Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

C++ Composer XE 2011 Update 2 integration problem with VS2010

Andreas_Rost
Beginner

Hi @all

I've got a problem with all version of Intel C++ Composer up to the brandnew Update 2.

I've installed Visual C++ 2010 Professional (German edition) and installed the C++ Composer.

The latter integrated well into VS 2008 and 2005 and didn't show any error regarding its 2010 integration.

But there are no signs of an VS 2010 integration (of course I've checked it during installation process).

When opening the VS 2010 About dialog, it shows Intel Visual Fortran, the Intel Inspector and Intel VTune but no signs of the C++ Composer.

Any ideas for this problem?

Regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
It seems like the installation did not install the IDE component for VS2010 under C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets. I would try the following:

1. Uninstall the latest compiler pkg

2. Reinstall the compiler again: select Custom, and make sure IDE integration for VS2010 is listed and checked.

To run number 2 above right click the installation program, select "Run as administrator" to run with proper permission.

Thanks,
--mark

0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Mark,

thanks for your answer.
I did both steps several times without any success...
The IDE component seems to be installed though (but doesn't show up
Maybe the problem lays in the fact, that it is installed in a different directory:

C:\Programme\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0
and
C:\Programme\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0
respectively

The x64 branch of the integration doesn't make any sense on a x86 OS - doesn't it?
I use WinXP SP3 and VC 2010 Professional both in their german version.

Any ideas why integration doesn't show up inside VC 2010?

Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There is an Intel64 cross compiler to support building X64 applications on 32-bit OS. It requires the optional C++ X64 components of Visual Studio. You're right, few people would have a use for this, so it need not be installed. You probably want only the ia32 Intel compiler, which requires only the primary Microsoft C++ component of Visual Studio.
Is your directory structure different from Windows default? I suppose that could expose weaknesses in the install program.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
So you have the German version of the VS2010. It might be related to it.

Do you see "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\Win32\PlatformToolsets\Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0\1033"?

Try this:
1. rename the "1033" to "1031"
2. open VS2010 again, check if Help>About displays the Intel C++ Composer XE integration.

Let us know if it works.

thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

My directory is below "c:\Programme\..." instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." because I've got a German version of Windows XP.
But besides of that it contains both the 1031 and the 1033 subdir which have got the same contents.

So - any other ideas?
Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Program Files (x86) (or the German version equivalent) would appear only in Windows X64. From the above, I think you indicated you have the 32-bit Windows, and may wish to install only C++ for ia32 (not the Intel64 cross compiler). I suppose there is still a question of whether c:\Programme\ installation is recognized automatically. If not, the installation should ask you to point out your MSVC installation, but if that fails, you may have to edit iclvars.bat and possibly icl.cfg files.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Ok.
Please check those files are copied to the correct location.

The dir names are in bold. The files under it are listed below it. Check with your system to see if they exist.

c:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Intel\C++:
ICMnuPkg.Composer.dll
ICMnuPkg.Composer.pkgdef
ICMnuPkg.CompPro.dll
ICMnuPkg.CompPro.pkgdef
ICProjConvPkg.dll
ICProjConvPkg.pkgdef
ICProperties.xml
IntelCppOptPkg.pkgdef
IntelLibOptPkg.pkgdef
IntelPkg.dll
IntelPkg.pkgdef

PDELauncher
extension.vsixmanifest
IntelPDELauncher.dll

c:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies
IntelCppOptPkg.dll
IntelLibOptPkg.dll

c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICMsgTask.dll

The framework version is depending on your version. so it maybe different folder name.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

My VS2010 is installed below D:\Programme instead of C:\Programme.
So I looked for the files at drive d:

Only two of the files mentioned do not exist at:

d:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Intel\C++:

ICMnuPkg.Composer.dll
ICMnuPkg.Composer.pkgdef

The rest is present.

The framework is installed at:

c:\winnt\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319

and contains
Intel.Build.ICLTasks.ICMsgTask.dll

So there are two things which might be the reason:

1.) the 2 missing files and
2.) that VS2010 isn't installed at drive C: but at D: instead

I hope that helps?
Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

one additional note about the 2 missing files.
I actually wanted to extract them manually from the CAB archives of the installer, but they don't even exist inside the installation package...

Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
My fault on the two extra files I have. That's left from another installation.

so your env seems good to me. this is likely related to the VS2010 being installed on D: drive. Let me try it on our internal system and see what I can find.

so please wait. and if others know a work-around for it, please jump in.

thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

But I haven't found any workaround yet.
So I will probably have to wait for your answer.

By the way: Intel Fortran, Inspector & Amplifier (all of them the newest 2011 versions) do integrate well into this VS2010 installation. Maybe this helps you to find the problem.

Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

I tried on a winxp sp3 with VS2010 on D:, it works for me.

Did you install the full Composer XE pkg "w_ccompxe_2011.2.154.exe" ? or just the ia32 bit one?

Jennifer

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Andreas,

Here is one thing you might try:

1. Uninstall Composer completely
2. Manually unpack composer update 2 setup file you downloaded (WinRAR, WinZIP or 7-Zip can do that)
3. Manually unpack Fortran, Inspector, or Amplifier setup file you downloaded
4. Overwrite composer setup.exe with the setup.exe from of the above that work
5. Try to install Composer again by running setup.exe
0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

that's odd...
I used the full package named "w_ccompxe_2011.2.154.exe"

So have you got any other idea, how to check what's wrong with my installation?

Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos
Andreas_Rost
Beginner
Hi Igor,

thanks for your answer.
But I don't understand what sense this should make.
The setup's of Fortran and so on are apt to install totally different files than the one provided for C++, aren't they?

Regards
Andreas
0 Kudos