Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Getting WSMan Samples working

wgibbo
Beginner
Hi,
Was wondering if anybody has got the WS-MAN C# examples working on XP?

I've downloaded the WinRM for XP from the microsoft site, and this seems to work :)
Also the WM-MAN C# sample 'AssertDisplay' now loads and compiles in VS2005.

I'm trying to communicate with an AMT device that has been configured with password security only (using AMT Director). I can access the machine remotely using AMT Director/Commander.

When I run the example asset example passing the following command line:

-host 192.168.1.103 -user username -pass password

I get the following message back:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80338042): The WS-Management service does not support the specified feature.
Remove the unsupported feature from the request and retry. at WSManAutomation.IWSManSession.Enumerate(Object resourceUri, String filter, String dialect, Int32 flags) at HW_Assets.Class1.EnumFunc(String RESOURCE, IWSManEnumerator& objResultSetEnum) in D:Intel AMTSDK3WindowsIntel AMT WS-Management SDKSamplesAssetDisplayAssetDisplay.cs:line 726 Exception caught.

Anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks

Gibbo

0 Kudos
15 Replies
wgibbo
Beginner
Sorry forgot to mention that the machine that I'm attempting to communicate with is a DELL Optiplex 755.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Gibbo,

Is it possible you are not using English? In this situation, there are two ways to solve this issue:

1. Change OS to an english version OS, and then install english version WinRM.
  2. Or update the ME firmware to a 3.0.7 version or above.

Please let us know if this helps?

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Gibbo,

Are you able to run other samples ok and having trouble with just the AssetDisplay sample? Also WinRM requires windows XP with SP2, can you confirm you met these requirements? Do you have access to any other AMT 3.0 machines and can you get the sample working on those machines? Can you also let us know AMT firmware version?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wgibbo
Beginner
Hi,
Thanks for responding.. Yes I am using an english version, as I am in England.

I've just checked the version of the firmware on the DELL Optiplex 755, it is 3.0.2. So from the sounds of it, there is no WS-MAN on the machine :(

Also DELL don't seem to have any updates for the MEBX :(

Is there anybody from DELL monitoring this forum ?

I don't have any other machines that have AMT 3 on them, so will have to wait for DELL to issue a MEBX update..

Gibbo

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Gibbo,

You should be fine with your version of the firmware - my response was only if you were using a non-English version. We are currently thinking your problem my be due to your "security" environment. Can you verify the following?

Are you running with TLS? Kerberos?

You are running with XP SP2, correct?

Note that if you change port numbers to non AMT port numbers (like 443, etc) then you aren't talking to AMT - Windows is what would be responding. We will be posting more instructions later today.

0 Kudos
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Gibbo,

Can you make sure your WinRM client is configured correctly?Check out my blog forinstructionsregarding WinRM configuration.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
wgibbo
Beginner
Hi Guys...
Thanks for all the information..
So by the sounds of it my DELL will support WS-MAN.. :D Now all i have to do is to get it working.

I had already downloaded and installed winrm 1.1 for xp and did manage to configure the winrm as follows:

D:>Winrm get winrm/config/client
Client
NetworkDelayms = 5000
URLPrefix = wsman
AllowUnencrypted = true
Auth
Basic = true
Digest = true
Kerberos = true
Negotiate = true
Certificate = true
DefaultPorts
HTTP = 80
HTTPS = 443
TrustedHosts = 192.168.1.102, 192.168.1.103, 192.168.1.124, 192.168.1.152

The Machine that I'm trying to communicate with has been provisioned without tls.

So I'm a little lost at the moment.

Has anybody else tried this with DELL Optiplex 755?

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Gibbo,

Your settings are a little different than what are in Ajith's Blog. Give Ajiths settings a try and let us know how it gows?

Ajith's Blog is here.

0 Kudos
wgibbo
Beginner
Hi,
the only difference is that I have enabled the Basic Authority and the Trusted Hosts.

The reason for this is because the machines don't belong to a domain. So I'm a little stuck at the moment... Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Did you get this issue resolved?

Could you send us the HW asset inventory reported by EOI sample on the system?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
whgibbo
Beginner
Nope.. Still no luck?
Has anybody else had any luck?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Gibbo,

We are looking into the possiblity that this may actually be a bug (specific to your Dell system) - can you send us the information that Sree has asked for? Do you have a different AMT system that you can try it on as well?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Hi there, I should start checking forum posts more often. This WSMAN question is perfect for me.

First off, if your going to try WSMAN, I suggest you install WinRM on Windows XP, setup WinRM correctly (see Readme.txt in DTK or instructions in SDK). Then go into Intel AMT Commander, connect to the computer and in the "Management Engine" tab, look for "Interaction type". It will show "WSMAN + EOI" if Commander was able to use WinRM, otherwise, it will show "EOI Only". Click the small button next to "WSMAN + EOI" to enter the WSMAN browser built into Commander.

Each time you connect using Commander, it will automaticaly try to use WinRM and WSMAN. If it can't it will automaticaly fall back to SOAP calls only. After Commander starts to work, go back to the SDK samples...

Looking at the samples, I think the Asset sample is the only one that does not use WinRM, it parses XML on it's own. All the other samples use WinRM... well, I should double check this, but I am pretty sure looking at the Asset sample, it was built different than the others. So just watch out, Asset sample any work when others don't.

Also, make sure your system's proxy settings don't interfere with WinRM. Commander is set to ignore any proxy setting you set on your system, but WinRM will use these settings.When using TLS, because WinRM does all the HTTP/WSMAN requests, Commander also can't just connect and ignore the certificate if the AMT's certificate is not correct. Instead of displaying a certificate warning, WinRM will simply fail.

Ok, I hope this helps.
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos
hasyed
Beginner

I am encountering a similar issue to what the author of this message thread experienced. I did use Commander as Ylian suggested and saw "EOI(SOAP) + WS-MAN" in the Management Engine tab indicating that WS-MAN can be used.

Below is what I see when I run the StorageAdministration sample.

Exception caught
Could not load file or assembly 'Interop.WSManAutomation, Version=1.0.0.0, Cultu
re=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot f
ind the file specified.

0 Kudos
hasyed
Beginner

Issue solved.

I had copied the exe to a different location and didn't copy the Interop.WSManAutomation.dll that was also in the directory.

0 Kudos