Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

About file size of dll or lib

Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi all

I used tachyon_studio sample that have in Intel folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio 2011\Samples\en_US) and compare file size that built by Intel C++ Compiler and Visual C++ Complier.

File size of tachyon.common project that built by Intel C++Compiler: 21,728,118 bytes

File size of tachyon.common project that built by Visual C++ Complier: 3,046,742 bytes

Although program is still working correctly, but the size(built by Intel C++Compiler) is increased too much. Can anyone give me some explanations? Is this normal or abnormal?

I'm using Intel Parallel 2011 Update 1 and Visual Studio 2008.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
30 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>Although program is still working correctly, but the size(built by Intel C++Compiler) is increased too much. Can anyone >>give me some explanations? Is this normal or abnormal? I wouldn't make any speculative statements or suggestions before looking into tachyon_studio sample. >>I'm using Intel Parallel 2011 Update 1 and Visual Studio 2008. I'll take a look at the sample project some time later using Intel Parallel Studio 2011 Update 3 and Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition.
0 Kudos
Anoop_M_Intel
Employee

I am able to reproduce Tuan's findings. I will investigate this further and keep you all posted on the same. Thanks Tuan for reporting this observation.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I am able to reproduce Tuan's findings. I will investigate... Thank you, Anoop. In that case I will simply move on something else. Please keep everybody informed.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You can use dumpbin tool for PE file inspection.Look for the various sections size parameter.

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Anoop,

Do you have any information?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Tuan,

Could you please check if "Multi-File optimization (/Qipo)" has been enabled? With /Qipo enabled , the size would increase because there would be an mock object file getting created which would be very bulky. So disable the "/Qipo" and see if the size reduces.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Tuan,

Forgot to mention, if you see that disabling "/Qipo" doesnt decrease the size, Please do let me know the Options that's been set at your side, You can simply copy paste the whole command line options used (Project-properties-->C/C++ --> Command Line).

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth

When I disable /Qipo option, dll file size is 744,986. It is lower than dll file size of VC compiler.

Do you know why dll file size isn't equal? 

But in another project, if I disable /Qipo option, dll file size inscrease. And If i enable /Qipo option, dll file size descrease.

Do you know reason and is this abnormal?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Tuan,

Would it be possible for you to send a testcase for the 2nd case, where with "/Qipo" the size of the build folder gets *DECREASED*? So that i can have a look at it. Because when i built the tachyon example with and without "/Qipo" option, i could see the difference in size of the build folder( Size increased with the "/Qipo" ). But i didnt see the vice versa case!!

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Would it be possible for you to send a testcase for the 2nd case... Sukruth, Please take a look at the 1st post in the thread. It says: >>...C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio 2011\Samples\en_US... >> >>File size of tachyon.common project... You should have it on your computer. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Sukruth_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Sergey,

Sure i have it. But i am not able to reproduce the 2nd case that Tuan is experiencing, where the build folder size decreases with "/Qipo" option been enabled.

Regards,

Sukruth H V

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sukruth

I'm trying reproduce the 2nd case in a new project. I will contact later.

And please let me know if have any problem when file size is so different like that?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Sukruth, >>...But i am not able to reproduce the 2nd case that Tuan is experiencing... Do you use Intel Parallel Studio 2011 Update 1 or a different version/update? If you use a different version/update it could be a possible reason why you can't reproduce the 2nd case. Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Anoop_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Tuan

Like Sukruth rightly pointed out, /Qipo is the reason for increase in binary size. /Qipo does an agressive inlining and so the increase in binary size is expected. But in this case the increase in binary size is way higher and I am trying to nail down what exactly is leading to this extra blot up. You can try the /Qip option instead and you will see a smaller binary than the one generated my default Visual Studio compiler. Also the performance numbers are not compromised by switching from /Qipo to /Qip.

It is interesting that you did encounter a case where using /Qipo decreased the binary size. Please share the testcase when you reproduce that. In the meantime, I will keep you posted on the findngs and proceedings on this issue.

Thanks and Regards
Anoop

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi all

I would like to send source code that file size in case enable /Qipo is lower than file size in case disable /Qipo.

I changed some options and build type from lib to dll.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi all

I would like to send source code that file size in case enable /Qipo is lower than file size in case disable /Qipo.

And in this source, eventhough I disable /Qipo, file size built by Intel complier is larger than file size built by VC compiler.

I changed some options and build type from lib to dll.

(Please change tachyon_studio.001.7z to tachyon_studio.7z.001. Similar with other files.)

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi all

Does anybody have any information?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi Sergey Kostrov

Do you have information about this problem.

If my sample have any problem or you need more information, please let me know.

With large size project, it takes too much time to build by Intel compiler C++.

Best regards,

Tuan

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi, As you can see Sukruth-v (Intel) and Anoop Madhusoodhanan Prabha (Intel) are taking care of the problem and I hope that they provide you with updates. Thanks. PS: As soon as there is a news regarding some problem Intel software engineers provide update. Please be patient.
0 Kudos
Ha_Duy_Tuan
Beginner

Hi,

Could anyone tell me how about a status of this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos