Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Can't use Intel Compiler 12.0 with Visual C++ 2012

zer0nes
Beginner

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 and Intel Composer 2011.

I have a very simple HelloWorld program. When I tried to compile this program using icl

[plain]& 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Intel/ComposerXE-2011/bin/intel64/icl.exe' HelloWorld.cpp[/plain]

I got the following long list of errors.

[plain]

C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0/VC/INCLUDE/xtr1common(414): error: "auto" type cannot appear in top-level function type
_HAS_ONE_TYPE(result_type);
^

C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0/VC/INCLUDE/xtr1common(414): error: expected a ";"
_HAS_ONE_TYPE(result_type);
^

C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0/VC/INCLUDE/stddef.h(36): error: identifier "__nullptr" is undefined
namespace std { typedef decltype(__nullptr) nullptr_t; }

[/plain]

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
zer0nes
Beginner

My guess is that I didn't load the variables. However, when I tried to "iclvars.bat intel64", I got the following error.

[plain]ERROR: Visual Studio 2005, 2008 or 2010 is not found in the system.[/plain]

I have Visual Studio 2012.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The 12.0 compiler doesn't support  VS2012, as the 13.0 compiler does.  If you need to operate this way, maybe C mode will work.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...My guess is that I didn't load the variables... Please attach a file with source codes of the test and a complete command line of Intel C++ compiler options you've used.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

TimP is right, the Intel C++ Composer XE 12.x does not support VS2012.

Upgrade to Intel C++ Composer XE 2013. You can download the eval of Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 for Windows.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
zer0nes
Beginner

I know that Composer XE 2011 can't integrate with the VS2012 IDE.

Is it also true that the Intel compiler included in Composer XE 2011 is not compatible with the Visual C++ compiler included in VS2012?

Please confirm.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You've just demonstrated how Microsoft changed the C++ include files so as require updates for plug-in compilers.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Duplicate - Deleted. Sorry about this.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Is it also true that the Intel compiler included in Composer XE 2011 is not compatible with the Visual C++ compiler >>included in VS2012? No, that is Not true. Let's say we don't consider C++11 standard. Do you have any test case(s) you can't compile with Intel C++ compiler v12 and can compile with Visual C++ compiler from VS 2012?
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>...Is it also true that the Intel compiler included in Composer XE 2011 is not compatible with the Visual C++ compiler
>>included in VS2012?

No, that is Not true.

Let's say we don't consider C++11 standard. Do you have any test case(s) you can't compile with Intel C++ compiler v12 and can compile with Visual C++ compiler from VS 2012?

No Sergey. The VS2012's header contains new features that ICL 12.x may not support. you should use ICL 13.x if you have VS2012.

Here is the compatibility options of ICL 13.x:
/Qvc<arg>           enable compatibility with a specific Microsoft* Visual Studio version

• 9   - Microsoft* Visual Studio 2008 compatibility
  • 10  - Microsoft* Visual Studio 2010 compatibility
  • 11  - Microsoft* Visual Studio 2012 compatibility ------------ this option is not available in ICL 12.x
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...No Sergey. The VS2012's header contains new features that ICL 12.x may not support... I wanted to say that in overall they are compatible if some new features are Not used. It means that both C++ compilers will compile C++ codes if they do not have any functionality based on latest features of C++ language, for example, some Platform SDK Win32 examples implemented 5 years ago. zerOnce did not specifiy anything about new headers in VS 2012.
0 Kudos