Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Building a Linux kernel with ICC

Kevin_W_6
Beginner

Hello,
I have looked over the web for a tutorial and a sample patch of how 
to build a recent Linux kernel with Intel C compiler.
I found the LinuxDNA project in:  http://www.linuxdna.com/
This site has some patches for building a 2.6 kernel with ICC.
However, the 2.6 kernel is really outdated, and also the ICC versions
these patches refer to are quite outdated.

I also saw an Intel white paper of 8 pages, "Building Linux* Kernel
with Intel® C++ Compiler for Linux*", 
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/article/146679/linuxkernelbuildwhitepaper.pdf
This white paper provides a short partial example wrapper script.
It says there: "Building the Linux kernel with the Intel C++ Compiler (icc) is an ongoing project
at Intel."

I am looking for a patch against a recent Linux kernel with a recent Intel C compiler which 
will provide us a way to build, boot and test a recent Linux Kernel compiled with ICC,
with an explanataion about the steps needed. I will appreciate if Intel supporters in 
these forum will provide such info.

Regards,
Kevin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Kevin,
I am not aware of any patches provided or maintained by the product team per-se. That said, I've pinged the author of that paper (Feilong) to respond to you and let you know if there's any updated paper etc., or any pointers he may have on the steps needed accordingly, thanks.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Kevin,

icc 16.0 compiles more recent Linux kernels out-of-box.  Source code patch is not needed.  You may try kernel 3.18.  Build command line is as simple as 

make CC=icc HOSTCC=icc

Thanks.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks Feilong, for the confirmation.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
felix_s_1
Beginner

Hi everyone,

A bit of the same question to an old thread - does anyone have any experience re-building FreeBSD using the Intel Compiler? I guess that would only be possible using the 2016 toolkit?

If anyone has any information on this topic it would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos