Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Implications of not calling IMR_{IDER|SOL}CloseSession()

sohaib2y
Beginner
Hi,

Does anyone know any practicle implications of not calling IMR_SOLCloseSession() and IMR_IDERCloseSession(), IMR_Close() for library is called.

Sohaib
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ajith_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Sohaib,

As a general rule of thumb, all open calls needs to be followed by close calls after the intended use of the function is completed. There are many reasons why you would want to do that. In case of the redirection/SOL libraries, only after you call the close operation all of the allocated resources in AMT are released. Also by not calling close function, you will encounter an error next time when you try to establish the SOL/IDE-R session.

I am curious to know if there is any particular reason why you would not want to call the close functions. Please let me know.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

Hi there.

From experience, not calling SOLCloseSession is probably harmless since as soon as the SOL TCP connections is closed (Closing your application completely), Intel AMT will just wait for another session. SOL has no state so no big deal.

IDERCloseSession() and more importantly IMR_IDERSetDeviceState()should really BOTH be called. Especialy IMR_IDERSetDeviceState(). The SetState command sends a command to AMT to enable the redirected drives. If you don't call SetState() to disable the drives once you are done and before calling IDERCloseSession(), the drives will still be there once you boot into a normal OS, but any access to them will fail.

Thanks for the question, this is a little known fact about IDE-R and the importance of SetDeviceState().

Hope this helps,
Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
sohaib2y
Beginner
Thanks Ajith & Ylian,

Ajith, actually I was just testing the features and implementation of IDER_Close() requires user interaction thats why I did't use it yet.

Sohaib
0 Kudos