Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Asset inventory using the AMT SDK.

judekm
Beginner

Hi,

I am interested in using the AMT SDK for developing a module which can

1. do an asset inventory of intel vpro systems.

2. do an asset inventory of non intel based system

3. do an asset inventory of intel based but not vpro systems.

What I would like to know whether this is possible? Also my target language is Java, but I have not been able to get the link of the Sample code of the RDK. Any pointers on the same will be very helpful.

Jude

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

AMT is only available on Intel vPro systems, so you can only perform option 1. Please refer to the Start Here guide for more information on AMT.

The RDK is available here, but is no longer being updated or supported. You may also want to take a look at the open source site for AMT: http://www.openamt.org/

0 Kudos
indusgeek
Beginner

Hi,

Though we understand that we can get asset info from non vPro machines when the systems are powered off/inoperable, but the question here is that can you help direct Jude, how can a software collect asset inventory machine when the systems powered on for non vPro machines, as well as for vpro systems get information from the AMT flash memory.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
indusgeek
Beginner
Is there any sample source on the asset inventory part of Vpro, this could help in deciding the effort and time required.
Cheers!
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
To answer your first question, if you want to get an inventory from a powered onnon-vPro system, assuming it's a Windows based machine I would recommend researching WMI.
If you want to use the flash memory in vPro (known as the third party data store), you'll be responsible for reading and writing the data into the flash memory. In the SDK, look in the Docs folder at the storage design guide for more information on this. For source code examples, you can look in either the WindowsIntel_AMTSamplesSoapStorage or WindowsIntel_AMTSamplesWS-ManagementStorage folders.
For sample source on hardware inventory in vPro (specifically hardware inventory), look atthe code in WindowsIntel_AMTSamplesWS-ManagementAssetDisplay or WindowsIntel_AMTSamplesSoapAssetDisplay in the 5.0 SDK.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Please take a look at the Use Case links that are on the Manageability Developers Community Webpage: Here is the overall link that has a high level description of the use cases. Click on Use Case 3 - Hardware inventory and you should be able to get a good idea of what APIs are used and which documents to go to in order to learn more details.

0 Kudos
heymantmalik
Beginner

Hi,
I am also trying to do the Asset Inventory check using Java and Intel AMT 5.1 and more or less able to do so just that stuck with getAssetData() method for HardwareAssetInterface.wsdl. It returns me a byte array for the particular asset type, but I am not able to find out how to deal with these byte arrays to get the information I want to fetch. Is there a predefined scheme which if I follow to manipulate these byte arrays, would give me the information - the encrypted kind of data that byte array contains after converted to String. The data looks like:
Intel ... and so on. I thought I would go through the Intel RDK source code to check how they have implemented HardwareInterface.java's displayAll() method. But not able to find the RDK source code over internet. When I try to download from RDK page, i get RDK utility packge and not source code. Could someone please help and tell
1) Where could I get the source code for RDK,
or
2) How to manipulate the byte arrays returned by getAssetData() method for particular asset type.
0 Kudos
heymantmalik
Beginner
To add, I tried looking in Samples of SDK, but I am a C++/C# nobody, so couldn't comprehend much.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - heymantmalik

Hi,
I am also trying to do the Asset Inventory check using Java and Intel AMT 5.1 and more or less able to do so just that stuck with getAssetData() method for HardwareAssetInterface.wsdl. It returns me a byte array for the particular asset type, but I am not able to find out how to deal with these byte arrays to get the information I want to fetch. Is there a predefined scheme which if I follow to manipulate these byte arrays, would give me the information - the encrypted kind of data that byte array contains after converted to String. The data looks like:
Intel ... and so on. I thought I would go through the Intel RDK source code to check how they have implemented HardwareInterface.java's displayAll() method. But not able to find the RDK source code over internet. When I try to download from RDK page, i get RDK utility packge and not source code. Could someone please help and tell
1) Where could I get the source code for RDK,
or
2) How to manipulate the byte arrays returned by getAssetData() method for particular asset type.

The contents of those arrays per asset type are documented in some of the SDK documentation, they're in the Network Interface Guide in section 7.4.2 (Service Data Types) starting on page 174. That should give you all of the information you need to interpret the arrays.
0 Kudos