Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1380 Discussions

Issue with Provisioning HP dc7700 system remotely.

sayantan_majumdar

I have a few HP dc7700 systems, those needs to be provisioned remotely. By default the ME firmware version of these systems is 2.1. I have upgraded the firmware to 2.2. I am facing an issue after that once I try to provision the system remotely.

I am using SCS Light as my configuration server, and created a profile with admin/ mebx password as Password@1234 (say). But the ME BIOS password is by default "admin". Now while trying to provision those systems remotely (PKI based), I am getting an error. The server log says,

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : , Category: Supply New AMT Identity: started

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : User: () : : <********-****-****-****-************>, Category: (PLATFORM_CONFIG) : (STARTED) : Status:0

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : , Category: Supply new AMT Identity request finished successfully:

10-1-2010 20:54:7:(ERROR) : , Category: AMT Interface error: Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4023: An SSL error occurred. Verify the username and password, as well as the PSK or certifcate settings, where applicable, error in discover 4023

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: AMT Interface error: Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: Operation Error: Initial connection to Intel AMT failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: Operation Error: Intel AMT configuration failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(INFO) : User: () : : <********-****-****-****-************>, Category: (PLATFORM_CONFIG) : (FAILED) : Intel AMT configuration failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005 Status:3221227474

But if I change the ME password to Password@1234 manually to the system, then the provisioning works fine.

But ideally I should be able to set any password even if the current password is admin.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee
I have a few HP dc7700 systems, those needs to be provisioned remotely. By default the ME firmware version of these systems is 2.1. I have upgraded the firmware to 2.2. I am facing an issue after that once I try to provision the system remotely.

I am using SCS Light as my configuration server, and created a profile with admin/ mebx password as Password@1234 (say). But the ME BIOS password is by default "admin". Now while trying to provision those systems remotely (PKI based), I am getting an error. The server log says,

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : , Category: Supply New AMT Identity: started

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : User: () : : <********-****-****-****-************>, Category: (PLATFORM_CONFIG) : (STARTED) : Status:0

10-1-2010 20:54:1:(INFO) : , Category: Supply new AMT Identity request finished successfully:

10-1-2010 20:54:7:(ERROR) : , Category: AMT Interface error: Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4023: An SSL error occurred. Verify the username and password, as well as the PSK or certifcate settings, where applicable, error in discover 4023

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: AMT Interface error: Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: Operation Error: Initial connection to Intel AMT failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(ERROR) : , Category: Operation Error: Intel AMT configuration failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005

10-1-2010 20:54:16:(INFO) : User: () : : <********-****-****-****-************>, Category: (PLATFORM_CONFIG) : (FAILED) : Intel AMT configuration failed. Failed while calling Soap call GetCoreVersion. AMT Connection Error 4005: A Soap Fault occurred, error in discover 4005 Status:3221227474

But if I change the ME password to Password@1234 manually to the system, then the provisioning works fine.

But ideally I should be able to set any password even if the current password is admin.

When you are attempting to provision with an MEBx password of "admin", did you manually set the password to "admin" or did you reset the system to factory defaults?
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar
Quoting - RB (Intel)

When you are attempting to provision with an MEBx password of "admin", did you manually set the password to "admin" or did you reset the system to factory defaults?

"admin" password was set by default. I did not change it manually.
0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

You are saying... everything else being equal... it works when the MEBx is modified from the default password, but fails whentheMEBx has the defaultpassword; correct? This sounds like thedocumented behavior of a 2.1 system. Forgive the basic question here, but did you verify the FW upgrade was successful (are you seeing 2.2.x on the MEBx Screen)? If we are truly working with a 2.2 FW upgrade try re-setting ME to factory defaults... unplug the system and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds, replace the battery and try provisioning again without altering the MEBx password. Also are you using Activator to intiate the provisioning?
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar
Quoting - RB (Intel)

You are saying... everything else being equal... it works when the MEBx is modified from the default password, but fails whentheMEBx has the defaultpassword; correct? This sounds like thedocumented behavior of a 2.1 system. Forgive the basic question here, but did you verify the FW upgrade was successful (are you seeing 2.2.x on the MEBx Screen)? If we are truly working with a 2.2 FW upgrade try re-setting ME to factory defaults... unplug the system and remove the CMOS battery for about 30 seconds, replace the battery and try provisioning again without altering the MEBx password. Also are you using Activator to intiate the provisioning?

