Intel® Business Client Software Development
Support for Intel® vPro™ software development and technologies associated with Intel vPro platforms.

"Me is in recovery state"

nor500
Beginner

I have got an asus p5e-vm do maiboard with intel q35 integrated vpro technology. I upgraded to the latest bios of the mainboard, and suddenly during the booting process "Me is in recovery state" post appeared and the intel amt stopped working anymore. I tried to downgrade back to the previous bios, but it didn't help.

First time I contacted to asus costumer service, surpricingly they redirect me to intel costumer service to solve problem. Actually I am not sure how to write to intel costumer service. I only know this forum where maybe my problem can be helped.

So please help me, how I canovercome this "Mi is in recovery state issue".

Thank you,

Norbert Dupsi

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

Please do a CMOS reset and see if that helps. The link here will give you details on how to do the CMOS reset and Bios recovery process.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner
I already did a cmos reset. Unfortunately it didn't help. I also tried bios downgrade, which didn't also didn't solve the problem.
0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner
Any other idea?
0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this. Will get back to you soon.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel

Acer should be asking you questions like "Where did you get your FW upggrade?", ie, what version of the FW are you upgrading to? And (I'm sorry - I'm not familiar with the specific ACER model numbers) what version of AMT does your system support? Are you upgrading your drivers as well as the FW?

Could you provide the following;

• AMT version that your system supports
  • FW version that you had on your system prior to upgrading
  • FW version that you were upgrading to
  • Driver version that you are upgrading to
  • Did you have instructions on how to perform the upgrade, and did you follow them? :-)
  • I'm assuming that you got the latest FW from the ACER site, is that correct? If not, then where did you get it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner
Normal 0 21 false false false HU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Norml tblzat"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Hello Gael,

The manufacturer of the my motherboard is ASUS not ACER. The exact description is: ASUS P5E-VM DO

I am not sure about the Amt version it supports, but I know it has intel q35 chipset. - Probably Amt 3.

I was upgrading from 0702 to 0803 firmware. I followed the exact instructions from asus as described:

*Please set service mode Jumper to 2-3 during Bios update or unplug Memory from DIMM Slot A1, remember to set back the service mode Jumper to 1-2 after BIOS update and plug Memory Back to DIMM Slot A1 or you will receive an error message.

I got the firmware from the official asus site:

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?model=P5E-VM%20DO&SLanguage=en-us

What do you mean Driver version I am upgrading to?

Thanks for your help,

Norbert

0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner

Hello Gael,

The manufacturer of the my motherboard is ASUS not ACER. The exact description is: ASUS P5E-VM DO

I am not sure about the Amt version it supports, but I know it has intel q35 chipset. - Probably Amt 3.

I was upgrading from 0702 to 0803 firmware. I followed the exact instructions from asus as described:

*Please set service mode Jumper to 2-3 during Bios update or unplug Memory from DIMM Slot A1, remember to set back the service mode Jumper to 1-2 after BIOS update and plug Memory Back to DIMM Slot A1 or you will receive an error message.

I got the firmware from the official asus site:

http://support.asus.com.tw/download/download.aspx?model=P5E-VM%20DO&SLanguage=en-us

What do you mean Driver version I am upgrading to?

Thanks for your help,

Norbert
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Sounds like there is an issue between the BIOS versions you have tried and AMT.

Your AMT should be back to defualts after performing the CMOS reset, so the issue is most likely with the BIOS. ASUS should be able to provide you support for their BIOS versions.

You can alsotake a look at the Intel Desktop Board site and try to use a BIOS there for your board (if there is an equivalent board). Then if you have problems with an Intel BIOS you can contact Email Tech Support.

0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner
Is it possible to use Intel bios for another manufacturer's motherboard like, Asus?
0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
I would think you would need to usethe specific BIOS that your OEM has made available on their website.
0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner

I agree with you to use only offcial Asus bios for the Asus motherboard. However, I am still facing with the "Me in recovery state' error probllem. The thing is I contacted Asus costumer service three days ago, to my greatest surprice as they they had noidea how to solve that problem, they suggested to go to Intel costumer service. I just can't imagine why would intel costumer service deal with an asus motherboard issue, eventough the board uses intel's vpro technology. Do I think it correctly? To my secondreply, they told, they will redirect my problem to another department, and I am still waiting for them.

So that is my case. Now I have got a motherboard with vpro technology which is totally not functioning. Probably I will never buy asus motherboard again, however, I still need to fix this problem to be able to use the managability functiona of this oem board.

So if you have got any more idea how to fix this,

Please help me,

Norbert

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

I was looking at the specs for this motherboard and found that it comes with CrashFree Bios 3 utility as mentioned here. Have you tried this?

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner

Hi,

I also tried crash free bios. It is nothing special but a small dos utility you can put on a bootable media with bios fileto flashthe bios. So I tried it without success.

I would like to ask what "me is in recovery" post messagemeans? and also would like to knowwhether the bios contains the intel amt management software in the pre boot environment.

best regards,

still would be grateful to be helped solving the "me is in recovery" mystery.

Norbert

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this. Will get back to you.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Sreelekshm_S_Intel

Hi

We would like to get a few more details from you on this:

1. Have you done a BIOS update before? If it worked before but not this time, the issue may be on this latest BIOS file.

2. Please confirm that you have followed these steps for the Bios:
  • Power off the system and remove AC power.
  • Wait for 10 seconds

• Move the jumper to 2-3 position and move memory to CH2 (DIMM 3 or DIMM4)

• Plug back AC and power on the system
  • Follow Asus step to run the SW tool with the rom file to update BIOS
  • After Bios flash, power off the system and remove AC power

• Wait for 10 seconds.

• Move the jumper to 1-2 position and move memory to CH1 DIMM0

• < o:p>

Plug AC power back and power on the system

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
Hi - it's been a while - did you resolve your problem?
0 Kudos
nor500
Beginner
Sorry about the late update. I contacted asus tech support they couldn't resolve this issue and suggested an RMA.I received a brand new boardlastweek. With this new motherboard the built-in management platform is working properly. However, I am not going to make a bios upgrade in this board again. In the mean time I bought one Intel Dq35joe board, which is superior tomyasus boardin terms of design. While the asus motherboard's (p5e-vm do)bios can be only upgraded if you open the computer case, remove the memory from slot a1 and put ajumper into a so called service mode, with the Intel motherboard (dq35-joe) you don't need to do such big fuss for the same result. So until now I have been only been buying asus boards, buth that was the last one..probably I change to intel.
0 Kudos
Lance_A_Intel
Employee

Good info, thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Gael_H_Intel
My gosh.... Those are a lot of "hoops" to have to jump through in order to update the firmware! Thanks for the update!
0 Kudos
gbeaudoin
Beginner

I'd like to chime in.

I currently have a ASUS manufacturedP5E-VM DO motherboard that report "ME is in recovery state". Upon a google search, this page is the sole relevant webpage about this error.

What does "ME is in recovery state" mean?

Original version and lastest version of bioses available from ASUS report the error. Changing BIOS revision don't change the motherboard's behavior.

0 Kudos