Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Intel AMT Storage Design Guide

timf
Beginner
Hi,

I have been looking at the documentation for the third-party storage area in the "Intel Active Management Technology Network Interface Guide". This document refers to [SDG] "Intel AMT Storage Design Guide". Is this second document available anywhere?

thanks
Tim.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Both Network Interface Guide and Storage Design Guide are included in the SDK, which can be downloaded at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
timf
Beginner
Hi Sree,

So they are... thanks. Actully, what I was looking for is something which discussed the lower level workings of the storage API described in the Storage Design Guide. That is, the message numbers, binary packing format, etc. The "iamt.lib" source code appears to be encumbered with copyright, and as such, I am finding myself rewriting it. If such documentation does not exist, I guess I will need to continue using Intel's code as a reference.

thanks again,
Tim
0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee

It's my understanding that IAMT.lib source code is not made available, just like IAMTSDK.dll. I personally thing it's a bummer, but they have not documented the protocol for 3PDS, SOL or IDE-R. I jsut checked www.openamt.org, if one day it's posted, it would be on that site. Maybe it would bea good idea to go there and ask for it.

On the other hand, we certainly don't want to discorage people from building software that makes use of 3PDS. If there are any concerns with the licencing, please let us know.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)

0 Kudos
timf
Beginner
G'day Ylian,

Actually, the source code to iamt.lib is in the SDK 3.0. I have been using that as a guide to understanding the 3PDS interface at its low level and creating my own version of the library. The 3PDS interface uses a binary serialisation of data structures with the addition of HMAC-SHA1 checksums. All of this makes it reasonably complex. What I don't understand is why it does not use the web service interface like everything else!?

As an employee of an ISV that will ultimately help promote the use of the AMT platform, I do find it strange that Intel has not made the platform completely open. It would be nice to gain access to the SOL and IDE-R interface as well....

The way in which IAMT.lib works does not integrate very well with our existing code base. I have noticed (and commented in the past) that it does not integrate very well with your Commander either. I would therefore need to change it. However, each source file contains:

/**********************************************************************
** I N T E L P R O P R I E T A R Y **
** COPYRIGHT (c) 1993 - 2006 BY INTEL CORPORATION. ALL **
** RIGHTS RESERVED. NO PART OF THIS PROGRAM OR PUBLICATION MAY **
** BE REPRODUCED, TRANSMITTED, TRANSCRIBED, STORED IN A **
** RETRIEVAL SYSTEM, OR TRANSLATED INTO ANY LANGUAGE OR COMPUTER **
** LANGUAGE IN ANY FORM OR BY ANY MEANS, ELECTRONIC, MECHANICAL, **
** MAGNETIC, OPTICAL, CHEMICAL, MANUAL, OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT **
** THE PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF : **
** INTEL CORPORATION **
** 2200 MISSION COLLEGE BOULEVARD **
** SANTA CLARA, CALIFORNIA 95052-8119 **
**********************************************************************/

and the readme:

This source code for the ISV Storage library is supplied as part of the Intel
AMT SDK.
It is intended for use as a reference to assist in the development of
applications that use the storage library. Additionally this will allow ISVs to
compile the library for use with operating systems for which a version of the
library is not supplied as part of the SDK.

The library source code is not meant for modification, reuse or distribution and
remains the intellectual property of Intel Corporation.

0 Kudos
Ylian_S_Intel
Employee
Hi. Well, I am certianly behind the times... I did not know that code was released! Cool. First, for standardization, yes, Intel is changing to a DMTF standardized interface based around WSMAN... the work has started with AMT 3.0 and will continue on upcoming versions. It's called the DASH spec but I don't know lots about it. Many vendors have asked Intel to open it's interfaces and I am glad we are doing it. It's also nice because Microsoft Windows also makes use of WSMAN, so, you can manage your OS and Hardware with the same tools.

As for the license, it's a little weird because we want you to compile it on other platforms and certainly, we are very happy to help developers... but I am not a lawyer... Maybe I can find someone at Intel that can answer this better.

Ylian (Intel AMT Blog)
0 Kudos