Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

Serial Over Lan and FreeBSD

kalinek
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to use serial over lan that's active on my AMT 3.0.2 machines. However my only success to time is entering the BiosSetup screen. When I boot FreeBSD on the machine I cannot find the serial device that I could start the terminal on.

Could you provide me with the answer - what kind of a driver does it need to show up and do you happen to know if it is available anywhere for the FreeBSD kernel? Or maybe there is no driver at all - and does this mean that there is no technical possibility to use this feature under FreeBSD?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RBens2
Valued Contributor I
On which side of the connection are you trying to connect the terminal, the client side, or the server side? On the AMT client side, the FreeBSD installation will have to have a PCI serial port driver installed in order to expose the SOL COM port. On the server side, the connection to the SOL data stream has to be made through the IMRSDK library DLL, or you can use something like the AMTterminal tool that comes with the DTK.

0 Kudos
kalinek
Beginner
Quoting - rogerb
On which side of the connection are you trying to connect the terminal, the client side, or the server side? On the AMT client side, the FreeBSD installation will have to have a PCI serial port driver installed in order to expose the SOL COM port. On the server side, the connection to the SOL data stream has to be made through the IMRSDK library DLL, or you can use something like the AMTterminal tool that comes with the DTK.

I'm trying to connect from a non-AMT remote machine to a machine with AMT onboard - running FreeBSD OS.

I'm using AMTTerminal to connect (and I already succeded entering the BiosSetup screen), my problem is to expose the console through the sol port.

Thank you for your tip, I'll try again in a next few days and let you know if I got it working.

0 Kudos