Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

img file format support for ide-r redirection in Linux

MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi,

In AMT 9.5 SDK(IntelAMT9.5.0.27Gold) there is note related to img/iso file redirection for Linux

When working in Linux, Redirection is supported with physical disks only.  There is no Linux Redirection support for iso or img files.

But when I checked the Redirection sample program available in AMT 9.5 SDK(ntelamt9.5.0.27gold\IntelAMT9.5.0.27Gold\Linux\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\RedirectionSample), it shows like iso/img can be redirected. README have following details

How to work with iso or img files:
-----------------------------------
Unlike real CD or real floopy, working with iso\img files doesn't require files to the file system.
In order to work iso\img file, send the file path as input parameter without doing anything else.
For example, if MyFloopy.img file is located at /home/Desktop, send "/hone/Desktop/Myfloopy.img" path as the floopy device.

I'm able to redirec img file using RedirectionSample from CentOS 5.3.

I would like know is IMG file redirection is supported in Linux(Conflict information between SDK and sample). ISO file redirection is not working from Linux

Is there any size limitation for redirecting for img file? I'm trying to reboot to redirected img file, some files were rebooting to img file and some files were not rebooting to img file(Same img file reboots from usb flash drive)

Do we have any specification related to using img file redirection  in Windows/Linux?

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Gael_H_Intel

The ability to use an image file was one of the changes for 9.5.  Were you looking at the Implementation guide online, or the one that is part of the SDK?  I will look into this.  We probably need to update the on-line Implementation Guide.. 

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Ok..  I see that the documentation for 9.5 has not been updated.  However I also see that there are some known issues for linux and redirection:

I have sent your questions to the dev team regarding specifications. From the first known issue below, I would not be surprised if there was a size issue.  That doesn't explain why the same image works over a USB stick, however.

Known Issues:

1. Redirection library: The Linux version of the redirection library does not support IDER over DVD.
  2. Redirection library: Cannot write a to floppy diskette.
  3. Redirection library: Trying to connect without first configuring the CIRA settings may result in a Timeout error after the CIRA settings are configured.
  4. Redirection library: The IDER session may close unexpectedly in the following scenario:  IDER and SOL sessions are open and sending data from the console to the Intel AMT in S3.  The user then wakes up the Intel AMT to S0 and during the wake up, the user enables the IDER registers.
0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi Gael,
Thanks for you reply. I'm able to see this limitation notes in online and as well as part of SDK
Online link details below

http://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm
SDK Resource -> Redirection Library -> Linux Sample Application

Based on your reply, ISO also should work in Linux version, but i'm not able to redirect iso from Linux.
Please check details related to iso redirection support in Linux also.

I'm trying to redirect 32 MB img file and rebooting to redirected img file from Linux system, it's rebooting to img file(DOS) and while executing application in DOS it's failing. So I would like to know how the image is transferred to AMT system, all 32 MB is transferred at once and rebooting or it's transferring sector by sector after rebooting to DOS. If I create iso image and redirect from windows it's rebooting to freedos and application is working fine. So any change for files inside img were not redirected completely in Linux version of redirection library

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Mani,  Here is what I was able to find out so far:  (Is your IS ISO a bootable CD image?)  

We support IMG and CD ISO bootable files. An easy way to check whether it's bootable file or not is opening an IDER session from Windows console with the same ISO file.

0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi Gael,

The same iso file boots from windows console and I tried reboot from redirected CD  in Intel Management commander tool from windows system, it got booted in AMT system.

But if we redirect iso file from Linux sample, it's not redirected to AMT machine i.e redirected iso file is not visible in AMT system.

I'm able to see Intel Virtual CD ATA Device in AMT system as D: drive

When I clicked cd drive(D: ) it shows message as Please insert a disk into CD Drive(D: )

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

I will ask about this.  You are booting the same AMT Client, correct?  The only thing changing is the Linux vs Windows Management console?   The AMT Client has the 9.5 version of the FW?  If now, what is its configuration?

