Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

SOL F2 or F12 Fails on Dell 755

jamesartflores
Beginner

Greetings,

I am using the new Manageability Commander Tool v0.54. When I use the Manageability Terminal Tool, I am able to run the "Remoted Reboot to BIOS Setup" and the "Remoted Reboot to Redirect Floppy" without any problems.

When I try the "Remoted Reboot" option, while the Dell is booting, when I press the F2 or F12 it is not recognized. I have tried both of the Terminal Emulation VT100 options, and all 3 of the Special Key Translation options.

Has anyone else been able to use the F2 or F12 during a SOL session using the Remote Reboot option on a Dell Optiplex 755?

I am running Dell's latest version (A10) of their BIOS update. The Dell 755 shows "Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension v3.0.2.0004" in the BIOS setup.

I know there is a newer version of AMT, but I haven't been able to find it. Does Intel provide the newer AMT available for download? If it is available, could someone please provide the link? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Could you try this and see if it is working?

F10 - [OM
F9 - [Op
F2 - [OQ
F1 - [OP

You can upgrade your system to AMT version 3.2 and for that you need to contact Dell.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
jamesartflores
Beginner

Hi Sree,

I will trythose key codes, during the remote reboot of the Dell system, the screen goes by very quickly, but your suggestion has given me some ideas, I will let you know if I get it working, and will try some tests when I have a little free time to play. Thanks for your suggestion and information.

Art

0 Kudos
Trevor_Sullivan
Beginner
Art,

I finally just found the answer to this, this morning. Here is a response from Steve Taylor at Intel:

v:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Yes and Yes.

The firmware version of AMT does not correspond with the version of the MEBx interface. You can use our MEINFO tool from the OS to see the AMT FW version, as well as the status and versions of a number of other things, such as the LMS and HECI drivers.

Regards,

Steve Taylor

From: admin@lists.myITforum.com [mailto:admin@lists.myITforum.com] On Behalf Of Sullivan, Trevor
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:46 AM
To: vpro@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [vpro] Intel AMT 3.2.1 on Dell OptiPlex 755

Good morning,

Im having trouble getting a hold of someone at Dell who can assist me with this issue, and Im really just looking for some confirmation on something. Based on my understanding from other peoples posts on various forums, including Intels at least, the A10 BIOS for the Dell OptiPlex 755 should contain an update to Intel AMT 3.2.1. Ive applied the A10 BIOS update to my test system, however, when entering the MEBx, Im still being shown version 3.0.2.0004. I recall that when updating the BIOS the first time, I saw a brief message about the BIOS being updated, and then the AMT being updated, but I dont believe that the MEBx version changed at all.

This really boils down to two questions:

1. Can someone confirm that they have Dell OptiPlex 755 clients running with the Intel AMT 3.2.1 firmware?

2. Can someone from Intel confirm that the Dell OptiPlex 755 is a 3.2.1-supported platform?

Thank you,

Trevor Sullivan

Systems Engineer

OfficeMax Corporation

0 Kudos
chrismcevoy
Beginner
Hi we are trying to find a way to remotely running the Dell Diagnostics on our Dell Optiplex 755 machines. This option is available at POST by pressing f12. However, similar to the problem above - we cannot initiate an F12 using SOL remote control in the Intel AMT Manageability Commander software. I have tried on machines running the A10 BIOS and machines running the latest A13 BIOS updates from Dell.

Has the ability to send F12 over SOL been resolved yet?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Quoting - chrismcevoy
Hi we are trying to find a way to remotely running the Dell Diagnostics on our Dell Optiplex 755 machines. This option is available at POST by pressing f12. However, similar to the problem above - we cannot initiate an F12 using SOL remote control in the Intel AMT Manageability Commander software. I have tried on machines running the A10 BIOS and machines running the latest A13 BIOS updates from Dell.

Has the ability to send F12 over SOL been resolved yet?

Hi - are you using the latest version of the DTK? Also, if you can't get this to work using the DTK (or AMT Commander), I would suggest trying the IMRGUI tool that is located in the bin folder of the Intel AMT SDK. (It is an exe.) Here is a video that demonstrates how to do and IDE-R session and here is a video on how to use open a SOL session using the IMR GUI tool. Note that if the Dell Diagnostics comes up graphically, then you won't see it in a SOL Session - you can only get text through a SOL session. I'll also try this in my lab.
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi - are you using the latest version of the DTK? Also, if you can't get this to work using the DTK (or AMT Commander), I would suggest trying the IMRGUI tool that is located in the bin folder of the Intel AMT SDK. (It is an exe.) Here is a video that demonstrates how to do and IDE-R session and here is a video on how to use open a SOL session using the IMR GUI tool. Note that if the Dell Diagnostics comes up graphically, then you won't see it in a SOL Session - you can only get text through a SOL session. I'll also try this in my lab.

After doing some more poking around, this is an issue of terminal emulation and it depends on which bios you have as far as whether you will be able to actuall send an F12 during a SOL Session. In this blog, Ylian thought he had fixed this at some point in the development of the DTK (there is a comment where Ylian explains what he did.) Thisforum posthas more history as well. And here is another blog where Ylian is talking about this issue.

So I'm not sure I can answer your question. From what I gather, developers have been able to send the right key sequence on HP systems - it's highly dependant on what BIOs you have and what Terminal Emulation it supports.

If anyone out there knows more about this, we would really appreciate hearing from you.
0 Kudos