybe there is an option that if you booted to bios, you could enable that menu to appear again? Or as Lance and Sree suggested, you could also try a CMOS clear (you would unplug the system, remove the battery for 15 seconds, put the battery back in and then reboot - I would think the menu should come up again after doing this.)

Have you also described this problem to whatever company supplys these systems? They should be able to guiede you to their documentation or at least let you know how to get the menu back so that the ME is not disabled.

Let us know what you find out,

Gael

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hello Hao,

From the looks of the PPT that you sent, it appears as though the menu options are setting the strap bits in the descriptor to enable or disable the ME. If this is the case, then the access to the descriptor from the host CPU has been disabled. If the strap bits have been set, then you will need to contact the maker of your board to find our how to unlock the descriptor, and then you will need to contact your local Intel FAE regarding tools that can re-enable the ME on the system. Clearing the CMOS will not change the values of the strap bits in the descriptor to re-enable the ME.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - rogerb

Hello Hao,

From the looks of the PPT that you sent, it appears as though the menu options are setting the strap bits in the descriptor to enable or disable the ME. If this is the case, then the access to the descriptor from the host CPU has been disabled. If the strap bits have been set, then you will need to contact the maker of your board to find our how to unlock the descriptor, and then you will need to contact your local Intel FAE regarding tools that can re-enable the ME on the system. Clearing the CMOS will not change the values of the strap bits in the descriptor to re-enable the ME.

Regards,

Roger

Roger - thanks for the knowledge! This seems like a rather harsh design for a board. I'm curious as to why they would make it so the user could so easily and permanently disable the ME....

0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Roger - thanks for the knowledge! This seems like a rather harsh design for a board. I'm curious as to why they would make it so the user could so easily and permanently disable the ME....

Hi Gael,

The enable/disable functionality of the chipset is meant for the factory only. The customer buys a system that is vPro capable, or they buy a system that isn't vPro capable. The permanent enable/disable of the capability is in the factory only, not at the customer's site. This allows an OEM to use the same motherboard and configure it on the factory floor to be a vPro or non-vPro system based on the customer's order. The capability of the system to run AMT or not is supposed to be set at the factory only. I hope that this clarifies the situation a little bit.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos