Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Batch Build stops for selected 32-bit and 64-bit platforms in VS and MessageBox displayed '64-bit compiler is Not installed'

SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

Batch Build stops for selected 32-bit and 64-bit platforms in VS and MessageBox displayed a message that 64-bit compiler is Not installed.

When a MessageBox is displayed with a message like '64-bit compiler is Not installed' a developer should press OK button to resume the build process. So, the MessageBox stops the Build process completely.

I understand that all 64-bit configurations could be un-selected in the Batch Build dialog box but wouldn't it better to show a text message in the Output Window instead? In that case the Build process won't stop.

Environment to reproduce the problem is as follows:

- Windows 7 or XP ( any version / edition )

- Any version / edition of Visual Studio

- Any 32-bit Intel C++ compiler integrated with Visual Studio ( 64-bit Intel C++ compilr should not be installed )

- Any C/C++ project that is intended for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JenniferJ

I usually install both compilers, so have not seen this issue. It seems something can be improved.

Would you please send a screen capture if it's convinient?

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>I usually install both compilers, so have not seen this issue. It seems something can be improved. Unfortunately on 32-bit Windows XPs ( Professional and Home Editions ) only 32-bit Intel C++ compilers versions 8.1 and 12.1 are installed. >>Would you please send a screen capture if it's convinient? Yes and please take a look: x64bitcompilernotinstalled.jpg As soon as a developer presses OK button an error message Error: Cancelled is displayed in Output Window of Visual Studio.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I understand that all 64-bit configurations could be un-selected in the Batch Build dialog box but wouldn't it better to >>show a text message in the Output Window instead? In that case the Build process won't stop... Unfortunately, when 32-bit and 64-bit platforms for a project unselected in the Batch Build a 64-bit version of Intel C++ compiler invoked anyway. So, it doesn't solve the problem and a developer should monitor the build process.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Hi Sergey, 

do you get the same error when you do batch-build for Itanium config? Could you try ? 

I'm not getting this error with "Itanium" config, and it should. 

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Jennifer, >>...do you get the same error when you do batch-build for Itanium config? No and I need to verify. >>Could you try ? Do you mean when a Linker option Target Machine is set to Itanium ( IA64 )? I'll try it and let you know. I'd like to provide some additional technical information and I hope that it will help. So, a software engineer who will investigate the problem should look for the following piece of code ( or something like this ): ... MessageBox( NULL, _T("Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Intel(R) 64 is not installed"), _T("File finding"), MB_ICONWARNING | MB_OK ); ... As you can see I've bolded a first argument ( NULL ) of the function MessageBox. The NULL means, that the window with the message won't have an owner and this is what MSDN says: ...Handle to the owner window of the message box to be created. If this parameter is NULL, the message box has no owner window... So, ideally it should look like: ... MessageBox( GetActiveWindow(), _T("Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Intel(R) 64 is not installed"), _T("File finding"), MB_ICONWARNING | MB_OK ); ... and in that case the owner of the window with the message will be Visual Studio. However, as I've mentioned in my 1st post, a simple message to the Output Window without a call to MessageBox function is an ideal solution.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>...do you get the same error when you do batch-build for Itanium config? >> >>No and I need to verify. Verified and I don't have a configuration for Itanium platform. >>>>Could you try ? >> >>Do you mean when a Linker option Target Machine is set to Itanium ( IA64 )? I'll try it and let you know. Verified and the same message is displayed. Note: Here is a screenshot of available configurations: listofconfigurations.jpg
0 Kudos