Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.
1381 Discussions

Need Driver APIs to invoke LinkSec features on E1G42ET (82576EB NIC)

larry3487
Beginner
I recently purchased 2 E1G42ET network adapter to evaluate the "LinkSec" features on 82576EB.
However, I couldn't find any information about the driver API for 82576EB.
Yes, the 82576 datasheet describes the firmware interface, but I do not intend to write a driver.
I just want to write a supplicant (on Window) to invoke these features through the APIs provided by driver.

Does anyone know where to find the driver APIs for E1G42ET (82576EB NIC)?

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
THOMAS_P_Intel1
Employee
Hello,
Most the people on this forum have expertise in vPro technologies so I'm not sure we'll be able to readily answer this question. I suspect that the answer will not be specific to this one product or the Intel driver as LinkSec is an IEEE standard. I would guess that the LinkSec interface would be product independent but this is outside my area of expertise.
I will try to find a more definitive answer for you.

Cheers,
Tom
0 Kudos
larry3487
Beginner
Tom,

Thank you very much for taking my request, any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
0 Kudos
THOMAS_P_Intel1
Employee
Larry,
The hardware is LinkSec / MACSec"ready" but the software is not yet available. It should be available soon.
If you need further assistance, you may want to try contacting support through http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=network.

Thanks,
Tom
0 Kudos
larry3487
Beginner
Tom,

Much appreciate your time and efforts to get the result. I will try the support group.

Thanks

Larry
0 Kudos
madoma
Beginner
Hi Larry,

did you find something out?
I am currently writing my thesis about layer-2 encryption and macsec (802.1ae) is part of it. I read that my intel card 82567LM is also "macsec ready", but there is lack of software to test it...
I just found a switch, that can speakthe macsec key agreement protocoland handle macsec frames. Only the client implementation is missing.

Has anyone an idea to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Madoma
0 Kudos
siocnarf
Beginner
Hi Madoma,

I don't know which switch you are talking about, but i've found a Q&A document on a google forum about cisco 3750X / 3560X : http://groups.google.com/group/fido7.ru.cisco/browse_thread/thread/7dc158b8bbb7b569

The interesting part is :

Q. The NICs in my installed client base do not have encryption capability. Will

I be able to deploy Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches in my

network?

A. Cisco will offer a software-based application that can provide encryption

for legacy PCs and laptops. In these cases, the software client will handle

encryption. This client will also provide for key negotiation as described by

MACsec Key Agreement (MKA).

Maybe you can try to ask Cisco...
0 Kudos