Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Assembly Language Programming

kstrain
Beginner
I am looking for an Assembler/Debugger that handles the instructions for Intel 2010 Core chips and x64 instructions. I am running under Windows 64 and Visual Studio 2010 inline assembly is not supported on this OS. Intel employees must use software to assemble/debug instructions on their own chips. Is this software commercially available?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution
levicki
Valued Contributor I
- If I remember correctly Intel does not produce native 64-bit debugger, someone correct me if I am wrong.
- Debugging can be done using Microsoft Debugging Tools.
- You might want to consider IDA Pro as well.

Finally, you should be able to debug assembler code from Visual Studio as well provided that you get a version which supports the instruction sets that you require.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Aubrey_W_
New Contributor I
I have moved this to the Intel C++ Compiler forum, since we can get a more authoritative answer on the matter of inline assembly support in Windows 64. Hopefully someone can suggest some alternative solutions, if needed, as well.

Thanks for your question.

==
Aubrey W.
Intel Software Network Support
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
OP is correct that Visual Studio compatible X64 compilers don't support inline assembly. I don't know how you'd find a "more authoritative" answer. The selection of intrinsics was expanded, some by MS, some by Intel, so as to make inline assembly unnecessary in many cases. The mingw32-64 project provides some tools along this line, but most people reading this forum would rightly avoid that route. Presumably, MSDN fans would consider ML64. I detect a premise from OP that people would avoid linux, of which I'm doubtful.
0 Kudos
kstrain
Beginner

I'll restate the question differently. What software do Intel employees use to assemble and debug software on their Intel 2010 Core 64-bit processors? Is it commercially available? Also, does the Intel C++ Compiler include an assembler and debugger? I don't need to mix it with C or C++ code "inline", just need to assemble and debug with register tracking and trace.

Thanks,

Keith Strain

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
Intel compiler engineers write code in C/C++ and the compiler can generate object code directly without going through assembler.

You may use Intel debugger for debugging in general and investigating the register values for latest Intel processors
0 Kudos
shyaki
Beginner
Intel c++ compiler supports the inline assembly on 32bit OS.
0 Kudos
kstrain
Beginner

Is Intel Debugger a separate product or included in the C/C++ compiler suite? I don't recall Intel Debugger listed as a product.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
idb is included with Intel compilers for linux.
0 Kudos
kstrain
Beginner

Thank you. Is there anything for debugging assembly language from Intel that runs under Windows 64?

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
- If I remember correctly Intel does not produce native 64-bit debugger, someone correct me if I am wrong.
- Debugging can be done using Microsoft Debugging Tools.
- You might want to consider IDA Pro as well.

Finally, you should be able to debug assembler code from Visual Studio as well provided that you get a version which supports the instruction sets that you require.
0 Kudos
kstrain
Beginner

Thank you very much for your response. IDA Pro is somewhat expensive so I went for Microsoft Debugging Tools. I was able to use Windbg and disassemble and trace my code. There is one difficulty with the package in that it claims it couldn't find the symbols after setting up the correct symbol path, but they are there. By typing U(symbolname) it will disassemble the code showing it's location.

Your help is appreciated.

Keith Strain

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
You are welcome. Yes, IDA Pro is expensive, but it is a remarkable tool.
0 Kudos