Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

SCS 6 Preview 2: Failed to register service

mugwump
Beginner
Hi,

I ran InstallSCS.bat and it did the database stuff, but then after "Registering service ..." it says "Failed to register service". The SCSInstall.log ends with a successful-looking "Done!". The Event Viewer shows some warnings about the IntelSCSProv provider being registered in the WMI namespace without specifying the HostingModel property, so it will run using the LocalSystem account.

Any ideas what's going wrong?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - mugwump
Hi,

I ran InstallSCS.bat and it did the database stuff, but then after "Registering service ..." it says "Failed to register service". The SCSInstall.log ends with a successful-looking "Done!". The Event Viewer shows some warnings about the IntelSCSProv provider being registered in the WMI namespace without specifying the HostingModel property, so it will run using the LocalSystem account.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

My initial guess is that there's something going on with the user permissions that it's trying to use to register the service (although that comment about the HostingModel property is interesting). When you called InstallSCS.bat, did you pass it a domain user, or a local system user?

Let me escalate this to the team supporting SCS and see if it rings any bells. I'm sure they'll ask about the user type, but they will probably also want to know what OS you are using as well.
0 Kudos
mugwump
Beginner
I passed a local system user (although my machine is on the domain here at work). I'm using Windows XP Professional.

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - mugwump
I passed a local system user (although my machine is on the domain here at work). I'm using Windows XP Professional.

I always have to include the domain name as well. And when you specified that this user could log in as as service, did you include the domain there as well? Whenever I have had a problem with the service not registering it has always been because of the SCS User permissions and domain specifications. The user guide does a pretty decent job at describing everything that needs to be done with the User in order for the service to register.
0 Kudos
mugwump
Beginner

I always have to include the domain name as well. And when you specified that this user could log in as as service, did you include the domain there as well? Whenever I have had a problem with the service not registering it has always been because of the SCS User permissions and domain specifications. The user guide does a pretty decent job at describing everything that needs to be done with the User in order for the service to register.

So you're saying I have to use a domain user, not a local system user? it wouldn't make any sense to include the domain for allowing this user to login as a service because they are a local system user, not a domain user.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee
Quoting - mugwump

So you're saying I have to use a domain user, not a local system user? it wouldn't make any sense to include the domain for allowing this user to login as a service because they are a local system user, not a domain user.

On one occasion with a previous generation of SCS, I had to tweak some settings when I had a local user instead of a domain user. My understanding is that using a local user is allowed, let me look into whether they're expecting a certain format of argument here.
0 Kudos
Andrew_S_Intel2
Employee

One other question, did you pass in a SQL Server Name and password? I'm assuming you didn't, in which case the installer should be taking care of that portion.
0 Kudos
mugwump
Beginner
Weird, it magically started working, no idea why! :) I just moved to a different database, still sql server express.
0 Kudos