Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

11.1 Install fails with "Invalid directory" message on default install options

Nikhil_Deshpande
Beginner
We are currently upgrading our tools to 11.1.051 and for most developers the install was a breeze. 2 developers have an issue where they are not able to install to the default "C:\Program Files\Intel" folder. The installer states that it is an invalid directory. This is even after the installer extracts all the files into the \download folder.
All antivirus is Off. Simple File sharing is off. System has been rebooted. Other apps install fine to the Program Files folder. Installer has Admin privileges
I saw one other occurance of this sort of behaviour on the Fortran forum with 11.1 but there was no resolution listed there.
Any ideas ?

Dev Env
----------
VS2008 SP1 on Windows XP Professional with SP3

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JenniferJ
did you install with "Complete" installation type or "Custom" installation type?

Jennifer
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Another question is when you get the error msg about "c:program files ..." like which steps, what is displayed on the installation dialog?

or could you send a screen-shot of the error dlg and the installation dlg?

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Deshpande
Beginner

Another question is when you get the error msg about "c:program files ..." like which steps, what is displayed on the installation dialog?

or could you send a screen-shot of the error dlg and the installation dlg?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Both standard and custom instll options tried.
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Deshpande
Beginner
Here's the installation log. Anything else we can supply ?
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Depending on your Windows version, you may actually have to log in as administrator to install the compiler. So far, my experience with Windows 7 is a welcome change from that situation.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Here's the installation log. Anything else we can supply ?

do you have a "D:" drive? is there another OS on "D:"?

Jennifer
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Deshpande
Beginner

do you have a "D:" drive? is there another OS on "D:"?

Jennifer
Will check and get back to you. Most of our developers have an external drive where their code is but no software installs on that drive. The developers with the issue are not on-site so there's a little lag before I get answers from them.
What should I be asking them to check for ?
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Will check and get back to you. Most of our developers have an external drive where their code is but no software installs on that drive. The developers with the issue are not on-site so there's a little lag before I get answers from them.
What should I be asking them to check for ?

I've also sent this bug with log file to our compiler's installation team to investigate. The log file shows the target drive is "D:". It's a bug that the installation sets target drive as "D:". But it must be come from somewhere and the log file didn't say that. orI didn't find it. so I'mwondering if you're using "D:" for anything.

I'll get back to you when I learn more about this from the log file.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
randwulftech
Beginner
I have tried to load this on to a Windows XP 32 bit machine and it gives the access denied. I've tried my Windows 7 laptop (which I wanted to use to port my old Fortran 2000 projects before I put them on my workstation. Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 goes on fine on all machines. It's the Intel Fortran that has been nothing but a hassle. I've tried to contact "support" but was ignored. I've never had software that just refuses to load. It's the only one.

Randwulf

We are currently upgrading our tools to 11.1.051 and for most developers the install was a breeze. 2 developers have an issue where they are not able to install to the default "C:Program FilesIntel" folder. The installer states that it is an invalid directory. This is even after the installer extracts all the files into the download folder.
All antivirus is Off. Simple File sharing is off. System has been rebooted. Other apps install fine to the Program Files folder. Installer has Admin privileges
I saw one other occurance of this sort of behaviour on the Fortran forum with 11.1 but there was no resolution listed there.
Any ideas ?

Dev Env
----------
VS2008 SP1 on Windows XP Professional with SP3

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - randwulftech
I have tried to load this on to a Windows XP 32 bit machine and it gives the access denied. I've tried my Windows 7 laptop (which I wanted to use to port my old Fortran 2000 projects before I put them on my workstation. Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 goes on fine on all machines. It's the Intel Fortran that has been nothing but a hassle. I've tried to contact "support" but was ignored. I've never had software that just refuses to load. It's the only one.

Randwulf

Hi Randwulf,
Yeh, I can understand the frustration. Sorry for such inconvenience.

This issue is being fixed as we speak now. For now, please use "Custom" installation type, and entry a directory that is not "c:program files".

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
FYI. This issue has been fixed for a while since update 5.

Please post here if it is still an issue for you and thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos