Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Binary distribution restrictions?

Steve_V_
Beginner

I'm thinking of buying/saving up for the Intel Composer suite for linux, and I'm wondering if I will be able to take the binaries I make and freely distribute them. 

On a similar note, has anyone built the latest (4.2) linux kernel with ICC yet?  Is there a performance boost?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Steve,
Glad, you're contemplating on purchasing the product. Yes, you can redistribute binaries built with our compiler, as at this time, there are no royalties or other costs associated with redistribution of the binaries. Additionally, we have a list of redistributable libraries that come with our compiler package as well. Hope this helps.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Besides a list of redistributable libraries, there is a package of redistributable shared object libraries.

As to the possibility of gaining performance by building Linux with Intel compilers, it seems that specific criteria would be needed. In several cases, the need for the intel libraries supplied with intel compiler is much less than it once was. In others, such as blas libraries, improvements may be achieved by building with more current gnu or Intel compilers than those used  for the distribution, but still the intel performance libraries (mkl et al.) should be better.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

On a similar note, has anyone built the latest (4.2) linux kernel with ICC yet?  Is there a performance boost?
Tim makes a good point on building for performance (on the question above, which I forgot to respond earlier!). I've to check with the author if there'a any latest paper on building the kernel with the latest release of the compiler. In the meantime, the link to   https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-compiler-for-linux-kernel-building should give more details as well.

_Kittur 

0 Kudos