Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Cannot find icl on Windows

zzzhhh
Beginner

I'm new to intel's software products and I am now following a tutorial of MKL on Windows (link). This tutorial says we can use `icl` or `build` to build the sample code, but when I run them, I was given error:

'icl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

The MKL version is 2019 Initial release and I am running it in Intel Parallel Studio XE 2019 -> Compiler and Performance Libraries -> Command Prompt with Intel Compiler 19.0 -> Compiler 19.0 for intel 64 Visual Studio 2015 environment. I think the environment variables like PATH should be properly set in this CLI. I am using Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015 and 2017 are properly installed. I have checked that all system requirements are met. Also, I have used "Repair" in the installer to make sure MKL is installed correctly. The CPU of my desktop is intel Core i5. So why `icl` and `build` cannot be located? How to fix it? Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Can you give us a few screenshots to take a look?

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
zzzhhh
Beginner

Hi, Viet:

Thanks for your request. Sure, following are screenshots I think useful for your troubleshooting.

This is the screenshot for the installer:

This is how I was instructed to do in the online tutorial

This is the start menu for intel's software on my Windows 10 desktop:

I guess this CLI is like its counterpart in VS2015 in which everything is properly configured, so I click it and run icl in it, but I got the not-found error:

That's all. I hope the cause is simply that intel C++ compiler is not installed, but I think intel is a big company which hire only smartest students, so if any component is required, the installer should automatically install it to make MKL up and running. Please let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

For some reasons, I can't see the pictures. Can you please attach them instead.

Did you install the Intel compiler?

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
zzzhhh
Beginner

The attachment images are overwritten now. I have tried in another OS (ubuntu) with another browser (FireFox), and the images are all shown. So maybe you should change another machine. I don't know whether Intel compiler was installed because, as I explained in the last post, I think smart software engineers recruited by intel should automatically have this component installed if it is required to make MKL up and running. So, is Intel compiler required to run MKL, at least to run the example code? I read the system requirements of MKL, which says MKL supports Visual Studio 2015. So must MKL work with Intel compiler, or the tutorial I mentioned in the original post just uses Intel compiler as ads but actually it can be compiled in VS2015?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

For this example, you need to have Intel compiler installed; because icl is Intel compiler driver; if you don't have it installed, then of course it can't be found. 

You can change icl to cl (to invoke MS compiler) instead.

0 Kudos
zzzhhh
Beginner

Hi, I have installed intel C++ compiler, but still the same error. Then I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2019.0.045\bin to run psxevars with argument intel64. A lot of errors:

Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2019
Copyright (C) 2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel(R) Compiler 19.0 (package 117)

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.0
** Copyright (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat] *** VsDevCmd.bat encountered errors. Environment may be incomplete and/or incorrect. ***
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat] In an uninitialized command prompt, please 'set VSCMD_DEBUG=[value]' and then re-run
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat] vsdevcmd.bat [args] for additional details.
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat] Where [value] is:
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat]    1 : basic debug logging
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat]    2 : detailed debug logging
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat]    3 : trace level logging. Redirection of output to a file when using this level is recommended.
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat] Example: set VSCMD_DEBUG=3
[ERROR:VsDevCmd.bat]          vsdevcmd.bat > vsdevcmd.trace.txt 2>&1

And icl is still not found. Seems that I overestimated the smartness of intel's software engineers. You guys never test after development?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I am not sure what happened at your end, but I don't see any issue on several machines.

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\parallel_studio_xe_2019.0.045\bin>psxevars.bat intel64
Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2019
Copyright (C) 2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Intel(R) Compiler 19.0 (package 117)

** Visual Studio 2017 Developer Command Prompt v15.5.7
** Copyright (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation
[vcvarsall.bat] Environment initialized for: 'x64'

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools>icl
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.0.0.117 Build 20180804
Copyright (C) 1985-2018 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
0 Kudos