Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

C++ 19.1 Update 1 Incompatible with Visual Studio 2019 16.6

Mentzer__Stuart

It appears that updating to Visual Studio 2019 16.6.0 breaks Intel C++ 19.1 Update 1. I'm seeing incorrect std::find behavior but there may be other issues. I realize that 16.6 isn't listed in the (not always accurate or up to date) compatibility doc but I thought I'd note this issue here for the sake of other Intel C++ users. If anyone knows a work-around that would help since downgrading VS is non-trivial.

Stuart

0 Kudos
8 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

We are trying to replicate the issue on our side and we will get back to you soon. 

Meanwhile, could you please share your sample source code that would help us to investigate more. 

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
Mentzer__Stuart

With a full clean and rebuild cycle I'm not seeing the problem right now so it could just be a binary incompatibility. I'll report back if I learn more.

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Stuart,

Currently, 16.5 version of Visual Studio2019 is officially supported with the Intel C++ compiler as 16.6 was released after PSXE 2020 U1 release. However, it should work with 16.6 as well.

However, it looks like your issue is resolved. So please let me know if I can close this thread?

Regards,

Goutham

0 Kudos
Mentzer__Stuart

With clean builds I'm still not seeing any problems so I think you can close this thread. But there does seem to be a binary incompatibility between VC 16.5 and 16.6 or some other reason that I got a broken build with the 19.1 and 16.6 combination -- something for the developers to be aware of.

Thanks,
Stuart

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the confirmation, we are glad to know that your issue is resolved. 

Regarding binary incompatibility between Visual Studio 16.5 and 16.6 you mentioned. Could you please elaborate more on what do you mean by "binary incompatibility" and how did you verify it.

Please provide the details, so that we will be able to investigate more on it.

Thanks

Goutham 

0 Kudos
Mentzer__Stuart

After the Visual Studio 16.6.0 update my application became buggy, which I traced back to std::find giving nonsense results on a vector of pointers. I thought I had done a clean build at that point but maybe I hadn't. When I did a clean build a day or two later the application was fine. This is all I know so far. If I see more strange behavior I will add a note on this thread.

Thanks,
Stuart

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Stuart,

As your issue is resolved, we are closing this thread.

Please feel free to raise a new thread in case of any further issues. 

Have a good day!

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
Subarnarek_G_Intel

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread. If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only

0 Kudos