Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Building Boost with Intel Compiler 15 64bit mode on Windows leads to internal compiler errors

Andre_N_
Beginner

Hi

I tried to build the boost library with the Intel Compiler 15:
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.4.221 Build 20150407

My operating system is Windows 7 64bit Professional and I want to build the 64bit version of boost.

However the compile fails with an internal compiler error:

compile-c-c++ installation\intel64\boost\bin.v2\libs\serialization\build\intel-vc14-win-15.0\release\address-model-64\link-static\threading-multi\basic_text_iprimitive.obj 
basic_text_iprimitive.cpp 
": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem. 
** Segmentation violation signal raised. ** 
Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance. 

compilation aborted for libs\serialization\src\basic_text_iprimitive.cpp (code 4) 

call "D:\Compiler\Intel\Composer XE 2015\bin\iclvars.bat" ia32_intel64 vs2015 > nul 
    icl @"installation\intel64\boost\bin.v2\libs\serialization\build\intel-vc14-win-15.0\release\address-model-64\link-static\threading-multi\basic_text_iprimitive.obj.rsp" 

...failed compile-c-c++ installation\intel64\boost\bin.v2\libs\serialization\build\intel-vc14-win-15.0\release\address-model-64\link-static\threading-multi\basic_text_iprimitive.obj...
Is this an known error? Does anyone have experience with boost build on windows?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Shenghong_G_Intel

Are you using vs2015? If possible, you may upgrade to v16.0 initial release to try (as, VS2015 may have some issues with v15.0, because v15.0 is released earlier than VS2015.)

At the same time, could you please provide me the detailed steps to reproduce the error? Which version of boost you are building? What configurations and command lines you are using? I'll try to reproduce your issue in my side.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Andre_N_
Beginner

Hi Shenghong

The boost version is 1.59. Unfortunately I do not have any further information about this issue, since I deleted all log files yesterday.

However, I downloaded the Intel Compiler 16.0 release and with this I can compile boost 1.59 without errors. So maybe it is really an incompatibility issue with vc2015.

Best regards,
André

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Andre,

Thank you for the update. It is great that it works with v16.0. Then, it is an issue of v15.0 for VS2015, we do see some incompatiblity issues for v15.0 recently, and some are fixed in v15.0 U4, and some may not yet.

Please report to us if you see any other issues when working with VS2015.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos