Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Bug: miscompiling i++ >= max

Xi_W_
Beginner
icc 13.0.1 20121010, 64-bit Linux Test cases are from the Linux kernel. 1. Consider this simple program. icc miscompiles it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ int count(int i) { if (i++ >= 0x7FFFFFFF) __builtin_trap(); return i; } #include #include int main(int argc, char **argv) { int x = atoi(argv[1]); printf("%d\n", count(x)); } ------------------------------------------------------------------------ This is the expected result, compiled with -O0. $ icc -O0 t.c $ ./a.out 0 1 This might be an icc bug with -O2. $ icc -O2 t.c $ ./a.out 0 Segmentation fault (core dumped) icc incorrectly folds (i++ >= 0x7FFFFFFF) into true. Do you happen to know why? 2. Consider a slightly different version. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ int count(int i, int max) { if (i++ >= max) __builtin_trap(); return i; } #include #include int main(int argc, char **argv) { int x = atoi(argv[1]); int max = atoi(argv[2]); printf("%d %d %d\n", x, max, count(x, max)); } ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The behavior changes from -O0 to O2. $ icc -O0 t.c $ ./a.out 2147483647 2147483647 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $ icc -O2 t.c $ ./a.out 2147483647 2147483647 2147483647 2147483647 -2147483648 icc turns (i++ >= max) into (++i > max). Strictly speaking, this is not a bug in icc as per the C standard, because 1) signed integer overflow is undefined behavior, and 2) icc is allowed to assume i++ never overflows. My question is, does icc provide anything like gcc's -fno-strict-overflow or -fwrapv to disable such optimizations based on signed integer overflow?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, thank you for reporting this! I think both cases are a bug (likely the same one) and filed a defect ticket for engineering (DPD200240103). I'm going to let you know about the progress. Regarding... - -fno-strict-overflow: That's already supported with Intel(R) Composer XE 2011 Update 10 and higher. - -fwrapv: We already have a feature request for it but no plan on the horizon yet. I've added you and am going to report here once it's available. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Xi_W_
Beginner

Thanks for the update!

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I've just seen the official validation of the ticket (DPD200240103) for this problem. Starting already with Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 SP1, this problem is fixed now.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner

Thanks!

0 Kudos