Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7939 Discussions

A potential divide by 0 is ignored by Intel C++ compiler ( no warning or remark displayed )

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Please investigate a potential divide by 0 is ignored by Intel C++ compiler ( v13.x / W5 level of warnings / no warning or remark displayed ). I've done a verification with Microsoft C++ compiler and it reports:

double dX = 1.0L;
double dResult = (-dX + dX )/(-dX + dX );

..\Common\PrtTests.cpp(21076) : warning C4723: potential divide by 0

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If this compiles correctly, the result should be NaN, possibly set at compile time.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...If this compiles correctly, the result should be NaN, possibly set at compile time... Thanks, Tim. It compiles. I know that a result of the expression has to be equal to NaN and I'll do a verification if it sets at compile time. However, I really expected a warning or a remark from Intel C++ compiler especially when option /W5 is used. I'll also do a verification with option /Wcheck.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>double dResult = (-dX + dX )/(-dX + dX );>>>

If it compiles it should return a NAN.I used such a code to emulate a NaN returning to the caller.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

In the event that the compiler (version you have) is faulty and returns 0.0 as opposed to NaN, then try using "volatile double dX = 1.0L;"

IOW force the compiler to generate code to perform the calculation (as opposed to having the optimization pre-compute the result).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>A potential divide by 0 is ignored by Intel C++ compiler... >> >>In the event that the compiler (version you have) is faulty and returns 0.0 as opposed to NaN... It doesn't return 0.0 and I didn't want to look or to take into account all the rest possible problems. Now, I confirm the problem and here are more details: Note: Verified with versions 12.x and 13.x of Intel C++ compiler on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms. [ Test-Case 1 - /W5 /Wcheck options used ] ... double dX = 0.0L; dX = ( -1.0L + 1.0L )/( -1.0L + 1.0L ); dX = dX; ... [ COMPILATION Output 1 ] ... ..\DivTestApp.cpp(24): warning #39: division by zero dX = ( -1.0L + 1.0L )/( -1.0L + 1.0L ); ... [ Test-Case 2 - /W5 /Wcheck options used ] ... double dX = 1.0L; double dResult = ( -dX + dX )/( -dX + dX ); ... [ COMPILATION Output 2 ] No Warning
0 Kudos