Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

C++NewerLib: .so.6.0.10

clinecraigue
Beginner
I am trying to install Intel C++ Compiler and my system has: libstdc++.so.6.0.10. But on step 4 the installation script says: missing critical pre-requisite: libstdc++.so.5. It seems that I have a newer version. So, how do I proceed?
Thank you
Cline
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - clinecraigue
I am trying to install Intel C++ Compiler and my system has: libstdc++.so.6.0.10. But on step 4 the installation script says: missing critical pre-requisite: libstdc++.so.5. It seems that I have a newer version. So, how do I proceed?

There is a separate forum for Intel C++, but you should find hints on this subject both here and there.
First, there is a checklist in the installation notes, beginning with installing the g++ which corresponds with the icpc architecture you intend to install (Intel64 for x86_64 64-bit, ia32 for 32-bit),.... If your g++ is a recent version, you should be installing icpc 11.1.
Exact prerequisites for Intel64 changed with icpc 11.0, with the change from 32-bit cross compiler to 64-bit native compiler.
So, you may wish to go to the C++ forum and give more details about versions, if you are still stuck. In case it will give hints, on this system I have
$ rpm -qa |grep libstdc++
compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-61
libstdc++-4.1.2-42.el5
libstdc++-devel-4.1.2-42.el5
Creating a symlink from libstdc++.so.6 to libstdc++.so.5 (in both your 32- and 64-bit installations) has been known to work, in the case where you don't have an option to install something like compat-libstdc++. This should not come up on a supported installation. In RH 5.0 the menu option for that was missing, but it could be installed from the .rpm included in the distro.
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

It would be better to install libstdc++.so.5. This library is required for both icc 11.x ia32 and Intel 64 bit versions. This is mentioned in icc release notes.

Changes in major version number means incompatible code.
0 Kudos