Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Backwards Compatibility

Andres_M_Intel4
Employee

Hi,

I'm trying to build some binaries of several performance benchmarks to be used on different Linux distributions. I've found that building on a recent distro like RH5U3 is making the binary to not work on older versions, such as RH4U5.

My current workaround is to install the Intel C Compiler in the old machine and build the binary there, then the binary will be compatible on newer systems. However, I'm sure this can be avoided somehow.

Perhaps anyone canpoint any compiler option(s) which may force the binaries to be portable.

Thanks in advance.

-- Andres

0 Kudos
2 Replies
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
You can build static form but i think is an wrong way also with last kernel
impossible ... some problem (with modules and other sides C++).
Councils do not use this way , better that you build new binaries accorded version. easy,
You have actually (free style Rh) the last Fedora 12 free or other recent distro that work very well.
also you have old version ICC if your machines have not new processors
Kind regards
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Yes, it's generally advisable to build on the oldest version of glibc which will be in use at run time. glibc is advertised as attempting to support compatibility in that direction. Similar considerations apply, within limits, to the use of shared libraries provided with Intel compilers (e.g. when built with 10.1 compilers, it will run with 11.1 libraries).
0 Kudos