Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Problem with the F12 key press in the DTK

jacace
New Contributor I

Hi there!

When you remote rebot an AMT machine by using the DTK is not possible to make function the F12 key.
In attached picture you can see the three available options when you remote reboot a machine; there you can use F2 and F4, but F12 does not work.

No matter what terminal emulation (VT100, ANSI) or special key translation (intel, alternate, vt100+) you choose.

Thanks a lot,

Javier Andrs Cceres alvis

19074-Terminal.JPG
0 Kudos
17 Replies
jacace
New Contributor I
I also tried with the v0.6.0937.2 version and I got the same results.

0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
I also tried with the v0.6.0937.2 version and I got the same results.

I'm still following up on thisJavier, you might have seen some of theprevious times this question came up and there doesn't seem to be a clean answer. I've been told that there might be an issue due to different OEM implementations of how the higher function keys are handled by the BIOS.

It might be worth a shot trying to use the Send Key Code functionality in the Terminal drop down. The decimal ascii code for F12 is a two character sequence, 00 (NULL), followed by 134. I think you'd enter F12 as "00;134", but I might be mistaken.

Andy
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

I'm still following up on thisJavier, you might have seen some of theprevious times this question came up and there doesn't seem to be a clean answer. I've been told that there might be an issue due to different OEM implementations of how the higher function keys are handled by the BIOS.

It might be worth a shot trying to use the Send Key Code functionality in the Terminal drop down. The decimal ascii code for F12 is a two character sequence, 00 (NULL), followed by 134. I think you'd enter F12 as "00;134", but I might be mistaken.

Andy

Hello Andy,

I modified the source code and I tried these lines with no results:

-serial.Write(new byte[] { 0x00, 0x86 }); //Hex Pair
-serial.Write("00;134"); //decimal pair
-serial.Write("00,134"); //decimal pair

The current DTK's line is:
-serial.Write(new byte[] { 27, 79, 91 });

The key translation was VT100.

Any idea?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Hello Andy,

I modified the source code and I tried these lines with no results:

-serial.Write(new byte[] { 0x00, 0x86 }); //Hex Pair
-serial.Write("00;134"); //decimal pair
-serial.Write("00,134"); //decimal pair

The current DTK's line is:
-serial.Write(new byte[] { 27, 79, 91 });

The key translation was VT100.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Javier,
Hmm, yeah I didn't think that it would work, but it was worth a shot.

Could you give me a little more information on the AMT system in question? Since there's likely a BIOS element to this, the specific OEM and AMT version will likely be important for possible troubleshooting. BIOS version might be helpful as well.

Andy
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Javier,
Hmm, yeah I didn't think that it would work, but it was worth a shot.

Could you give me a little more information on the AMT system in question? Since there's likely a BIOS element to this, the specific OEM and AMT version will likely be important for possible troubleshooting. BIOS version might be helpful as well.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Here some information:
-BIOS: JOQ3510J.86A.0942.2008.0807.1958.
-Intel AMT version: 3.2.1.
-The board is Intel versionAAD82085-701.

The system version and manufacturer is not available.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

Hello Andy,

Here some information:
-BIOS: JOQ3510J.86A.0942.2008.0807.1958.
-Intel AMT version: 3.2.1.
-The board is Intel versionAAD82085-701.

The system version and manufacturer is not available.

Thanks,

Hmm. Okay, one other thing I can think of to try with the DTK. If you go into the Remote Command drop-down in the AMT terminal, the bottom option is for a Custom Command. If you go in there, one of the Special Command options is Force PXE Boot. That might correspond to the Network Boot option you're seeing with F12 (it would depend on the OEM), in the same way that F2 in the SOL session corresponds to the Remote Reboot to BIOS setup option in the Remote Command drop down.
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Hmm. Okay, one other thing I can think of to try with the DTK. If you go into the Remote Command drop-down in the AMT terminal, the bottom option is for a Custom Command. If you go in there, one of the Special Command options is Force PXE Boot. That might correspond to the Network Boot option you're seeing with F12 (it would depend on the OEM), in the same way that F2 in the SOL session corresponds to the Remote Reboot to BIOS setup option in the Remote Command drop down.

