Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

C++ compiler 13.0 beta, "error : backend signals" when compiling tbbmalloc.dll

pkshan
Beginner
Software used:
VS2010
Intel C++ compiler XE 13 beta update1
TBB 4.0 update4
any comments?
Thanks.
2> Building with Intel C++ Compiler XE 13.0
2>ClCompile:
2> ***** ClCompile (Win32 - Intel C++)
2> backend.cpp
2> large_objects.cpp
2> backref.cpp
2> tbbmalloc.cpp
2> itt_notify.cpp
2> frontend.cpp
2>" : error : backend signals
2>
2>xilink : error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
2>xilink : error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)
2>
2>Build FAILED.
0 Kudos
21 Replies
pkshan
Beginner
Problem solved,
There is an error in my modded frontend.cpp file
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting pkshan
Problem solved,
There is an error in my modded frontend.cpp file

is it possible to share this file with us so we can fix the "internal error" through Intel Premier Support or private post? the compiler should report any error/warning except "internal error".
I probably need the preproccessed file (by adding /EP /P options).

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
"backend signals" often is the last gasp. What additional output should be expected? I was asked months ago to stop using options which used to indicate where the compiler died.
In some cases, it is possible to avoid backend signals by limiting use of Cilk+ syntax.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Looks like the "backend signals" comes from the "frontend.cpp".
can you upload the .i file of"frontend.cpp"? And also the compile options.

2> frontend.cpp

2>" : error : backend signals

0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner

Never mind, it's my mistake, seems my modded "size_t"value is too large
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Ohand I forgot to say Thank you guys.
I am doing a hifi music player project,
I tried your C++ compiler 13.0 beta2 to compile my project, & you know what?
the music player sounds much smoother & refined.even better than 12.1
(The music jitter distortion can benefit a lot by the high peformance compiler)
You guys did an incredible job,Please keep the great work going
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello,

we really appreciate your feedback and it's great you were able to move forward!

Nevertheless, the errors named "backend signals" are internal compiler errors and we're highly interested to get them reproduced (and fixed, of course). May we, Jennifer and I, still ask you for the file frontend.cpp that shows this problem? In any way our compiler should either correctly compile this file or print a proper error message if it cannot.

Thank you in advance & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Hi
Sorry I am unable to reproduce the error,
since things had changed alot. (moved to TBB 4.0 update5)
I mess around the code, & found another backend signals error,
but, I think it's just because I messed up the codes.
Anyway you may try it,
line638: unsigned int order = highestBitPos(size-1);
change "highestBitPos(size-1)" to any value,"1" etc, then the backend signal error comes.
here is the file
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Here are the compiler settings:

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello,

thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately I'm not able to reproduce the problem; I already get errors regarding undefined identifiers... Maybe you changed the headers as well and I don't have those changes.

Let's do it differently:
If you again face such "backend signals" errors from the compiler please provide us the preprocessed output for the source file. You can create it enabling "Preprocess to a File [/P]" option under the "Preprocessor" configuration section. The resulting file (*.i suffix) has all headers already included and it's easier for us to narrow down the problem.
In addition we'd need the full compilation options you selected. For that simply copy the listing in section "Command Line" that's shown under "All Options" (plus "Additional Options", if any). I see you already provided screenshots instead, however, the listing is complete and no options are falling through the cracks.

Finally, no matter how much you "mess" up the code the compiler never must emit "backend signals" errors! Instead it should give you a (self-explanatory) message what's wrong.

Thank you & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Hi
I didn't change the headers,

Anyway,here it is...
Compile options:
/I"." /nologo /W0 /O3 /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /GT /Qipo /Qunroll:0 /Quse-intel-optimized-headers /D "_WINDLL" /GF /MT /Zp1 /GS- /Gy /fp:fast=2 /fp:extended /Qfnsplit- /QxSSE4.1 /Zc:wchar_t- /Zc:forScope- /GR /Fp"C:\Users\Shan\Desktop\tbb40_20120613oss\build\vsproject\ia32\Release-MT\tbbmalloc.pch" /Fa"C:\Users\Shan\Desktop\tbb40_20120613oss\build\vsproject\ia32\Release-MT" /Fo"C:\Users\Shan\Desktop\tbb40_20120613oss\build\vsproject\ia32\Release-MT" /Fd"C:\Users\Shan\Desktop\tbb40_20120613oss\build\vsproject\ia32\Release-MT\vc100.pdb" /Qvec-report0 /Gd
Additional Options:
/D__TBB_LIB_NAME=tbb.lib /DDO_ITT_NOTIFY /DUSE_WINTHREAD /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0501 /D__TBB_BUILD=1 /I../../src /I../../src/rml/include /I../../include /I../../src/tbbmalloc /I../../src/tbbmalloc /I.
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello,

with the latest version (Intel Composer XE 2011 Update 11) I'm not seeing this error. Are you using an older version?

Thank you & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Hi

I am using Intel C++ Composer XE2013 beta update2.
Yes, there is no problem on 2011update11
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Jennifer and I tried on multiple systems with Intel Composer XE 2013 BETA Update 2 and we still don't see the error.

We don't want to stress your patience but asking for a very last approach to help us verifying the problem. We highly appreciate your efforts!

Could you run the compilation manually using "icl.exe" via the provided command line environments (Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013\Command Prompt\Parallel Studio XE with Intel Compiler XE v13.0 Pre-Release (Beta) Update 2)? For your example, it would be "Intel 64 Visual Studio 2010 mode" if I'm not mistaken.

Please also provide the output of "icl.exe" (without any arguments) and the preprocessed file for further clarification.

If you cannot reproduce the problem via the command line either there might be the following reason:
If you have multiple versions of the Intel Composer XE installed you can select the version to use in the project properties. Maybe you have installed the BETA version (13.0) but selected the 12.1 compiler. You can make sure when omitting the option "/nologo" and look at the output window during compilation. It'll show you the banner from the compiler including its version.

Thank you very much & best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
pkshan
Beginner
Hi
Here is my entire TBB 4.0 update 5 package:
tbb40_20120613oss.zip

Use VS2010 to launchmakefile.sln,build tbbmalloc, you should see the backend signal error.
(Only the frontend.cpp &tbbmalloc.cpp are modified
Because I got the error below with the original tbbmalloc.cpp):
2>ipo : warning #11021: unresolved _ITT_DoOneTimeInitialization
2> Referenced in ipo_2452obj3.obj
2>ipo : warning #11021: unresolved _ITT_DoOneTimeInitialization2> Referenced in ipo_2452obj3.obj
0 Kudos
piyakhan_pkgmail_com
great post buddy..
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello,

thank you very much!
We've been able to reproduce the problem. It's happening during linker phase when IPO is turned on and only appears for 13.0 BETA compilers. Current workaround is to turn off IPO. 12.1 compilers are not affected by this problem.

To fix this problem ASAP a defect ticket (DPD200235088) has been filed. I'll let you know as I learn more.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Georg,

It took 72 days ( from May 27th to August 6th ) toreproduce the problem!

This is a Feature Request. It looks like Intel C++ compiler needs a softwaresubsystem for Automated Reporting of
all Internal Errors over the Internet.

A mode for Automated Reportingcould be set to On or Off during installation of Intel C++ compiler.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There's an automatic reporting pop-up in Amplifier-XE but it would be a backward step to institute such a thing without producing results. Anyway, beta compiler questions aren't properly handled on this forum.
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Sergey,

this is an internal error, hence a defect and not a feature request. We're treating it serious and fix ASAP.
I'm sorry for the delay but for BETA products the way to report problems is via https://premier.intel.com/, not primarily the forum. The SLA for the former is guaranteed, for the forum it's optional. However, we're trying to react as quickly as possible.

The problem at hand was complicated as it looked like an error during first phase compilation but indeed was a problem during linking (with IPO: second phase compilation).

Any automated reporting of such problems is not meaningful because of various reasons, like IP, amount of data to transfer and finally integration problems for automated build systems.
We treat IP from our customers very serious. We'll ask for data if there's really a need for it rather than transferring it automatically.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos