Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

I would like your advise before a Workstation purchase.

virgoheart
Beginner

I purchased a Dell Percision M6700, i7 3840QM, and Upgraded to Intel vPro Technonogy. 16 GB of Memory, and nVidia Quadro K4000M.  The Intel vPro Technology Advanced Management was clearly on the invoice and Packing Slip.  However from the very first day I turned on the system I could tell that the BIO's was not configured correctly for the devices on the system.  There was other issues that did not provide event errors or device errors but the biggest problem was that the screen would dim so low every 3 min I always had my fingers on the FN light key.  It took a phone call every day for 15 days trying to find someone who would help me get the basics working (like the screen and the backlight keyboard).  I never really got a chance to work with the Intel vPro except on open the product and download PDF's in the hope of getting it started.  However by the time the techs finished setting the BIO's to default with out writting down with any of the configuration were. Then running a Windows 8 refreash instead of a Dell refreash or restore.  I lost the Intel vPro program.  The system was so unstable I just returned it.  I know this sound crazy but it was a great workstation.  There are not two many systems that are built as solid or with two fans to improve proformance buy keeping it cool.  So unless someone has a better idea I am going to repurchase the system again.  I just want to make sure that the Intel vPro wil work on the system configured above.  I read someplace that it will not work unless it only has Intel Graphics.  In my work I do a lot of remote access to repair systems in small business.  So if I have read the product information correctly this should provide better support.  Can you tell what I am missing or am misunderstanding before I add something to a system that may be apporperate for the use of the system.  Thank you for your advice.

I

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

It sounds like you ended up with a system that simply needed to be returned.  It sounds like you would like to use the KVM feature with Intel Active Management Technology so yes you need the Intel Integrated Graphics for that.  I have written a few blogs that might help guide you.  Note that your system will not come with Intel AMT enabled.  You will have to do that yourself.

There is a lot of information  - basically you need to first, purchase a vPro system that supports Intel AMT AND KVM, then you have to configure AMT so that you can use it.  Then if you want to use KVM but it isn't working, there are some things you can check.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

It sounds like you ended up with a system that simply needed to be returned.  It sounds like you would like to use the KVM feature with Intel Active Management Technology so yes you need the Intel Integrated Graphics for that.  I have written a few blogs that might help guide you.  Note that your system will not come with Intel AMT enabled.  You will have to do that yourself.

There is a lot of information  - basically you need to first, purchase a vPro system that supports Intel AMT AND KVM, then you have to configure AMT so that you can use it.  Then if you want to use KVM but it isn't working, there are some things you can check.

Good luck!

0 Kudos