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hello Mani,

Which path did you insert as your floppy device to the sample? The same as the CD input parameter?

I am asking, because if you send the input parameter the same path to both CD and floppy,  the redirection library recognizes the image as a floppy device and therefore you wouldn't be able to open it as a CD device.

Can you please send what you are using as input parameters in the sample?

0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hello Gael,

I'm trying Linux sample application provided in AMT 9.5 SDK and using img, iso file(available in SDK, separate files and not same ).

For checking ide-r from windows I used Intel(R) vPro(tm) Platform Solution Manager, Intel management commander tool.

Tried iso , img file redirection from windows and able to see Intel virtual cd drive, Intel virtual floppy drive.

When I tried iso , img file redirection from Linux, it's not redirected to AMT system. AMT version tried used is 9.0.1-build 1333.

Both img and iso was not available in AMT 9 system. Interesting behavior I found is, if I try redirection from Linux using AMT 6, AMT 7, AMT 8 versions img file got redirected but iso redirection is not working. In AMT 9 version img, iso file redirection is not working when tried from Linux.

Can you confirm whether iso, img file redirection from Linux is supported in AMT 9 versions

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

This is an SDK requirement, not a FW requirement so 9.0x FW should be fine.

What are you are using as input parameters in the sample?

Gael

0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi Gael,

As per instruction in Readme of "IntelAMT9.5.0.30Gold\Linux\Intel_AMT\Samples\Redirection\RedirectionSample

In order to work iso\img file, send the file path as input parameter without doing anything else.
For example, if MyFloopy.img file is located at /home/Desktop, send "/hone/Desktop/Myfloopy.img" path as the floopy device.

I tried with iso, img path as /home/xxxx/test.iso and /home/xxxx/test1.img and it's not got redirected in AMT system

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Is there a command that you are typing in?  If so could you let me know what it is?  Is the path the only input parameter?  

0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi Gael,

I tried the example application available in AMT SDK for Linux(imrcli). Command used and parameter available at the end

After providing img, iso file details, two different scenario's happening based on AMT version

AMT versions <=8

-  img file got redirected and i'm able to see img files in floppy drive of AMT system

-  iso file not get redirected(Unable to see iso files in Intel Virtual CD drive of AMT system)

AMT Version 9

Both img and iso file not get redirected(Unable to see is/imgo files in Intel Virtual CD/floppy drive of AMT system)

./imrcli
Redirection Console Sample Application version 1.0.1.54
Copyright (C) Intel Corporation, 2003 - 2009

Client List
ID      Address/Name            Type
------------------------------------
No clients available

Options:
a. Add Client
b. Delete All Clients
c. Set TLS Certificates
x. Exit

Choose an option or a client ID> a
Enter client name/address: xx.x.x.xxx
Select client type, 'TCP' or 'TLS': [TCP]
Client added successfully with id 0.

Client List
ID      Address/Name            Type
------------------------------------
0.      xx.x.x.xxx              TCP

Options:
a. Add Client
b. Delete All Clients
c. Set TLS Certificates
x. Exit

Choose an option or a client ID> 0

Options:
a. Delete Client
b. Open SOL Session
c. Open IDER Session
x. Exit

Choose an option> c
Enter user name: admin
Enter password:
Configure proxy settings? [Yes|No] No
Enter floppy device: [/dev/fd0] /root/xxxx/test.img
Enter cdrom device: [/dev/cdrom] /xxx/test1.iso

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Hi Mani - so sorry for the delays.  I have had to file a support ticket on this one.  By the way, are you attempting this from an OEM branded system?  Which one? 

0 Kudos
MPala11
New Contributor II

Hi Gael,

I tried Acer systems(AMT 9 version, AMT 7 version.) and Intel desktop boards(AMT 8 versions) for IDE-R redirection in Linux

Thanks,

Mani

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Ok, our support team needs the following:

1. OEM Make and model  (which model is your ACER system?)
  2. We need the Systemdiscovery.xml file.
  3. Regarding the iso image - what is it and can get a copy for testing?

Thanks,

Gael

0 Kudos