Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

SDK/SCS with Intel SR1530AH

dimia
Beginner
Hi All,

I am trying to use Manageability Developer Tool Kit v6.0.10314.2 with Intel platform SR1530AH BIOS v0054, Q6600 cpu. But it seems that this platform has AMT engine v1.3.11 and is not compatible with available Manageability Developer Tool Kit and SCS. Internet search didn't find any older versions of this software. Can anybody help with some workaround and/or source of DTK/SCS software compatible with the AMT v1.x?

Thanks and best regards,
Dmitry

--- BEGIN LOG ENTRY ---

04.02.2011 22:12:27
Version: 6.0.10314.2

ERROR: System.Net.WebException: Reset with state HTTP 404: Not Found.
in System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
in System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
in GeneralInfoService.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
in GeneralInfoService.GetCodeVersions(String& BiosVersion, FirmwareVersionType[]& Versions)
in ManageabilityStack.AmtGeneralInfo.GetVersions()
in ManageabilityStack.AmtGeneralInfo.GetStandardManagibilitySKU()
in ManageabilityStack.AmtSystem.ConnectEx(Object parameter)
in System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
in System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
in System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

RECENT EVENTS
-------------

[22:12:26] Error: System.Net.WebException
System.Net.WebException: Reset with state HTTP 404: Not Found.
in System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
in System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
in GeneralInfoService.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
[22:12:26] CallFailed: GetCodeVersions
[22:12:24] CallWarning: GetCodeVersions
[22:12:24] CallAttempt: GetCodeVersions
[22:12:23] Event: Service Setup: http://10.2.2.92:16992/GeneralInfoService
[22:12:23] Event: NetworkCredential HTTP Digest: admin, xxxxx
[22:12:23] CallCompleted: GetCoreVersion - SUCCESS
Return Param 1: SUCCESS
Return Param 2: "1.3.11"

[22:12:16] CallAttempt: GetCoreVersion
[22:12:16] Event: Service Setup: http://10.2.2.92:16992/SecurityAdministrationService
[22:12:16] Event: NetworkCredential HTTP Digest: admin, xxxxx

--- END LOG ENTRY ---
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Yes, we do not have any software for AMT versions 1.x. As Roger pointed out we have not supported that version of AMT for several years and we also stopped supporting AMT 2.x systems last year. We are currently preparing to release AMT 7.0.

Also I was not trying to say that your system does not support AMT, but Ican tellyou that Intel does not provide support for AMT on theSR1530AH server. As I indicated in my previous post your server has other Mangementstandards that are supported andthe software from Intelthat you can use to manage you system is the Intel System Management Software 1.5.

It seems that the cause of the confusion is the BIOSand its documentation. As you can see from its header it is meant to support many processors/platforms.

If you have additional questions or issues related to your server I would suggest you contact Intel support at this link.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Lance_A_Intel
Employee
Hello Dmitry,
It appears you are working with an Intel server platform and it does not have Intel Active Managment Technology. AMT is typically included on business client platforms (laptops and desktops).
You can find out more about AMT here.
0 Kudos
dimia
Beginner
Hello Lance,

I am not an Intel expert, but this entry level server platform does have the AMT. Look at the latest BIOS release notes http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19157/eng/BIOSReleaseNotes0054.TXT:

SYSTEM FIRMWARE REQUIREMENTS/REVISIONS

SATA RAID: LSI RAID for SATA - v5.4.11101321I
Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM - v5.6.2.1102
ATI RN50 VGA: BK-ATI VER008.005.023.000
Tabor, Tekoa: Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.31
Intel Active Management Technology BIOS Extension v1.2.0.0000
Intel Active Management Technology FW 1.3.11
Memory Reference Code 0.50 (equivalent to Mukilteo MRC 1.2)

I successfully activated and configured the AMT, I also have web access to AMT engine.
But the rest of SDK utilities do not work, the error log is above.

Thanks,
Dmitry

0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Wow, I'm surprised that you were able to get that much to work.

I'll revise my statement to be, your server does not support AMT. If you take a look at this page you will see that the supported management standards are DMI, SNMP for S3000AH or IPMI, DMI, CIM, SNMP, ICMB for S3000AHLX.
The management software you should use is Intel System Management Software 1.5.

I apologize for the confusion with this. It appears that the BIOS you have works on many types of systems and includes AMT, but I believe it is only meant to work on the systems that support AMT.

0 Kudos
dimia
Beginner
Lance,

Why are you trying me to believe that Intel S3000AH board doesn't support AMT? My original question was about where to get the Manageability SDK with AMT v1.3 support. Unfortunately, current version of SDK supports only AMT v2+.

Yours answers indirectly indicate that there is no such software. Seems that Intel simply stopped any support for unfortunate AMT v1.x branch. But what the end users should do with their boxes? Buy new boxes from Intel? :)

Thanks,
Dmitry
0 Kudos
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
Hi Dmitry,

I doubt that Lance is trying to convince you of an untruth. If you read the release notes with the SDK, you'll see that AMT 1.x hasn't been supported in several years. You have practically a brand new system, and the notes on the web specify that your system doesn't support AMT. The issue here is probably just a cut and paste error in the BIOS release notes of the system...nothing else. The web site doesn't advertise that your system supports AMT, so it shouldn't come as a suprise when you find that it doesn't work. This isn't some nefarious scheme by Intel to make users have to buy more boxes. The setup and configuration of AMT 1.0 required the system to be configured on a deadnet, that severly limited the viability of the solution in the enterprise management space, so support for it was dropped.

Regards,
Roger

P.S. I don't work for Intel. I've just beendealing withAMT for almost 5 years.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

I'm sorry if I was not clear.

Yes, we do not have any software for AMT versions 1.x. As Roger pointed out we have not supported that version of AMT for several years and we also stopped supporting AMT 2.x systems last year. We are currently preparing to release AMT 7.0.

Also I was not trying to say that your system does not support AMT, but Ican tellyou that Intel does not provide support for AMT on theSR1530AH server. As I indicated in my previous post your server has other Mangementstandards that are supported andthe software from Intelthat you can use to manage you system is the Intel System Management Software 1.5.

It seems that the cause of the confusion is the BIOSand its documentation. As you can see from its header it is meant to support many processors/platforms.

If you have additional questions or issues related to your server I would suggest you contact Intel support at this link.

0 Kudos
dimia
Beginner
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your replies! Today I finally received response from your senior colleagues:
"Thank you for submitting your question with regards to AMT compatibility with a SR1530AH platform. The DTK (Developers Tool Kit) only supports AMT versions 2.0 and later. Independent software vendors (ISV's) such as LANDesk, Altiris or others may have support for AMT 1.0 if you are looking for a console management solution."

I downloaded and install the trial version of "LANDesk Management Suite" and it works fine with my Intel SR1530AH systems, which actually does have the AMT (screenshots are attached). My problem is solved, but some of the documents have to be revised.

Thanks,
Dmitry

AMT-1AMT-2AMT-3
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee
Thanks for the follow up Dmitry.
I'm glad you found software that works and this is good info to share.
0 Kudos