Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

Are Intel C++ Runtime Libraries Complete?

Simkin__Dan
Beginner

I am using Intel Parallel Studio XE 2020. Do the runtime libraries supplied with the Intel C++ compiler replace all of the functionality supplied by the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime libraries?

If so, how do I keep the DLL I am building in Visual Studio from referencing the Microsoft libraries? This cannot be as simple as using the /NODEFAULTLIB linker option, because when I do this, I get errors like this:

>ipo: : warning #11021: unresolved free
>        Referenced in ipo_1142035obj3.obj
>        Referenced in MSVCRT.lib(delete_scalar.obj)

If the Intel runtime libraries do not completely replace the Microsoft runtime libraries, then what functionality is missing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi

The Intel Parallel Studio automatically integrates with Visual studio.

You can change to Intel C++ compiler from Microsoft visual studio c++ compiler by the following the steps mentioned in the below document at

option 2 step 2.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/get-started-with-cpp-compiler-windows

Please reach out to us if you face any issues.

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Simkin__Dan
Beginner

Thank you for your comment, Prasanth.
I have already switched my Visual Studio project to use the Intel C++ compiler. It looks like the "option 2 step 2" you reference involves setting the build configuration, specifically C/C++ properties. I have already changed some of the properties. Which properties do I need to change to eliminate my dependence on the VC++ runtime libraries?

Dan Simkin

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi

Why do you want to remove the dependencies on VC++ runtime libraries?

Is there any specific use case scenario or are you facing any errors while using both?

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Simkin__Dan
Beginner

Hi Prasanth,

I am not facing any errors, it's just inconvenient to have to install two sets of runtime libraries (Microsoft and Intel) every time I deploy to a new server.

Also, it's bad practice to load a library that's not used (uses resources etc).

Dan Simkin

0 Kudos
PrasanthD_intel

Hi Dan,

We are forwarding this issue to the concerned team.

We will get back to you soon.

Thanks

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

AFAIK, Intel compiler has dependencies on Microsoft such as header files and some other functionalities. For example, Intel compiler may replace any mem calls to Intel's optimized ones, but also provides option to use the standard ones from Microsoft's.

0 Kudos
Simkin__Dan
Beginner

Viet Hoang,

What mem calls are you talking about? malloc and free?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

memcpy, memset, memcmp… as an example.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Let us know if this is still an issue. Otherwise, we will close it.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

We will no longer respond to this thread.  

If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thank

0 Kudos