Hello Andy,

I tried the "Force PXE Boot" special command option in the AMT terminal but the effect was just a normal reboot.

Thanks,

Javier Andrs
0 Kudos
TIMOTHY_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Javier,

We'll need to take this one up with engineering. Please submit a bug report (found here) to Support_dopd_swe@intel.com and if you could include refrence to this thread, I'll get this into engineering. Unfortunately we do not have an update planded for the DTK until end of 2009 at the earliest, so I'll be looking for a workaround.

Regards,
Tim

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Javier,

We'll need to take this one up with engineering. Please submit a bug report (found here) to Support_dopd_swe@intel.com and if you could include refrence to this thread, I'll get this into engineering. Unfortunately we do not have an update planded for the DTK until end of 2009 at the earliest, so I'll be looking for a workaround.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Javier,

Did you happen to see Ylian's blog post on this topic? It looks like the customer who wrote the first comment is having the same problem as you are. And I just received a response from Ylian saying that the only solution would be to buy almost any non-intel board. I'll let you know if we can find anything else out.
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Hi Javier,

Did you happen to see Ylian's blog post on this topic? It looks like the customer who wrote the first comment is having the same problem as you are. And I just received a response from Ylian saying that the only solution would be to buy almost any non-intel board. I'll let you know if we can find anything else out.

Hello Gael,

I spent some time researching but now it's enough =(
I'll follow the Ylian's advice.
I downloaded the bug report form but it's so detailed and I think the error scenario it's clear.

Thank you,
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello Gael,

I spent some time researching but now it's enough =(
I'll follow the Ylian's advice.
I downloaded the bug report form but it's so detailed and I think the error scenario it's clear.

Thank you,

Actually, since this is an issue that has been around for years maybe this would be a great addition for you to make in the IdeaZone website. I would vote for it! It is something that customers want and it may have negative effects on your ability to sell your product to them because you cannot provide them a use case that they need in their business. Right?
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

I was told that ESC@ may work for F12.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Also found out that you may be able to work around by using F10 to get to opitons that include network boot.

I'm trying to get F12 support in all platforms and getting info along the way.
0 Kudos
jacace
New Contributor I

Hello Lance,

I tried ESC@ int two ways but no one worked.
My first approach was:
serial.Write(0x1B);
serial.Write((byte)'@');

My second approach was:
serial.Write(new byte[] { 0x1B, (byte)'@' });

Any suggestion?

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis
Blog Personal: http://speechflow.spaces.live.com/
Blog Intel: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/author/javierandrescaceres/
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello Lance,

I tried ESC@ int two ways but no one worked.
My first approach was:
serial.Write(0x1B);
serial.Write((byte)'@');

My second approach was:
serial.Write(new byte[] { 0x1B, (byte)'@' });

Any suggestion?

Javier Andrs Cceres Alvis
Blog Personal: http://speechflow.spaces.live.com/
Blog Intel: http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/author/javierandrescaceres/

Hi Javier,
I have sent your question over to the F12 gurus - I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Gael
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Javier,
I have sent your question over to the F12 gurus - I'll let you know when I get an answer.

Gael

Javier - have you tried doing F10 - this should go to a boot list that you should be able to choose PXE from?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - DJG78

I'm also experiencingproblems with PXE, only for one specific model

From the OOB console on a HP dc7900 I can't use the intel AMT: options (force pxe boot, force cd/dvd boot, hd boot). The other boot options work perfectly. I'm not experiencing this problem with the HP dc7800, all option function well on the dc7800
I can't find an possible extra setting in BIOS

does anyone have any ideas, i'm not able to find an awnser anywhere

HP dc7900
Bios version: 786G1 v01.16
AMT Firmware version: 5.0.1.1111

Hi - I just checked HP's website and it looks like they have a new BIOs (since June 2009) but they haven't updated their Firmware to 5.1 as of yet. I would upgrade the BIOS at least and see if that helps. If not, you may need to wait until HP offers their updated 5.1 version of the firmware.
0 Kudos