Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

AMT machine remote command line access

alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi!
We have oneIntel AMTcapable computer (HP dc7700) which one on some unknown reason locks up after some time, no regularity etc., but access to AMT remain unaffected.I wonder is there a option using Intel AMT technology to reboot this locked up computer using command line in Windows XP Pro? If it is I could set a monitor to run a reboot command using this cli.
More thanks,
Alar from Tartu Uni, ESTONIA.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

You can use the WebUI (http://ipaddress:16992) to log on to your AMT system from a remote system and can reboot the system. here ipaddress is the IP Address of your AMT client system.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi! And thanks!
I'm aware of this. I didn't pointed this out,butI need to reboot this computer using another so. called watchdog-computer. Last time this lockup happen 2 AM.
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

The Remotecontrol sample in the SDK can be used for rebooting your AMT client from the Management system. Are you planning to call this command from a program?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi and thanks again!
I think good to have in mind both options, I mean running from dos prompt and also from program. First one is more ... flexible, I think. And ... even better when there is no need to install much of stuff for this little task. =) I saw a sample with terminal, but there was for command line just logon credentials and, well, within SDK.
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi again!
I try RemoteControl from SDK (seemsgood enough for my current task),but get error:
"Calling function GetSystemPowerstate...The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. Exception caught".
Probably I missed something, but what? Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Are you able to log into your client from the remote system using webUI? For this, open an Internet Explorer window and type http://ipaddress:16992. Please make sure that you have turned off the firewall.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner
Hi and thanks!
Yes, via Web UI is access OK. And I setup Altiris OOB also(and HPCMS)and access with TDK is OK! (Thanks to Ylian Saint-Hilaire and others in this community!)
But via command-line I get this error.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Which Operating system are you using here?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner
Hi and thanks!
Windows XP SP2. WinRM is set up with config as was described in this forum before.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello Alar,

We will need to get more detailed information about your issue. First, have you seen this blog? We need to make sure WINRM is configured correctly. Could you include the following:

1. Results from running >winrm get winrm/config/client (see the blog included here)
  2. What is your operating environment? Enterprise or SMB?
  3. Static IP or DHCP?
  4. What is the exact error that you are getting (can you include a screen shot?)
  5. What is the exact command that you are issueing?

(Sorry if you already answered some of these questions - I just want to get enough information together in one place so that we can troubleshoot this a little faster.)

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi and thanks!
Probably, I think, something I'd or have here wrong as I'm not good at this.
(1) Yes, I configured this exactly by this blog You mentioned. I hope I'd it correctly.
Client
NetworkDelayms = 5000
URLPrefix = wsman
AllowUnencrypted = true
Auth
Basic = false
Digest = true
Kerberos = true
Negotiate = true
Certificate = true
DefaultPorts
HTTP = 80
HTTPS = 443
TrustedHosts = *.mtk.ut.ee,10.0.*
(2) Enterprise. This was suggestedfor Altiris OOB.
(3) Error is as "Calling function GetSystemPowerstate...The WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. Exception caught".
(4)Command is "RemoteControl -p -host 10.0.0.81 -user Alar -pass ".
Intel AMT v. 2.1.2 and 2.1.3.
I have full access via Web UI and also with TDK.
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

One of your earlier responses indicates you are running Windows XP? Could you verify which OS is running on your AMT Client and which OS is running on your remote console? (you are running the sample from your remote system, correct?)

OS: (From the readme file) But this is contradictory to what the system requirements page says.
===
Since WinRM can be found only on Microsoft Windows Vista OS, these samples can run
only on this OS. (I am checking on this statement!)