The initial configuration of the system was :

BIOS version 3.03
ME BIOS : 2.1.4

Before starting theprovisioning procedure, I upgraded the BIOS to 3.05 and ME BIOS firmware to 2.2.1.1034.

After the firmware is upgraded, I start the provisioning using Activator.exe. I am using SCS Light as my configuration server.

Now at this point I have two use cases :

1. The ME BIOS password is unchanged, so it's "admin" during the time of provisioning - Provisioning failes
2. The ME BIOS password hass been changed to "Password@1234" [the same password is being used in the SCS profile] - Provisioning fails in this case.

Regards,
Sayantan
0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

The initial configuration of the system was :

BIOS version 3.03
ME BIOS : 2.1.4

Before starting theprovisioning procedure, I upgraded the BIOS to 3.05 and ME BIOS firmware to 2.2.1.1034.

After the firmware is upgraded, I start the provisioning using Activator.exe. I am using SCS Light as my configuration server.

Now at this point I have two use cases :

1. The ME BIOS password is unchanged, so it's "admin" during the time of provisioning - Provisioning failes
2. The ME BIOS password hass been changed to "Password@1234" [the same password is being used in the SCS profile] - Provisioning fails in this case.

Regards,
Sayantan

Hi Sayantan-
Your latest post here states both attempts failed. Your earlier post seems to state scenario 2 worked ("But if I change the ME password to Password@1234 manually to the system, then the provisioning works fine."). I apologize if I'm confusing things here.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar
Quoting - RB (Intel)

Hi Sayantan-
Your latest post here states both attempts failed. Your earlier post seems to state scenario 2 worked ("But if I change the ME password to Password@1234 manually to the system, then the provisioning works fine."). I apologize if I'm confusing things here.

Oops.. Sorry.. Provisioning works fine with the password set as Password@1234. Sorry for creating the confusion.
0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar
Quoting - RB (Intel)

Hi,

When you say, this is a documented issue in 2.1, it should not be for remote provisioning right? If I am not wrong remote provisioning works in case of 2.2. Do you have any idea if this is a known issue for 2.2 MEBIOS too?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

When you say, this is a documented issue in 2.1, it should not be for remote provisioning right? If I am not wrong remote provisioning works in case of 2.2. Do you have any idea if this is a known issue for 2.2 MEBIOS too?

Thanks.

Your understanding is correct, as documented this should work for 2.2. I'm not aware of any known issues, I need to look into this further.
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I

Hi Sayantan,

Have you tried to do remote configusing the DTK Director, or using the SCA out of the SDK? Your issue sounds like a setup issue in the SCS, so I'd try to use a different method to do remote config so thatyou can see whetheryou've got a firmware issue or a tool issue.

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hi,

I'll try it with Director. But the same setup works for other hardware, and even for dc7700 with changed password.

Regards,

Sayantan

0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sayantan-

On the system in question, I'd like you to reset the system to factory defaults to ensure the MEBx password is truly "admin". If you are unfamiliar with doing this, here is how... open the case, on a dc7700 there should be a small yellow button with "CMOS" written near it (it will be near the back next to the SATA connectors). Press and hold this button for 15 to 20 seconds. Put the cover back on and rerun your provisioning test with out modifying the MEBx password. Let us know the results.

FYI - I was on the HP site, they have a newer ME Firmware image available. If the above does not work, you might want to try the newer image. If you go this route, please perform the same CMOS reset defined above after finishing the Firmware upgrade.

0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

Hi,

I have tried reseting the BIOS to factory default, and upgrading the BIOS to the newest version i.e. 2.2.21.1043 already but without luck. :(

Regards,

Sayantan

0 Kudos
Richard_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi Sayantan-

This is odd. Are you using the latest version of SCS Light (tech release 3)? Also, have you been able to run Roger's suggestion? (remote provision the system with something other than SCS Light). Finally, you mentioned ealier other systems working properly... are they later versions of Intel AMT and/or different OEM systems?

0 Kudos
sayantan_majumdar

I am using SCS Light Tech release 3 from http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-intel-AMT-SCS-technology-preview/ . Other systems are from the same OEM, and AMT versions are 3.x and 5.x. I however did not run any other tool for remote provisioning yet.

Regards,
Sayantan

0 Kudos