Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

MeshCommander and the black Remote Desktop screen

BF_
New Contributor II

My guess is that there's an incompatibility with Intel HD Graphics P530 when its real driver is used (as opposed to the generic one in Safe Mode), but here's what happens with standalone MC 0.44 against Intel ME 11.0.12:

RD works for the boot screens, boot menu, BIOS and Server 2016 Safe Mode, but all attempts to actually use it for a Server 2016 in non-Safe Mode results in "Connected" but with a black screen. Changing Image Encoding has no effect. Ctrl-Alt-Del shows nothing.

Using the Windows Remote Desktop (not to be confused with Mesh's) works fine. Video driver is current.

Any ideas, because I'm at a loss. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

Greetings,

First off I strongly suggest moving to Mesh Commander 0.4.5

Your description leaves a lot of questions

First off the OS driver has no effect on the AMT KVM.

As for Microsoft Remote Desktop it is usually connecting on port 3389 and uses the RDP protocol. it is not actually connecting to the AMT KVM Port of 5900 (VNC) or 16993/16995 (redirection ports).

The P530 chipset is for Xeon processors and depending on the configuration, AMT KVM may or may not be available.Please send me via PM the results of a systemdiscovery using the acuconfig tool.

Command line string: acuconfig.exe systemdiscovery

acuconfig.exe can be downloaded here

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

(Yes, I'm on MC 0.45 now, but it's exactly the same thing except for a warning message, so it's N/A.)

What configuration related to the chipset should I be thinking about?  

Note that KVM does work, since I've been using it. Even to Safe Mode. It just doesn't like a regular boot of Windows. That's why I was thinking about the OS driver. Otherwise, why wouldn't the problem be absolute?

Sending the file now, but I don't think it's going to yield much.

0 Kudos
Joseph_O_Intel1
Employee

The issues with Mesh Commander going to a Black Screen during reboot is related to Headless systems.

If the AMT device is headless, the GPU will power down if no requests are occuring from the OS. In this case when the device is power cycled or booted to the BIOS, the BIOS detects no attached monitor and powers down the GPU.

The solution is to get a HDMI emulator and plug it into the server. This will allow for normal AMT KVM usage

Joe

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

Big thanks to Joe for quickly figuring this out. It just never occurred to me that the lack of a monitor could possibly affect this, but KVM is a different animal, and clearly it does.

0 Kudos