I'm also wondering if you need to modify your Trusted Hosts - The blog instructions have "localhost" added in addition. You might also want to enter the actual IP address instead of using the asterisk. From Ajith's Blog:

• TrustedHosts = *.mydomain.com,myAmt1,192.168.0.101,localhost

A couple more things to verify:

WinRM: (Again from the readme file)
======
To make these samples work make sure that WinRM has been activated and that a WinRm
listener is working.
Follow the next steps to make sure that WinRM works:

1. Type the following line in the CMD:
winrm quickconfig (configures the listener that accepts connections from every network interface)

To see the configuration type:
winrm get winrm/config (you have done this - make sure TrustedHosts is set correctly)

To see the list of Listener:
winrm enumerate winrm/config/Listener

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Again,

I have some more information. The SDK Documentation says that Winrm is only available for Windows Vista because it was written before Microsoft included it for the other OSs. So you should be OK OS-wise. I have put together another blog with some more reference links that hopefully you should find helpful.

I think you are very close to getting the sample to work - you shouldn't have to do much more than what you have already done. One thing we need to find out is that you mentioned you are running Intel AMT in Enterprise mode.Did you provision with or without TLS? It is possible that the Remote Control Sample is hard coded to only to use HTTP/Digest Authentication(SMB or Enterprise non-TLS.) If this is the case you would have to modify the sample code in order to have success.

You might want to simply try provisioning your system in Small-Medium-Business mode and see if you can get it to work.

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi and thanks!
(1) Yes, I am aware of this Vista requirement, but I thought - maybe wrongfully - that WinRM for XP meet the same requirements.
(2) I have Enterprise non-TLS.
(3) Yes, I'm running this program from mine XP Pro computer and on remote (destination) I try to connect with machine OS not running at all on it, so called, if I'm correct, out of band (OOB) situation. This is my goal as I described in first post.
(4) I'd add localhost to trusted, but situation same. Also, full IP does not change anything.
I rather prefer do not change provisioning as I'm using Altiris OOB and HPCMS and this might interfere here.
Something I misunderstood?
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Well... After all these questions and answers, I seem to have overlooked one simple thing. WS-MAN is not supported on AMT 2.x. In fact,WS-MAN is not supported until AMT 3.0 - your HP dc7700p is an AMT 2.x flavor. Note that the current SDK supports both AMT 2.x and 3.x firmware. One thing I can say is that in about a month we will be putting a WSMAN Translator onto the Manageability Community Site that folks having AMT 2.x firmware/Hardware will be able to use for running the WS-MAN samples.

Sorry about that.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Gael Gael Gael... This is why people should use the Intel AMT DTK! As part of the Intel AMT DTK source code, I have a small sample project called "IntelAmtCmd". It's a windows console prompt tool that can be used to power on an off Intel AMT computers. Also, it works with all version of Intel AMT. You can also change it to do just about anything, great for people getting started on there own projects.

Just to gloat, since the release of Intel AMT DTK v0.51, it has it's own built-in WSMAN stack so, it does WSMAN just fine without WinRM (which was a real pain).

If you don't want to compile the IntelAmtCmd tool, let me know, I may just include it as part of the next version of the DTK binary.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Ylian to the rescue! :-) Thanks - this is good to know!
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Yilian, So are you saying people can use WinRM to send WS-MAN commands to AMT 2.0,2.5, and 3.0 using the DTK?

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi. SOAP is supported on all versions of Intel AMT andWSMAN is supported starting with AMT 3.0. Microsoft WinRM is a COM component that help with WSMAN so, you can only use it with AMT 3.0 and higher.

If you read my blog you will know that I am very annoyed with WinRM since it's just too complicated for most people and in the latest DTK I got rid of it. I now can do WSMAN using my own C# code.

If you use the Intel AMT DTK stack (IntelAmtStack.dll). I hide SOAP/WSMAN completely and so, you don't have to worry about it. In the future, we will have other solutions for this.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi and thanks!
Gael, I hope You'll solve this also for AMT 2.x as there is many computers out there with this version of AMT.
And thanks, Ylian. This IntelAmtCmd is more promising, but when I run it stay as "Connected." and ... that's it.
On target machine I have AMT 2.2.1 and no problem accessing it with AMT Commander or via Web UI.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos