Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

After updating to Visual Studio 16.8.2, all Intel Compiler projects are broken

Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

After updating to Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.8.2, all my Intel Compiler projects stopped working.

I already reinstalled "parallel_studio_xe_2020_update4_composer_edition_for_cpp_setup.exe"  and the errors persist.

ERROR Messages:

Rebuild started...
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: MNPS, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: The "ICL" task failed unexpectedly.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: Parameter name: key
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: at Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICL.IsOMPDisabled()
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4018: at Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICL.set_OffloadOpenMPTarget(String value)
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(471,7): error MSB4026: The "OffloadOpenMPTarget=%(ClCompile.OffloadOpenMPTarget)" parameter for the "ICL" task is invalid.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets(347,5): error MSB4063: The "ICL" task could not be initialized with its input parameters.
1>Done building project "MNPS.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

More: 

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error MSB4026 The "OffloadOpenMPTarget=%(ClCompile.OffloadOpenMPTarget)" parameter for the "ICL" task is invalid. C:\ALA64_10\sdlMNPS\MNPS\MNPS\MNPS.vcxproj C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets 471
Error (active) E1696 cannot open source file "dfp754.h" MNPS C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\compiler\include\mathimf.h 260
Error (active) E0081 more than one storage class may not be specified MNPS C:\ALA64_10\sdlMNPS\DBS_E_Field.C 121
Error (active) E0081 more than one storage class may not be specified MNPS C:\ALA64_10\sdlMNPS\DBS_E_Field.C 1494
Error (active) E0411 a parameter is not allowed MNPS C:\ALA64_10\SDL\wat.h 230
Error MSB4018 The "ICL" task failed unexpectedly.
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
at Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICL.IsOMPDisabled()
at Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICL.set_OffloadOpenMPTarget(String value) C:\ALA64_10\sdlMNPS\MNPS\MNPS\MNPS.vcxproj C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets 347
Error MSB4063 The "ICL" task could not be initialized with its input parameters. C:\ALA64_10\sdlMNPS\MNPS\MNPS\MNPS.vcxproj C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler 19.1\Toolset.targets 347

I also attached the compilation log.

Any solution?

Thanks

Armando Alaminos Bouza

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

What happens when you create a new Intel project (e.g. "Hello World")?

What happens when you

Start | Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020 | Compiler 19.1 for Intel64
   (is the above path found?)
   (does it launch a command window?)

then in CMD window:

icl

Does it display the compiler info?

Jim Dempsey

Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Hello, Dr. Dempsey.

The command line ICL is working. I just compiled a small console program for testing N-body problems with success. This is only one  .c  file (C99), without resource files or graphic UI.

The problem is triggered by big projects using graphic UI, OpenMP, resource files, etc, that is our real work. All of those projects are inside the VS environment. Migrating them to the command line is beyond my level!

Thanks!

Armando

Armando_L_A__0-1606145302236.png

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

At time in the past, when upgrading MS VS, I've experienced incompatible solution/project files, that necessitated recreation of the solution and projects. This was inconvenient to say the least. In particular, I had issues when upgrading MS VS 2005 to 2017 (12 years difference).

To facilitate the change, I opened the solution&projects in MS VS 2005 on one system, and created a new solution and projects on a different system using MS VS 2017. Then duplicated the settings as best as possible.

This experience is why I do not upgrade all my systems at once.

I was not suggesting that you migrate to command line. Rather, simply testing that PS 2020, and icl was at least installed in the correct location.

Your next step should be to create a "simple" project using graphic UI, OpenMP, resource files, etc, to test all the functional components of your project using new solution and project files.

If this does not work, then there is likely an installation and/or PS integration issue (reinstall PS, and if needed VS then PS).

If this does work, then you will need to recreate your solution and projects.

Jim Dempsey

Newell__Glenn
Novice

FYI, exact same problem here.

Not using OpenMP, and removed the offload openMP  flag in the compiler command line/options but I still get the error.

Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

In case it can help you:

To my surprise, I was able to open VS 2019 projects with VS 2017 version 15.9.26, so I could resume working.

0 Kudos
AbhishekD_Intel

Hi Armando,

I can see that you are using PSXE-2020 update 4 with VS-2019 16.8.2, which is not supported as of now.

The latest version of Visual Studio supported with PSXE 2020-u4 as of now is VS 2019 16.7.2 please refer to the below link and according to your environment please choose your VS version to compile your projects.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html

Whereas you can use PSXE with the command line.

So try using the supported version of VS for your installed Parallel Studio.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Hi Abhishek,

Thank you for your information. Anyway, I never uninstalled VS 2017 and it was possible to open the projects using 2017, to our relief.

Regarding PSXE-2020, we are not using it because of several errors in compiling and linking. Whole program optimization (/O3 /Qipo) returns an internal error of the compiler and /O3 /Qip creates the wrong code. PSXE-2020 only produces correct code with /d or /O1, so I am still using Parallel Studio XE 2018. (I reported that previously, and I am not the only one reporting such problems).

Regards,

Armando

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

Wanted a couple of info on this before I get back to you.

1. When do you usually update your VS version?
  2. While updating do you consider checking https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-compilers-compatibility-with-microsoft-visual-studio-and-xcode.html.
  3. Some versions of VS are released after a particular compiler version is released in that case the compatibility may be effected.

Answering these questions will help me to guide you better.

0 Kudos
Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Hi Subarnarek_G_Intel.

1- The MS VS continually annoy the users with a message regarding the need to update. To avoid bothering, I click the <update> button after one or two weeks.
2 - I read your "readme" only when installing the Intel C++ update. I only remember that is compatible with the major version, not the minor subversions of VS.

3 - It is clear for me and many others now.

Additional Clarifications.

We use VS as a development environment, the compiler capacity of Microsoft is not important to us. As we use C, mainly as C99, Microsoft compiler is completely useless to us. Microsoft C compiler only supports an incomplete and obsolete subset of C99.
In fact, if Intel C++/C/FORTRAN would be independent of MS VS that was marvelous.

The only motivation I had with VS 2020 was the inclusion of the Clang compiler, which is an interesting addition to the VS environment, even with the limited options and switches exposed under VS. Clang has full support to C99 as far as I could check, and reasonably coverage of OpenMP. Anyway, Clang is still far from Intel C/C++ regarding number-crunching optimization and that is critical to us.

A last comment. Intel C 19.xx is making wrong assumptions under maximum optimization and whole program optimization (/Qipo even aborts with internal errors). We were forced to retract into Intel C 2018. Several portions of code that worked perfectly under Intel C 13..18 produces wrong code compiled with ICL 2019. I reported that several weeks ago. It is difficult for me to isolate the specific functions, they are part of huge projects.

Thanks for your attention.

Armando Alaminos Bouza

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

I've been burned twice by updates, once my fault completely for not checking, and most recently having dotnet 5.0 needs that required the 16.8.2. I have another computer with Intel Composer installed and VC2019 that is not updated until I see what problems nay occur. I would recommend a warning in installation if something significant will break, and that be coordinated with Microsoft with a warning in VS update. A lot of people in VS suggestions support a easy to rollback a VS update, perhaps it needs more upvotes.

Subarnarek_G_Intel

Armando,

Can you confirm which version of 2019 Compiler are you using and with which VS version where your code fails? Using 2018 may not be a good option. Also while updating your VS it may be a good option to check the compatibility with the ICL version.

Regards,

Subarna

0 Kudos
Armando_L_A_
New Contributor I

Hi Subarna,

I was using Intel 2019.1, Update 2.  Later, I tried Update 4, with similar results.

We retracted to Intel 2018 with VS 2017 and everything OK, as it was.

I am not feeling safe using the last Intel Compiler, we had several problems with routines that were stable since 2012-2013. Sorry to say that.

Thanks.

Armando

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

VS 16.8.2 is supported in oneAPI version of ICL 19.1

AbhishekD_Intel

Hi,

As we haven't heard back from you, we are considering that your issue has been resolved.

We will no longer monitor this thread. If you require any additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. 

Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Warm Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos