cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can compile source code but incorrect executable

Jump to solution
I'm trying the icc and icpc (11.0) compiler on my software product on Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4.7.
The software compiled OK, but when I ran it I got incorrect results, I'd tried -O3, -02, -O1 and -Os
they all failed. The only option works is -O0.

Pl. help?

icc -DLINUX -DLINUX9 -DSUN -DSOLARIS -DJDK1_1_1 -Wno-deprecated -static -DSUSE -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/081/lib/intel64 -O1 -DNO_THREAD -DNO_REG -DNO_JAVA -DDQOUT -DPRODUCTION ../o5/a.o ../o5/b.o ../o5/msg.o -o ../exe/vcdgen -lm -L../lib -lnsl -lcxaguard -ldecimal -lguide -lguide_stats -limf -liomp5 -liompprof5 -liompstubs5 -lipgo -lirc -lirc_s -lompstub -lsvml -lstdc++ -lm

Terry Chan
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Black Belt
Quoting - twcdynetix.com

icc -DLINUX -DLINUX9 -DSUN -DSOLARIS -DJDK1_1_1 -Wno-deprecated -static -DSUSE -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.0/081/lib/intel64 -O1 -DNO_THREAD -DNO_REG -DNO_JAVA -DDQOUT -DPRODUCTION ../o5/a.o ../o5/b.o ../o5/msg.o -o ../exe/vcdgen -lm -L../lib -lnsl -lcxaguard -ldecimal -lguide -lguide_stats -limf -liomp5 -liompprof5 -liompstubs5 -lipgo -lirc -lirc_s -lompstub -lsvml -lstdc++ -lm

If you're so tempted to link all the alternate libraries together, please desist, and use the compiler options to make a choice. There's no reason to link any of the OpenMP or OpenMP stub libraries, if you haven't set -openmp or -parallel. Likewise, there's no need for -lsvml if you use similar compile and link options, and no need for -lstdc++ -lm if you use icpc to drive the link.
If the objective, hinted at in some other replies, is to use options resembling MSVC++, you should consider which options you use for that compiler and pick something similar for icpc. If using /fp:fast for MSVC++, consider -fp-model source, or, if using the VC default /fp:precise, use -fp-model precise. -O1 is OK if the intention is to avoid auto-vectorization. Certainly, if you find that optimization causes your code to break, you should try one of those -fp-model options, as well as trying icpc -diag-enable sc to hunt for problems.
There's no way we can know the meaning of all those defines, but I would be concerned that LINUX9 might mean Red Hat 9, and so would probably conflict with SUSE.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

We could help you if you can share your test acse with us. You could also submit the issue to Intel Premier support at http://premier.intel.com.
0 Kudos
Black Belt
Quoting - twcdynetix.com

If you're so tempted to link all the alternate libraries together, please desist, and use the compiler options to make a choice. There's no reason to link any of the OpenMP or OpenMP stub libraries, if you haven't set -openmp or -parallel. Likewise, there's no need for -lsvml if you use similar compile and link options, and no need for -lstdc++ -lm if you use icpc to drive the link.
If the objective, hinted at in some other replies, is to use options resembling MSVC++, you should consider which options you use for that compiler and pick something similar for icpc. If using /fp:fast for MSVC++, consider -fp-model source, or, if using the VC default /fp:precise, use -fp-model precise. -O1 is OK if the intention is to avoid auto-vectorization. Certainly, if you find that optimization causes your code to break, you should try one of those -fp-model options, as well as trying icpc -diag-enable sc to hunt for problems.
There's no way we can know the meaning of all those defines, but I would be concerned that LINUX9 might mean Red Hat 9, and so would probably conflict with SUSE.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos