Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

AMT machine remote command line access

alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi!
We have oneIntel AMTcapable computer (HP dc7700) which one on some unknown reason locks up after some time, no regularity etc., but access to AMT remain unaffected.I wonder is there a option using Intel AMT technology to reboot this locked up computer using command line in Windows XP Pro? If it is I could set a monitor to run a reboot command using this cli.
More thanks,
Alar from Tartu Uni, ESTONIA.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

If you can, try to load the course code to IntelAmtCmd into Visual Studio and step thru it. Are you saying the it's making a call for the reset but it's not working? I would check the command line arguments. In any case, I will try it myself to see if it works.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi! And thanks.
I'll try this tomorrw, here is already 20 PM and ... must go home! =)
I tried power on.
intelamtcmd -h:jt_18.infutik_nt.mtk.ut.ee -u:Alar -p: -c:poweron
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Sorry, forgot.
Connecting to: jt_18.infutik_nt.mtk.ut.ee / Alar
Connected.

Alar.

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi again!
Ylian, any luck with this? Anyone else?
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Arg, I have not have time to look into this yet, I am overflowing with work. Are you using Visual Studio with the source code to run IntelAmtCmd? Also, when you perform remote control operations with Intel AMT Commander, go in the custom operations dialog box and you will see at the bottom of the form the values that will be used to execute the operation. I suggest trying with Commander and then using these same values and just placing them into the souce code of IntelAmtCmd.exe...

If you at not looking at the source, this will be of no help, I will have to take a look at it. It's difficult right now, I am so excited about the new things I am working on, I am piling up a long of work in my inbox.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner
Hi and thanks!
I'd take a closer look and, (1) yes, values was different for remote commands, but also (most important), (2) commands section was commented out at all, I didn't noticed this before. =)
It does work now, many thanks, just wonderful. Now I have a tool for OOB remote operations from command line in Windows Thank You!
Alar.
0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Glad to hear that you got it working Alar. Thanks to Ylian for the support. You know that this is a forum and we would really appreciate if the developers like you can contribute your learnings here that would help out others. Please feel free to chime in on any questions on this forum to share your learnings.

Once again, if you have other questions, please post them here and we will try to get them answered. Thanks for using the manageability forum.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Gael... you got your revenge and proved me to be really blond. Indeed, in the latest version of the Intel AMT DTK, my small sample IntelAmtCmd has the remoting code simply commented out... hum... That was really silly of me. I will fix it in the next release.

For people looking at that sample, once you get the Intel AMT System class connected, you can do a lot of cool things like access hardware inventory using "Computer.Assets.GetBios()", you can play with all of the features of AMT without worry of WSMAN, SOAP and anything else. Just keep in mind that some features don't exist on some version of Intel AMT. So for example, "Computer.Wireless" will be equal to NULL on all AMT versions except AMT 2.5 that supports wireless.

Also, you can connect the same AmtSystem object to LMS (local connection). Just do that same thing as connecting to a remote computer, but instead connect to localhost. The stack will detect that it's talking to LMS automaticaly and you can do all of the things Outpost does with LMS.

Thanks for figuring it out.
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi again!
One thing I noticed. May be this is by design, but ... this could happen. When I send "poweron" command while computer is starting or started then on operating system level machine does hang on.
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Alar,

Thanks for sharing your insight. I want to understand this a little more. When you issue a power on command while the OS is starting to come up or has started to come up, you are observing that the OS is hung and does not continue to boot. For how long is the OS in hung state or it doesn't recover at all?

Also another good habit is to first to get the current power state and then issue the subsequent commands accordingly. If the system is already powered on, there is no need to power it on again. This could avoid problems like the one you mentioned. Although its very strange that the OS is getting hung. Keep us posted.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
alar_pandis
Beginner

Hi and thanks and sorry for delay!
I totally agreed about habits You describe. In my case this happen by accident, just did send a command twice. But, anyway, is this kind of situations avoidable not relying on peoples habits?, I mean, mistakes happen.
I noticed that machine hung and nothing helps but button or reset-command via AMT. Hard to say for me something 99% sure what was exact cause of this kind of problem -- faulty hardware or something else.
I haven't tried this on another AMT-capable machine, I'm not very happy when machine hang on. =)
More thanks, Alar.

0 Kudos